Looking for design feedback on custom cash set (1 Viewer)

slowplay

High Hand
Reaction score
Hey guys, as a newbie chipper playing what I now find disgusting dice chips I'm looking for an upgrade.

First things first, our group plays what can only be described as 20NL (blinds 0.10/0.20) but the later in the night it is the crazier it gets and money is flying around, double/triple straddles, 0.50/1 blinds etc. I was battling with myself for a long time but I came to a conclusion that there is no need for 0.10 chip to exist, we can play 0.20/0.20 (additional benefit - no potential walks meaning less time wasted).

I was really into having a solid frac (technically I have two fracs now, by frac I mean the lowest denomination) but with time and some consideration I concluded that would just be a waste of a potential great looking chip. 0.20 being the workhorse I wanted to have as something that I really like and it just so happens that I think mint as base colour is just about the best choice one can make and I think it's kinda obvious I love the Aria $3 as well :).

Initially I thought about making 50 and 100 chips as well but for the games we're playing (for now at least) it doesn't make much sense as people usually rebuy with one 20PLN note, occasionally 50, so all that can be accounted for with 10s and 20s chips. But hey, maybe I'm in the wrong and I should think about the future and add the 50 upfront when I have the chance? I guess that's one of the questions I have for you more experienced chippers.

This is about a 8th or 9th iteration of the idea and one that I'm finally comfortable enough with to share with the forum.

Anyway, what do you guys think, does this make sense from playability perspective and obviously chips design itself.
Additionally I can't really decide on the 20 so I hope for some suggestions/critiques.

Artboard 3-8.png

How it potentially looks as a standalone set with each 20:

OPTION 1:
Artboard 1-8.png

OPTION 2:
Artboard 1 copy 2-8.png

OPTION 3:
Artboard 1 copy-8.png

Looking forward to your guys' feedback!

I would only get 0.20, 1, 5 and 20 chips, the 0.50 and 10 denoms seem unnecessary (if you want to expand to the next denom, that would be 100). And orange 20 (black 100).

20c 50c $1 don’t mixed well and felt like a waste of 1 denomination

I will suggest
1) use a Non-Denomination chip so you can use them as 20c or 50c as you see fit for the game
2) drop the 20c & 50c and use 25c instead you can use them also for your 50/$1 game and up ur game 20/20 to 25c/25c. It not the biggest deal breaker to up 5c in stake

Also drop the $10

For the denomination since you are not using any currency like $1 and just 1.
1/2 or 0.5 will fit nicer with the rest than 0.50

Last edited:
Agree with what others said. Do away with the .50

What design tool did you use for this?

20c 50c $1 don’t mixed well and felt like a waste of 1 denomination

I will suggest
1) use a Non-Denomination chip so you can use them as 20c or 50c as you see fit for the game
2) drop the 20c & 50c and use 25c instead you can use them also for your 50/$1 game and up ur game 20/20 to 25c/25c. It not the biggest deal breaker to up 5c in stake

Also drop the $10

For the denomination since you are not using any currency like $1 and just 1.
1. in my mind that sort of undermines the whole point of getting a custom set, although I understand where you're coming from
2. I thought of that already, that would only make sense with higher blinds and using same set for different (bigger) game

I can't believe I haven't even thought of that! Thanks for pointing that out and all your good points.

I expected all of you to come after the denoms, I know it's a lot and maybe a bit unnecessary but I just LOVE big stacks!
The more chips and more colours the better :)

If you want to keep the 0.50 chip, then I'd change the 0.20 into a 0.10. It just works better, and would allow you to keep the 0.10/0.20 game going. Just realize you will not need a lot of the 0.50 chips since the next chip value is only a 2x away. Basically just enough for the 0.50/1 game.

Alright, so as you can see some changes were made, 5c frac was added, 0.20 changed into 0.25 and I'm really keen on keeping the 0.50 as well, knowing full well it won't be as used as it could or should be. Colour and pattern also changed - this is sort of a very fortunate coincidence, I was just playing around with the chip designer and this colour scheme just popped up and I love it! (although it does kinda look familiar so maybe someone knows does this already exist or am I just imagining things?).

Biggest denom I've decided to stick to 50 as our game rarely get's to a point when 100 would even be needed (as a matter of fact same pretty much goes for 50 :D).

Trying out shaped inlays and I must say I really like how they look and feel they give to the whole set (on paper/monitor ofc) - I think it's safe to say shaped inlays will stay.

I've decided to add currency representation, problem is polish zloty (zł) doesn't really have an official sign like $ or any other major currency, obviously same goes for our cents. So I've made my own graphic signs representing zloty (zł) and grosze (gr) - $ and c. It does the job and looks kinda nice (I hope)

I guess I could make the 20 a 25 but there's no 25 note and everyone buys in with 20s and multiples or a 50.
That said I will bump the usual game to 0.25/0.25 or maybe 0.10/0.25 just to use the lovely fracs :D

Anyway, let me know what you think!

revision.png

Last edited:
A lot of time has passed and I haven't given up, actually pulled the trigger on a set after many, many adjustments and handpainting some chips to get an idea what works well together :).

Anyway, this is what I ended up with:
breakdown-8.png

And this is how they turned out. Needless to say that I absolutely love them and cannot wait to put them to play:
IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg
IMG_0752.jpg
IMG_0753.jpg
IMG_0755.jpg
IMG_0762.jpg
IMG_0764.jpg
IMG_0765.jpg
IMG_0767.jpg
IMG_0769.jpg

Nice! Glad you changed the black chip- that was my biggest concern. I like the big bold number on black inlay- sharp, focused.

Agree with what others said. Do away with the .50

What design tool did you use for this?

They can’t play both 20/20¢ and 50¢/$1 without the 50¢ piece.

The suggestion to make it 25/25¢ seems like a good solution unless the group is going to protest at the stakes inflation (a pretty big percentage increase from 10/20¢ though it’s still very low stakes).

They can’t play both 20/20¢ and 50¢/$1 without the 50¢ piece.

The suggestion to make it 25/25¢ seems like a good solution unless the group is going to protest at the stakes inflation (a pretty big percentage increase from 10/20¢ though it’s still very low stakes).
Yeah, we've started playing .50/.50 and sometimes 1/1 ( even though the .50/.50 plays really big and with 7 players it's not uncommon to have 1500+ on the table) so .25 chip seems a little redundant, hence both .50 and 1s in here. I went with 300 1s just in case we start playing 1/2 or 1/3 that should be doable, even 2/5.

Nice set! I like the non-standard 5's and 25's, not something you see every day.
Thanks! I figured if I go fully custom I can go a bit wild and I really put a lot of thought and effort into the final result. As a bonus, here are the "mockups" I did along the way to see whether those would indeed go well together. The grey didn't make the cut this time but if I ever need a 200 or 500 chip I'm definitely going with this combo

IMG_0771.JPG

Thanks! I figured if I go fully custom I can go a bit wild and I really put a lot of thought and effort into the final result. As a bonus, here are the "mockups" I did along the way to see whether those would indeed go well together. The grey didn't make the cut this time but if I ever need a 200 or 500 chip I'm definitely going with this combo

View attachment 1131773
What chips are these?

A lot of time has passed and I haven't given up, actually pulled the trigger on a set after many, many adjustments and handpainting some chips to get an idea what works well together :).

Anyway, this is what I ended up with:
View attachment 1131407
And this is how they turned out. Needless to say that I absolutely love them and cannot wait to put them to play:
View attachment 1131409
View attachment 1131410View attachment 1131411View attachment 1131412View attachment 1131413View attachment 1131414View attachment 1131415View attachment 1131416View attachment 1131417View attachment 1131418
These chips are incredible. wow. Good vibrant colors and distinctive

how much did this set cost you?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom