Looking for inexpensive foam and speed cloth for a cheap table. (1 Viewer)

Beakertwang

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Reaction score
My friend picked up an older PitBoss folding poker table for $20. We've been using it for our home games. It's a bit unsightly, but really build solid. Worst thing about it is the loose ugly green felt over what feels like no foam at all. I borrowed it from him for a game at my place, and since I have it in my possession, I thought I'd go ahead and make it better.

What are good sources for foam and SSC to upgrade the table for not a lot of dough.

What's considered "not a lot of dough"? You can go to Jo-Ann's, buy some headliner foam (with fabric backing) and be done with it. Add cloth later if you want, either nylon or polyester/nylon blend (also from JoAnn's). Best budget choices, and 50% off coupons are readily available online (or mailed to you, if you sign up on their web site).

$15/yard, several colors available. Probably need 2 yards, maybe 2-1/2.

9198672.jpg

Sport Nylon material, various colors, $8/yard:

https://www.joann.com/sport-nylon/prd13084.html

Last edited:
@BGinGA, headliner foam, like the stuff on car ceilings? Do cards slide ok on it? I'll head over there and check it out.

Added some more content to my post above. But yeah, headliner has 1/4" open cell foam with a fabric backing, so cards do slide on it. Maybe not like glass, but adding nylon cards will skate like on ice.

Get a can of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive from Home Depot (a very light hazing is all that's needed). Let dry thoroughly (24 hours) before pressing down on the foam, or the indentations will become permanent.

S-18767.jpg

Foam, nylon, and glue = $50 total, probably less

I’m not too eager to do the math but wouldn’t it be cheap enough to just order something from yourautotrim anyways? Maybe splurge and get the suited cloth.

Myself and a few of my friends all build tables back in the day before you could source all this stuff. Used headliner with cloth stretched over. No adhesive. I always found the headliner foam to be great and have no reason to switch

Last edited:
I’m not too eager to do the math but wouldn’t it be cheap enough to just order something from yourautotrim anyways? Maybe splurge and get the suited cloth.
Last time I ordered ssc from yat it was $60 shipped. Still need foam & other materials.

I checked out YAT, but I don't really want to put $100+ into a somewhat janky $20 table. Headliner foam seems to be the way to go.

A trip to JoAnns will come up with acceptable options. We picked up Moleskin for our first table. A "suede-like" leather on one side, fur on the other. The fur works as well as headliner foam (used on my 2nd/3rd tables) and the leather gives very good glide. The downside to "just" headliner foam, is my fingernails crack and split a lot. The rough nail snags on the some headliner foams if it doesn't have a cloth covering.

Either way, going to the store is like getting samples. You can see feel, even toss some cards on it. Just do it at JoAnns, they are friendly. I got thrown out of Hancock Fabrics when I was "testing" fabrics.

I bought cheap ssc n eBay twice now and it is fine. Most recently I bought it from five star deal. Worst case scenario just put it over the existing minimal padding and felt you should be good to go for around $20. I did this on a cheapo table and it ain’t half bad.

I’ve used JoAnn fabric as a source for years and this is from a person who usually “upgrades” to the “best stuff”. I never liked the look of speed cloth so I went for fabrics with a look and texture more in common with traditional gaming tables.

Whenever I have a spare moment and I’m passing a JoAnns I stop in and check out their remnants, upholstery, and heavier fabrics. If I see something that I like, looks durable, and will allow the cards to slide I pick it up. When I feel my surface is getting old or I find something nicer I replace it. I don’t think I ever spent more that $20 to resurface. Use the coupons online.

I’ve thought about water resistance but luckily I think I’ve only had one or two minor drink spills in 15 years (knock in wood) so the replacements have been related to wear or boredom....mostly boredom. .

I never had to replace the headliner foam and have no intention to do so. I feel it provids the perfect cushion for shuffling cards.

+1 on headliner foam providing great cushion for shuffling and picking up cards, in addition to being quite durable.

Several of the tables I built for others 8-10 years ago still have the original headliner padding, and I have a 14-year-old portable table-topper with headliner and polyester/nylon blend fabric that still gets used regularly.

Just stopped by Jo-Ann. The headliner stuff seems like a good option, and I’m sure I can find at least a 40% off coupon. But I’d prefer some cheap speed cloth. So, $30, plus about $30 for the SSC, and a can of spray adhesive. That’s doable.

@Darson, what kind of carpet underlay did you use? The piecemeal stuff?

I know several carpet layers from my painting business. I bet I could pick up some scraps for free.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom