Lou Malnati's - educate me (2 Viewers)

slisk250

Straight Flush
Reaction score
So I'm coming home soon and it looks like I'll be doing a road trip to the Midwest in September. When I think of the Midwest, two things come to mind, sprint car racing and food. It turns out that I'll be driving on I80 and there is a Lou Malnati's in New Lenox, very convenient. So educate me...what deep dish will I be ordering? @Jeff @Jackstraw @abby99

Question #2 - I'll be in Arizona a short while in late August and I'll be damned, there are a few Lou's in the Phoenix Metro area. Has anyone sampled these locations? Are they the same as Lou's in Chicago?

Question #3 - Since I'll be cruising along I80 westbound just south of Chicago, what thin crust spots or hot dog stands are close that I should stop at?

What’s the backstory with you and Lou’s? Not saying I don’t really enjoy it but seems like a big deal for you lol. The classic cheese and the pepperoni are my favorites, sausage was just ok IIRC. Recently ordered some to Boston, haven’t tried any of the delivery yet though. Won’t be the same as fresh but I’ve heard it’s pretty close.

What’s the backstory with you and Lou’s? Not saying I don’t really enjoy it but seems like a big deal for you lol. The classic cheese and the pepperoni are my favorites, sausage was just ok IIRC. Recently ordered some to Boston, haven’t tried any of the delivery yet though. Won’t be the same as fresh but I’ve heard it’s pretty close.

No backstory but the WCB folks swear by it. They can't be wrong, am I right? I love Geno's East but haven't had one in 30 years.

Lou Malnati's: My favorite is sausage and fresh mushrooms. Deep dish, of course. BTW, Lou's is the official pizza of Windy City Blowout meetups.

Lou's in Arizona: It's probably a franchise, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

My favorite Lou's is just butter-crust, pepperoni, and the spinach. Now hear me out, I am not a fan of spinach on pizza at all, but theirs just works. I don't know if it has to do with the garlic they cook it in or what, but I love it.

As far as hot-dogs go, Portillos is everywhere, is a good price, and is great; their menu is also extensive with Chicago staples and everything there is delicious. (Get some chocolate cake as well.) Not great on my Chicago geography, but I also remember going to a place called Gene and Jude's and having the best Chicago Dogs I have had, although I was quite inebriated. Just don't ask them for ketchup or they get angry!

Last edited:
My favorite Lou's is just butter-crust, pepperoni, and the spinach. Now here me out, I am not a fan of spinach on pizza at all, but theirs just works. I don't know if it has to do with the garlic they cook it in or what, but I love it.

As far as hot-dogs go, Portillos is everywhere, is a good price, and is great; their menu is also extensive with Chicago staples and everything there is great. (Get some chocolate cake as well.) Not great on my Chicago geography, but I also remember going to a place called Gene and Jude's and having the best Chicago Dogs I have had, although I was quite inebriated. Just don't ask them for ketchup or they get angry!

what is ketchup? :unsure:

what is ketchup? :unsure:

You'll fit right in there! I actually did not even want any since I don't like it on my dogs, but my asshole friends convinced me to ask for some knowing the place takes pride in giving people shit for wanting ketchup. It was a good laugh/surprise.

Lou Malnati’s is good, although my personal preference is Giordano’s.

Although Portillo’s is fine, if you are going to be in Chicago proper and want a dog, I would go with a classic old-school dive like Lulu’s. Or maybe go to Taylor Street and pick up a beef or dog at Carm’s.

I agree that Gene and Jude’s is great for dogs.

Last edited:
Ah yes, the Midwest. That old Chestnut.

Makes me laugh everytime. Looks pretty east coast to me. Eh @Hornet
Screenshot_20200719_205934.jpg

When I lived there, Pizzeria Uno > Lou's... Looks like Pizzeria Uno has undergone some changes tho... I know they had a franchise here that closed...

Had my first recently.

I was definitely like WTF is this ?

I’m still not sure how I feel about it. But I couldn’t stop eating it.

(this was a flash frozen one not fresh)

C2FA6668-8A66-43B3-BC15-F8B3F45360A2.jpeg

When I lived there, Pizzeria Uno > Lou's... Looks like Pizzeria Uno has undergone some changes tho... I know they had a franchise here that closed...
Uno was big for a minute in NYC and then fell hard and fast in every way. It was pretty shocking to move from stopping in regularly and enjoying myself with friends to not even considering the spot for a meetup meal.

Genos East fan here. Or a little place named Bacinos in the bottom of the Executive plaza hotel in Wacker drive. But lou’s is ok too. Just not my personal favorite.

Pizzeria Uno - or any Chicago pizza isn't going to last long in NY. You just can't beat NY style pizza, though Detroit style is pretty good too.

Sprint car racing??? We all k ow the best Sprint Car Racing is in PA... the day after you hit the ground a Dulles the outlaws are at our favorite track! This Thursday Ninght, Lincoln speedway! 50 plus of the best racers in the country Duke it out on our Beautiful 3/8 mile Oval!

If any locals want to go see some quality racing and enjoy Dirt in their beer well just let us know!!

deep-dish-sausage-pizza.jpg

1) Get the Chicago classic with the butter crust. I can forgive you if you order something else, but not if you order something without the sausage patty. Sausage patty is absolutely required.
2) Lou's > Pieros > Giordanos > Unos > Any New York style > pizza from the rest of the world.
3) I'd love to say that you NEED to get Lou's in Chicago, but the rest of the chain is rock solid. Same pans, same recipe, same ovens. The frozen are good too, but nothing like getting it fresh at the restaurant.
4) Get yourself a good dog (kosher vienna beef) with all the fixings, but don't forget to get yourself a combination sausage/beef while you're here too. It kinda gets forgotten behind the pizza and dogs, but we've got some wicked good Italian Beef places too.

Sprint car racing??? We all k ow the best Sprint Car Racing is in PA... the day after you hit the ground a Dulles the outlaws are at our favorite track! This Thursday Ninght, Lincoln speedway! 50 plus of the best racers in the country Duke it out on our Beautiful 3/8 mile Oval!

If any locals want to go see some quality racing and enjoy Dirt in their beer well just let us know!!

I will do an Eastern swing soon enough. WoO is ok, Kyle is destroying everyone lately....but wings are for indy cars and airplanes. USAC baby...and Eldora is my favorite track to watch now. I used to go to teh Western World Championships every year until they closed Manzy in PHX. That was a big loss for race fans.

Damn, I'm going to order me some Giordanos and have it shipped to me now. This thread is making me crave it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom