Looking for feedback/ideas - Heritage Set (1 Viewer)

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
Hi all - first time poster and recent bite victim of the chipping bug, so be gentle :).

Was starting to toy with a custom set idea - referencing the country flags of my family's ancestry. Curious on reactions, thoughts, ideas on this as I'm not sure if I should abandon it or go in full force. Inlay is just a placeholder.

Country flags represented in order - Sweden, Ireland, Cuba, Italy, and Great Britain.

Fitting "standard" colors for the base chips, and having an edge spot progression as well seems like it would be a little tough. And some flags can be directly included on the edge spots which I think is cool, but it wouldn't be consistent for countries that don't follow the vertical bar design for their flags as they would have to be more represented by the chips themselves.

poker chips.png

Thanks for the advice on the quarter chip switch. Made some changes to (hopefully) improve edge spot progression and added a $500 chip for Spain. Probably won't actually get that last chip made though...not exactly within the stakes of any of my games. :)

Better or worse?
poker chips.png

Welcome, have fun and there is lots of knoledge here, Take it in......

Nice concept, colors and spots look great..CSQ is my favorite mold... Take your time designing..
Just a concept... try to us some day glow colors on spot..

slight change for progression
HC Set.png

Thanks for the advice on the quarter chip switch. Made some changes to (hopefully) improve edge spot progression and added a $500 chip for Spain. Probably won't actually get that last chip made though...not exactly within the stakes of any of my games. :)

Better or worse?
View attachment 110071

Yeah, very cool concept. Off to a good start. I'm sure you'll end up making a few more changes...just how it goes lol. Can't wait to see how these progress.

Great concept.

I really like the ireland chip too.

Not a huge fan of the Great Britain one, it looks more like a sports team (west ham. Aston villa) than country colors

But nice work !!

Really appreciate all the thoughts and comments. Hesitant to change up the "cross" look to the Sweden chip. Just got the CPC color samples in, too, so some of the colors are now changed to better match the flags as they appear in reality. Added some dayglow as suggested and changed up the GB chip into an England chip - are there strong opinions on going away from the "standard" colors, like in this case using a white base for a hundo chip?

Changed up the Cuba chip again. No real way to represent the flag, but at least giving it a go with the colors.

You guys are the best.

pokerchips.png

White hundo is fine. White also works as a 500 if needed.... there is precedence for both (or white $1 with blue $500 or $100 works, too). And in any case, anything goes in a custom set -- especially when you are matching/mimicking colors found in other objects (like flags or countries).

Looking better every day.

Slight change. Was hesitant on using bright white because the premium costs, but I won't be ordering many of the $100s (and $500s) and it helps the chip more separate from the gray quarter.

poker chips.png

Reactions: 72o
Slight change. Was hesitant on using bright white because the premium costs, but I won't be ordering many of the $100s (and $500s) and it helps the chip more separate from the gray quarter.

View attachment 110983

I really like the first 4 chips a lot! The $25 may be my favorite, it's a great spot pattern. But then the amount of red starts to get to be overwhelming with the last 2 chips.

Maybe use spot patterns with smaller spots for those chips so the red isn't so much?

And I'm a fan of the bright white $100, it is looks very much like my own. It is worth the upcharge.

IMG_3074.JPG

Last edited:
But then the amount of red starts to get to be overwhelming with the last 2 chips.

Maybe use spot patterns with smaller spots for those chips so the red isn't so much?

I agree...and not sure what to do there. Unfortunately, red is a predominant color in 4 out of the 6 flags. Was hoping to keep the England one as I think it fits with the progression and flag both. Been contemplating maybe even just dropping the spain chip all together as my games won't really need that denomination.

Any ideas on how the flag could get represented, but maybe in a different color/spot pattern? Perhaps pull out the pink of the lion and the little bit of blue, and do a multi-colored complex edge spot?

Just spit balling...but some thoughts below. Curious on reactions. Spanish flag also below for reference.

And the retro red and mandarin red do look more different IRL than they do in the editor in my opinion. Still both reds though for sure.

poker chips.png

Flag_of_Spain.png

Thanks - great ideas guys!

Though every time I see an L11 my heart drops a bit. $4+ a chip is definitely different from $2+ a chip. Luckily, I'll only be making a few barrels of the 100s and 500s :)

Gotta decide now if I'm going English cross flag or Union Jack. Union Jack is definitely more iconic.

While you're toying with options, do get color samples. The standard red you used in your OP is way too dark for their intended use when viewed in person and some other colors you used will be more or less off as well.

Nice flags concept, last $5, $25 and $500 drafts before my post here really look nice. So does the union jack by MatB.
I would however change the DG green base to a Light Green. The DG one really is some neon, in-your-face type popping color that doesn't really fit the rest of the set. Plus it's unweighted.
Ireland chip colors look really good as well but I can't stand visually unbalanced chips at all.

While you're toying with options, do get color samples. The standard red you used in your OP is way too dark for their intended use when viewed in person and some other colors you used will be more or less off as well.

Nice flags concept, last $5, $25 and $500 drafts before my post here really look nice. So does the union jack by MatB.
I would however change the DG green base to a Light Green. The DG one really is some neon, in-your-face type popping color that doesn't really fit the rest of the set. Plus it's unweighted.
Ireland chip colors look really good as well but I can't stand visually unbalanced chips at all.

Heya - thanks for the thoughts. I did get the samples midway through this journey and agree on the red comments - you'll see the last few have the base chip for the $5 as mandarin red.

And I'll take a look at the greens again tonight.

Love the direction this set is going, great concept.
I think you made the right decision switching from grey to charcoal, although I think I'm biased because I just really dislike cpc grey. It just feels like uncoloured clay to me, rather than being a colour.
I also really like the Spain chip that Rhodeman77 suggested, although personally I'd go with the dg yellow as per his original mockup.

As much as I love the Rhodeman77 flag spots, I'm a bigger fan of including pink and blue spots on the DG yellow.

Love this set idea.

Just spitballing a bit on the five hundred. Changed the flag inset on the original one from Rhodeman77 to DG Yellow. Don't know that I wont to go DG yellow for the base - it's too loud to me compared to the rest of the bases. The yellow is a bit dark/orangey and gives of a jewel tone. Could go pink or peach too, as shown.

Also, have the current iterations of the inlays. Been working with @p5woody - echoing previous comments from others, he's amazing!

pokerchips.png

The inlays are looking great!

The DG yellow spot pops nicely on the Spain chip. The first pink and DG peach chips look great too. You have some tough choices!!!

I don't know if you know, but the extra for bright white is for base chips so if you want to use it on the spots for the Ireland, Cuba and Italy chips you won't have to pay extra for it.

Last edited:
Love the inlays.
And +1 for bright white on the spots as all those chips have bright white in the inlay also.

Last edited:
What I'm wondering though is...
You picture all sorts of european countries on the chips... but they are all valued in dollars? :D
Might want to at least add an America chip somewhere :p

What I'm wondering though is...
You picture all sorts of european countries on the chips... but they are all valued in dollars? :D
Might want to at least add an America chip somewhere :p
Ive thought about doing an American chip as a bounty or something. Something to add it to the set but not break the integrity of the theme.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom