Long Time Player, Kinda New To Chips! (1 Viewer)

BearMetal

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Decided to post here and break the ice. I've been playing cards since the college days back when we only put $1 in for the whole night and used "chips" that looked more like stuff you'd find in a tiddlywinks game. Since then, I've been through the dice chips, to "nice" set of 13.5 metal inserts (Ace/King) to my current set which is the Nevada Jack Ceramics. I have a monthly NL friendly cash game that gets out of control sometimes (usually in my favor). Recently, I've been thinking about getting another set of chips for small tournament play.

I do love my NJs, but recently I decided to see what else is out there and ordered a whole bunch of samples:
  • The Monaco's, at $1 a chip, feel surprising cheap and harsh. I really don't like the smooth/shiny look or the hard edges
  • The Majestics are amazing - I really didn't think I'd like inlays since others have had bad experiences with them (like falling off or looking cheap)
  • Milano's didn't do it for me; not enough color/pop and I wasn't a big fan of the design
  • The Chipco Classics feel really nice, but are kind of boring
I'm cool with keeping the NJ's for my cash game. So, I'm going to have a look around the site and see what chips people are talking about. I'm not in any rush, so I'm cool with waiting for a group buy if something really neat comes out. I'm also not opposed to customs, but I really have no idea where to start (designing, picking molds, etc).

I also have no idea how to build a tournament set; do people generally prefer non-cash chips that only have denominations on them? Does it even matter?

Anyway, glad I found PCF, and I hope to learn a lot about chips moving forward.

Welcome! We here at PCF will be more than happy to help you spend your money!

Welcome! You seem to have followed Rule #1 which is "Get Samples".

Another rule is "Do not mix cash and tourney chips". Most tourney sets are built with cash denominations because that's what's easily available - it's no big deal as long as you don't mix with your cash set. Dedicated tourney sets (either without denominations or marked no cash value) are slightly harder to find but still reasonably available. For example, two forum run group buys gave these:

More Jersey folks, we're multiplying by the hour..... :sneaky:

Welcome, I'd suggest starting off by poking around here, tons of threads on tourney set breakdowns, from single table to larger format games https://www.pokerchipforum.com/forums/tournaments-and-cash-games.15/

You're already off to a good start by getting samples. Other questions to consider that'll help to get you started - how much do you want to spend & how many players do you want the set to support?

Hello and welcome!
Make sure to also get the top stuff available today to individuals, i.e. CPC samples, to decide if you 'd rather save and wait.
I 'd advise against getting samples of any near-mint Paulson chips (not offered by the firm to the public anymore).
It would be like recommending a sip of Chateau Petrus ($5,000 a bottle) or test-driving a Ferrari 458 Italia or a Porsche 911 on the racetrack, or sleeping once with Monica Bellucci. All of them could ruin your finances and family life.:D

More Jersey folks, we're multiplying by the hour..... :sneaky:

Welcome, I'd suggest starting off by poking around here, tons of threads on tourney set breakdowns, from single table to larger format games https://www.pokerchipforum.com/forums/tournaments-and-cash-games.15/

You're already off to a good start by getting samples. Other questions to consider that'll help to get you started - how much do you want to spend & how many players do you want the set to support?

We’re taking over! No coincidence that it’s National Pork Roll Day. Even though it’s Taylor Ham, not pork roll...

Welcome! Open up your wallet. Not just for the chips, but for the tables, chairs, cards, etc. that you’ll see on this site that will make you weak in the knees.

Welcome.

tenor(13).gif

Take the blue pill, log off, and never come back. Or take the red pill and see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

(Alternatively, just light all your money on fire.)

Welcome!

My 2c is hard pass on any china clays which include the Majestics, Dunes etc.

Hello and welcome, good luck deciding on a set. You'll probably find, as we all have, that one set isn't enough, and once you have two you are really going to want three and after that you wonder why you even started counting, you just want them all -- oh wait, maybe that's just me.

Hello and welcome, good luck deciding on a set. You'll probably find, as we all have, that one set isn't enough, and once you have two you are really going to want three and after that you wonder why you even started counting, you just want them all -- oh wait, maybe that's just me.

Please just get samples for everything. If you decide to save a little longer for something of higher quality you may have less regrets in the long run. Particularly if you stick around on this forum!

Wow, what a welcome! Totally neat to see some Jersey folks here!

I think I'm seeing a consistent pattern:
  • My 1 set is going to turn into 3 within a year ... once you're bitten, you're bitten.
  • Don't mix cash and tourney
  • Group buys are worth the wait... those Horseshoe's look amazing! Exactly what I was thinking I might go for.
  • Don't be afraid of samples - I'll need them to make a good decision
  • My deck obsession isn't going to be lonely ... there are lots of other things to find here besides chips!
  • People have a love/hate relationship with CCs ... I do really like the Majestics and those new Royals from Apache look right up my alley. But again, maybe worth a shot waiting for a group buy
Thanks everyone - even with this one post, you've given me a lot of great info!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom