Looking for Opinions: Ok to post images from this site on Twitter? (3 Viewers)

What @Eloe2000 has said comports most closely with what I understand to be correct[*] (fancy talk for "I agree with him").

I would add that if you pursued your previous plan, you would almost certainly not be hit with financial penalties and, in all likelihood, not even get any takedown notices (although you might). I say that simply because most people wouldn't go through the small amount of hassle it takes to get them taken down, because while they might care, they probably don't care that much. You would, however, make a few people annoyed with you, even though probably plenty of people wouldn't be bothered by it and most wouldn't even know.

Legally you'd be in the wrong but it's unlikely anything would come of it, which is why it happens so often (which in turn is why people think it's okay). Socially you'd likewise be in the wrong, and that by itself would probably have unwelcome repercussions for you in the happy little PCF community.

If you asked, I expect every single person[**] who has posted their pictures here would be happy to oblige your use of their pictures in your twitter project. I get that it might be more work than you'd hoped for, but I bet it'd be less work than you think. Your project sounds cool.

[*] especially about ChipGuide, that guy is just plain wrong about the law
[**] okay, there might be one or two fuddy-duddy curmudgeons who would say no

To me, it's in bad taste just to admit that you use Twitter. (I'd put a smiley, but I'm not joking.)

If the Twitter account is "dedicated to poker chip enthusiasts", why not just post on Twitter a link to the images on PCF? That way, your Twitter dorks not only get to see the images, but they might even get turned on to PCF. Win/win...
Wow bro, for somebody who's made over 10,000 posts on a poker chip message board, you seem pretty aggressive towards "Twitter Dorks".

Perhaps "dedicated to poker chip enthusiasts" was a strange way to word it. What I meant was...for people who enjoy poker chips, and would enjoy seeing pictures of them in their Twitter feed. People who nerd out on that kind of thing, like myself.

The goal as I mentioned, was to try to create what I was looking for but couldn't find...an account that posts cool pictures of something I'm into; poker chips. I follow a bunch of similar sites that are video game or 80's toy related, and it's fun to see pictures or videos of that shit. So to your question of "why not just post on Twitter a link to the images on PCF"...because nobody is trying to see URL's in their feed, and have to click away to another site to view the image...kind of defeats the purpose. Rather than people seeing the cool pictures and getting turned on to PCF, they would just see URL's, not know what they're linked to, disregard them, and nobody would see them.

The best case scenario would be if PCF had it's own Twitter account, where they posted pictures from their site (I assume no ownership / licensing issues there, and even if so, change the user agreement to allow for it), and link back to the thread on the site where the picture is from. That would be the real way to do it and get exposure for the site, and I checked for PCF first when I had this idea, and it doesn't seem they have a Twitter account at all. Otherwise I would have just followed their account and called it a day.

What @Eloe2000 has said comports most closely with what I understand to be correct[*] (fancy talk for "I agree with him").

I would add that if you pursued your previous plan, you would almost certainly not be hit with financial penalties and, in all likelihood, not even get any takedown notices (although you might). I say that simply because most people wouldn't go through the small amount of hassle it takes to get them taken down, because while they might care, they probably don't care that much. You would, however, make a few people annoyed with you, even though probably plenty of people wouldn't be bothered by it and most wouldn't even know.

Legally you'd be in the wrong but it's unlikely anything would come of it, which is why it happens so often (which in turn is why people think it's okay). Socially you'd likewise be in the wrong, and that by itself would probably have unwelcome repercussions for you in the happy little PCF community.

If you asked, I expect every single person[**] who has posted their pictures here would be happy to oblige your use of their pictures in your twitter project. I get that it might be more work than you'd hoped for, but I bet it'd be less work than you think. Your project sounds cool.

[*] especially about ChipGuide, that guy is just plain wrong about the law
[**] okay, there might be one or two fuddy-duddy curmudgeons who would say no
Thanks man, well explained. I appreciate it.

Wow bro, for somebody who's made over 10,000 posts on a poker chip message board, you seem pretty aggressive towards "Twitter Dorks".
ZING! Shots fired! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

@pltrgyst is often mistaken on the forums imo, I don't think he was chucking them at you, just in general; don't give him a PCF badge we'd wear it too proudly ;) - you keep at it you'll be rowing right next to him!

I would mostly agree brother Ben, but we are all familiar with Eloe's mid air photos
AED77388-3F4E-4E13-BE67-ACBD097B3D15.jpeg

Perhaps "dedicated to poker chip enthusiasts" was a strange way to word it. What I meant was...for people who enjoy poker chips, and would enjoy seeing pictures of them in their Twitter feed. People who nerd out on that kind of thing, like myself.

The goal as I mentioned, was to try to create what I was looking for but couldn't find...an account that posts cool pictures of something I'm into; poker chips. I follow a bunch of similar sites that are video game or 80's toy related, and it's fun to see pictures or videos of that shit. So to your question of "why not just post on Twitter a link to the images on PCF"...because nobody is trying to see URL's in their feed, and have to click away to another site to view the image...kind of defeats the purpose. Rather than people seeing the cool pictures and getting turned on to PCF, they would just see URL's, not know what they're linked to, disregard them, and nobody would see them.

The best case scenario would be if PCF had it's own Twitter account, where they posted pictures from their site (I assume no ownership / licensing issues there, and even if so, change the user agreement to allow for it), and link back to the thread on the site where the picture is from. That would be the real way to do it and get exposure for the site, and I checked for PCF first when I had this idea, and it doesn't seem they have a Twitter account at all. Otherwise I would have just followed their account and called it a day.
Larry is a great chipper.

I also misjudged him when I first joined a few years back, but learned quickly after a couple transactions and PMs, how nice he is.

@pltrgyst is often mistaken on the forums imo, ... don't give him a PCF badge we'd wear it too proudly ;) - you keep at it you'll be rowing right next to him!
Can someone translate this into English, please? "Mistaken"? Moi?

"I don't think he was chucking them at you, just in general;" -- that is true.

I think you come across sometimes as adversarial and I think its easy to take what you say harshly, and you might not mean it in a negative way.

and I was asking DWilkes36 not to tell you, you're a Chip Nerd as you'd like it too much, make your head too big to fit through doors

I think you come across sometimes as adversarial and I think its easy to take what you say harshly, and you might not mean it in a negative way.

and I was asking DWilkes36 not to tell you, you're a Chip Nerd as you'd like it too much, make your head too big to fit through doors
Ah, thank you for the expertly foisted judgement. It's hard for us old farts to stay afloat in the sea of younger generationals now dominating PCF.

But I would absolutely hate to be associated with any form of nerd-dom, and my size 7-3/4 hats are already problem enough, thank you...

Well don't look now Groucho Marx, but your 10k posts says something about the level of nerd-dom :D
More like the level of boredom. With restrictions on travel and group gatherings, covid-era retirement isn't as exciting as it used to be... :cool

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom