Low Digit Delaware Plates (1 Viewer)

Tommy

Royal Flush
Admin
Supporter
Reaction score
When I moved to DE I found out that having a low digit plate is a thing. (see the crazy prices here https://lowdigittags.com/29.html) If your number is low enough, you can legally have the Delaware Historic Plate Company, the only vendor authorized by the DMV, make you a black and white porcelain plate. (or black and stainless) This is because that is how the plate was originally issued. The catch is the plate needs to have been continually registered since it was issued to be transferred to another vehicle, so the low number DE plates selling on eBay are only wall hangers.

When I transferred my vehicle from PA to DE, my friend's wife worked at the DMV and held a low 5 digit plate eligible to be made in B&W porcelain for me. Of course, I got one made because the regular blue and yellow DE plates are ugly and a black plate looks nicer on a silver vehicle.

I saw this in the drive-through this morning. The plate is worth more than the car to somebody.

PXL_20211223_110503932.jpg

This tag came up for sale a few months and I tried to buy it. :whistle: :whistling: It's much lower than my current 5 digit plate but I just liked the way it looked with all the 1s. It sold for more than what I was willing to pay.

E5T0ajbWUAwPMON.jpg

In New York State, county clerks (who typically also function as the head of the local DMV) can issue special plates with their initials plus three numbers.

I realized that a neighboring county’s clerk had the same initials as me, and was able through a friend to get him to issue me one of his plates, with a number that meant something to me.

So now I have in effect a permanent vanity plate which costs the same as an ordinary one!

Last edited:
No buying or selling allowed here. You used to be able to transfer low plates to a family member, but they stopped that about 20 years ago. Now they just have a raffle once a year, for whatever low number plates became available. I won my plate - a four-digit number starting with 2 - in the first raffle they had, about 20 years ago. I think it’s pretty cool.

No buying or selling allowed here. You used to be able to transfer low plates to a family member, but they stopped that about 20 years ago. Now they just have a raffle once a year, for whatever low number plates became available. I won my plate - a four-digit number starting with 2 - in the first raffle they had, about 20 years ago. I think it’s pretty cool.

The DMV recently had a batch of 5 digit plates that they made available by pre-registering on a first come first serve basis online. I bet many of those were put up for re-sale shortly after they received them. 5 digit plates 86999 or lower can go for $500 up to $3K.

The DMV recently had a batch of 5 digit plates that they made available by pre-registering on a first come first serve basis online. I bet many of those were put up for re-sale shortly after they received them. 5 digit plates 86999 or lower can go for $500 up to $3K.
Wow. Like I said, I’ve had my plate since the late 90s and I like it a lot, but I’d sell it in a heartbeat, for a few grand.

In New York State, county clerks (who typically also function as the head of the local DMV) can issue special plates with their initials plus three numbers.

Note that there is a darker underbelly to this practice… Namely that the local clerk’s vanity plates can be used as a signal to law enforcement, “Leave this one alone, they are connected to the county power structure.”

Since mine is from another county, it hasn’t seemed to confer any special treatment.

These are hugely popular in lower slower (Sussex county). Several of my neighbors have 3 digit plates. I have seen a handful of two digit plates over the years. Not sure if I have seen a single digit plate.

I have a green 4 number plate on my car that Governor Chub Peabody gave my mother as a wedding present in 1960 . In the old days before the plate lottery, you needed big time juice to be in the 10,000 club. Pretty much never got pulled over if you had one. If you have a green plate it tells the cops you’ve had a car on the road for over 30 years straight and we’re smart enough to never give your plate up. Crazy rules are you don’t need a front plate if you have a green one. They’ve tried to get rid of them, but haven’t because it’s not worth the effort to try to get the boomers to give them up.

Low number license plates are a thing here in Switzerland too. For the life of me, I can’t understand why.

I remember picking up my first car here from the dealer. The salesperson was so proud that they had gotten me a plate with a relatively low number and he was so disappointed when I had no idea why he was so excited about it.

Low number license plates are a thing here in Switzerland too. For the life of me, I can’t understand why.

I remember picking up my first car here from the dealer. The salesperson was so proud that they had gotten me a plate with a relatively low number and he was so disappointed when I had no idea why he was so excited about it.

This plate from Zurich has been sold two month ago for 226000 francs (about 243000 usd)

9b615132-883f-4304-9fc5-fb6b774a7179.jpeg

https://www.cdt.ch/news/svizzera/la-targa-zh-100-venduta-per-226-mila-franchi-299007

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom