Looking for Opinions: Ok to post images from this site on Twitter? (1 Viewer)

Site TOS’s usually state something to the effect of posting the photo conveys an agreement that the poster provides the site (and it’s owners and subsidiaries) irrevocable perpetual usage rights, but I have never seen one that conveys a transfer of copyright. I think there is come conflation that often happens in regards to usage, publishing, copyright, ownership, etc.
I really don’t want to argue, but if the site has perpetual usage then can’t they just give permission for someone to use it from their site if it’s credited to their site?

People often ask questions online just for affirmation, not for answers.
Lol at coming to a poker chip site to get legal advice on copyright issues.
We also dispense financial and medical advice, so why not I guess.
Next thing you know we are going to be delving into relationship/emotional issues, like American Pickers
“So tell us how collecting poker chips helps you deal with the trauma in your life….”

Most sites own any content you post on them. Read your terms of service. Some sites take ownership of anything you do on the site or the contents of any devices connected to their site.
Read your terms of service.
This is why all of my devices are airgapped.

Yeah, I know, I’m posting here, but this is from an internet kiosk in Prague.

I really don’t want to argue, but if the site has perpetual usage then can’t they just give permission for someone to use it from their site if it’s credited to their site?

We are just discussing. I didn’t intend to argue and did not take you as doing so either. “Perpetual” addresses the period of usage, not the scope of the usage. They generally grab usage rights for their parent company and their subsidiaries. But they would have no authority to extend usage beyond themselves to other parties.

Weird flex, but okay.
RDT_20220723_2248354615205091742387622~2.jpg

There are some really funny opinions to a super complex question with tons of variance.

What would he the remedy for theft of intellectual property? (Rhetorical)

In a criminal sense, I would be super interested in seeing the jurisdiction that charges and punished someone for taking pics from PCF to post on their twitter that makes no money.

In a civil sense, also interested in seeing the attorney who would take a case to sue for damages using the same theory.

So only “remedy”, PCF bans member for his use of others media…. Hence the question: is it against the rules? Answer seems to suggest the forum will likely flog and shun you without their permission.

I did take a copyright law/intellectual property law class once or twice 10 years ago (so unlikely anything I said is accurate and not actual legal advice) laughing emojis!!!!

What about those Chipguide people? They own everybody’s pictures.

So, they have similar TOS as I mentioned. But the stance they take (what I would argue is totally incorrect) is that they color correct and crop the images which makes them fundamentally different and new works which therefore they would own the copyright be virtue of their creation of the new work. I can’t imagine that holding up in a suit, but none the less this is not the debate here.

There are some really funny opinions to a super complex question with tons of variance.

In a criminal sense, I would be super interested in seeing the jurisdiction that charges and punished someone for taking pics from PCF to post on their twitter that makes no money.

In a civil sense, also interested in seeing the attorney who would take a case to sue for damages using the same theory.

So only “remedy”, PCF bans member for his use of others media…. Hence the question: is it against the rules? Answer seems to suggest the forum will likely flog and shun you without their permission.

I did take a copyright law/intellectual property law class once or twice 10 years ago (so unlikely anything I said is accurate and not actual legal advice) laughing emojis!!!!

The other remedy is a take-down. Which is certainly actionable, and which I have executed many times in somewhat analogous scenarios. But to your point, financial remedy is highly unlikely

Last edited:

Also, I have dealt with somewhat analogous scenarios as a photographer. Some of these social media accounts that post third party content “for discussion” “for no money” are started with intent and purpose of creating a very valuable targeted user base where in turn the account can either be sold for money or converted to an account of a brand or company or some other money making endeavor once the user base of a very specific market has been created. Those are quite valuable in certain areas. This has happened to me several times. But it is still a long journey for potentially very few dollars if at all to be worthwhile to pursue.

For example, if I was going to launch a poker chip company it would be advantageous to start an account like OP suggests and build a follower base of 5,000 chip lovers. Then overnight switch to only my own content and chips and start hitting a very well targeted user base with my own products. Absolutely zero cost for what otherwise would cost a hell of a lot of money or just a lot more effort.

Last edited:
So, they have similar TOS as I mentioned. But the stance they take (what I would argue is totally incorrect) is that they color correct and crop the images which makes them fundamentally different and new works which therefore they would own the copyright be virtue of their creation of the new work. I can’t imagine that holding up in a suit, but none the less this is not the debate here.
So he could do the same, take pics from here and modify slightly? Or better yet, just use the pics from thechipguide and credit them?

I’m always interested by the groups fluid responses on ambiguous issues. Sometimes IP is sacred, sometimes it’s not. But typically it falls into the “do what you want, what are they going to do?” attitude because all that matters is chips.

I think we need to respect the rights of your photos and ask them directly if they would like to be Twitted.
This is an interesting concept. Pictures are meant to be viewed. That’s why they are taken. So maybe the sites where the pictures get the most views should own them. It’s only fair

So he could do the same, take pics from here and modify slightly? Or better yet, just use the pics from thechipguide and credit them?

I’m always interested by the groups fluid responses on ambiguous issues. Sometimes IP is sacred, sometimes it’s not. But typically it falls into the “do what you want, what are they going to do?” attitude because all that matters is chips.

As I said, their assertions are incorrect. I have never heard of anyone ever taking that stand and it wouldn’t hold up in court if challenged as far as I know.

As far as “this group’s” fluid response. The thing is that there is no universal group opinion. You have many many individual opinions on different situations and so any apparent fluidity just evolves from differing circumstances and different peoples’ opinions.

For the record... if you want to share pictures of poker chips... I can get you permission to share this one anywhere you like!
1656733003283.png

I know the "model" well... and I know who put it on a poker chip. I will verify but pretty sure neither party have any issues with publically sharing anywhere you would like! Even profit off of it, I mean who doesn't want a picture of Mario on a poker chip??

I have a few photos of some cool chips in this thread

Thread 'About 18 months into the Hobby... 45k plus in chips... do we have a problem?' https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...45k-plus-in-chips-do-we-have-a-problem.64923/

Use anything you would like... but please state "photos courtesy of mostly naked Mario"

They are just pictures folks... if you take this stuff that seriously... I have no idea how I haven't been banned by you, and if you are not a fan of childish humor then... well... you can't see this post anyways!

I take sharing a photo as a sign of admiration and appreciation for you accomplishments. If you don't like being told "job well done" well then there are probably a few clouds out side you can go Holler at!

Also understand that the younger generations live in social media... they copy and post images constantly... if that offends you, sorry but you might as well just step out and join the Chip board, get some tennis balls (for the feet) and a walker cause you real close to needing them!

Last edited:
For the record... if you want to share pictures of poker chips... I can get you permission to share this one anywhere you like!
View attachment 956318
I know the "model" well... and I know who put it on a poker chip. I will verify but pretty sure neither party have any issues with publically sharing anywhere you would like! Even profit off of it, I mean who doesn't want a picture of Mario on a poker chip??

I have a few photos of some cool chips in this thread

Thread 'About 18 months into the Hobby... 45k plus in chips... do we have a problem?' https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...45k-plus-in-chips-do-we-have-a-problem.64923/

Use anything you would like... but please state "photos courtesy of mostly naked Mario"

They are just pictures folks... if you take this stuff that seriously... I have no idea how I haven't been banned by you, and if you are not a fan of childish humor then... well... you can't see this post anyways!

I take sharing a photo as a sign of admiration and appreciation for you accomplishments. If you don't like being told "job well done" well then there are probably a few clouds out side you can go Holler at!

Also understand that the younger generations live in social media... they copy and post images constantly... if that offends you, sorry but you might as well just step out and join the Chip board, get some tennis balls (for the feet) and a walker cause you real close to needing them!
I would mostly agree brother Ben, but we are all familiar with Eloe's mid air photos and I would hate for someone to post / use those, make money off of them, and if the product was switched out for slugs it would bother me if my photo was used to defaud someone.

I can tell you photos like that are a direct product of copyright protection. Without it Eloe would have chosen a different profession, or not been able to afford those CPCs

Today people are more aware of editing time, but are still very ignorant of the skill it takes to shoot a quality photo. My wife was in the profession, I can't tell you how many times people would say, 'you must have a great camera', or she would comment on how messed up photos were that some obviously paid for and I didn't notice until she pointed what was wrong with it.

People are very much monitizing Twitter feeds and all they can.

I doubt the OP has nothing but the best intentions to share the passion, but I think the greater good should prevail.

Last edited:
Is it in bad taste, and / or a violation of the rules of this site, to grab screenshots of some of the images users have posted on this here, and post them on a Twitter account dedicated to poker chip enthusiasm?
To me, it's in bad taste just to admit that you use Twitter. (I'd put a smiley, but I'm not joking.)

If the Twitter account is "dedicated to poker chip enthusiasts", why not just post on Twitter a link to the images on PCF? That way, your Twitter dorks not only get to see the images, but they might even get turned on to PCF. Win/win...

Last edited:

There are no possible damages unless the image copyright in question has been specifically registered with the US Copyright Office.

I'm retired from the US Patent and Trademark Office, and did a lot of work with the Copyright Office -- which I'm doing my best to forget completely.

PCF is absolutely nothing in that regard compared to NextDoor!

That place is spicy. People usually are very opinionated online because of the anonymity. So you would think NextDoor would be very civil amongst neighbors. But that place has more drama than any other social media site.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom