Looking for opinions...on these colors/progression (1 Viewer)

jja412

Full House
Reaction score
Was just tooling around with the CPC tool. Nowhere near ready to commit to my own custom set. Just a mental exercise.

Looking for any opinions on:

1. Mold appropriateness for design (and suggestions)

2. Color/spot choices (and possible problems with them)

lcmiragebright.png

Thanks in advance for any constructive criticism or compliments!

Personally I am not a fan of L. Crown. That is just personal preference. But otherwise it doesn’t seem inappropriate. I would probably just avoid A mold, B mold, and HHR appropriateness wise.

I like straightforward progressions like this. Some people may say it is too vanilla but I like it. My only slight quibble is that the spot colors on the $5 and $20 are pretty low contrast while the orange spot color on the $1 sticks out quite a bit. I would maybe add more color to the $20 or a less contrast my spot on the $1.

In regards to Large Crown, I never even considered it until tonight. Just chose it and thought I would do a retro set...then proceeded to fail miserably at retro. MD-50 would prob be more natural for the look?
md50miragebright.png

In regards to Large Crown, I never even considered it until tonight. Just chose it and thought I would do a retro set...then proceeded to fail miserably at retro. MD-50 would prob be more natural for the look?
View attachment 602497

Yeah I like the Diamond Square mold for this. Or circle square, s crown, or H mold.

Personally I am not a fan of L. Crown. That is just personal preference. But otherwise it doesn’t seem inappropriate. I would probably just avoid A mold, B mold, and HHR appropriateness wise.

I like straightforward progressions like this. Some people may say it is too vanilla but I like it. My only slight quibble is that the spot colors on the $5 and $20 are pretty low contrast while the orange spot color on the $1 sticks out quite a bit. I would maybe add more color to the $20 or a less contrast my spot on the $1.
md50miragebright2.png

I always end up running in circles when I do this. It's frustrating to me.

I think green nickel/yellow quarter would look better. Love it though.

In that case, what color spot for the yellow?
Have you ever used a color wheel? Colors on the opposite side of the wheel are what you would normally pick. So for yellow you would pick purple. You can play around with it on this paletton.com site.

The also have some other options to the left of where it says triad.

For example, if you look at Pharoah's, the spots are one adjacent color and one opposite color consistently across the set.

It still comes down to your taste, but its a place to start.

1609040962109.png

Now are the spots on the 25c/$1 too similar?

I think no - there is no problem there, and I like each chip individually, but honestly I think DG Tiger -> DG pink in base color progression is too similar. I have a sample set with the same progression and they are way too close in color to be used on adjacent chips, in my opinion.

I really like the original lineup you posted @jja412! Question for you, what's the plan for the inlay, are you doing the Mirage inlay "as is" or similar, or is that just a placeholder? These remind me a lot of the Black Sands group buy chips, which were all day glow colors, just solids.

full

If you're sticking with something very similar to the Mirage inlay (ie black with a small, simple, colorful graphic), I would keep the chips and edge spots nice and bright like you've got (for the most part) in the the OP. While I typically prefer the look of contrasting bright and rich colors (like what @JoeBGo just posted above, which is ridiculously similar to a cash mockup I have saved in my chip design tool gallery lol), I think that style looks better with white inlays. With bright base colors and black inlays, that provides all the contrast you need.

A couple of suggestions/tweaks on the OP mockup. First is swapping DG saturn for DG yellow in the fiver. If you don't have a CPC color sample, buy or borrow one. DG saturn is a weird color in person, and IMHO doesn't play well with anything but greens and black/charcoal.

Another thing that @raynmanas mentioned is that DG tiger and DG pink are very similar, so there's the potential for dirty stacks. The spot colors you have here (especially the 814) may be enough to differentiate, but it's just something to be aware of:

1609085161999.png

Depending on your game, maybe there are so few $20s on the table that it wouldn't be a big deal. Plus both chips are really nice. :D

Going with what I said above about keeping the spots lighter, my last suggestion would be to lighten the spots on the quarter. Either lavender as mentioned above or retro lavender (hulk chip!)

1609085450284.png

1609085464709.png

If you don't like the orange/peach in back to back chips ($1 and $5), a simple change to DG pink on the $1 would work:

1609086051218.png

But if you're going with a different inlay theme all bets are off! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

From a mold perspective, I'm a huge large crown fan and also think it would work fantastically with this set. But DSQ, H, HHR, jockey, scroll, scrown or even B mold would look great too.

This is mostly an exercise in see design concepts for me. As far as inlay, I would say similar (black inlay, colorful design.) The mirage inlays are a placeholder from some labels I had made by Gear.

I loved the Black Sands chips.

On the above iteration, if the 5c and 50c are not going to be on the table at the same time, then I'm okay with it.

I think Light Blue is the wrong accent colour for the 25c. How about something green, since you have no other green in the lineup?

What's the "default" colour for Cali $500? I'm pretty sure it's not purple, since that's their $25....

Not many Cali rooms have a $500 but lavender is considered “standard”

Crystal Parks have a grey $500

Love the $1. I think the nickel and the quarter could use more contrast.
+1, love the Sam’s Townish 1s. Not crazy about dg saturn for the 5 but the 20s and 100s are great

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom