Long Lost Chips Found (1 Viewer)

Mac128k

Flush
Reaction score
*Originally posted on another forum on Jul 8 2009. I hope the cross-post is OK. Adding here by request*

I'll try to tell the short version of this story :)

My dad has been a life-long poker player. He always told me that he had "custom" clay chips that my mom bought him in the 70's or 80's but he could never find them.

He couldn't remember anything about them except that he was sure they were "good" and clay. He always played with plastic chips because he could never find them. My mom didn't remember much about them.

Years and years go by and I have always wanted to see these chips. My mom passed away in 2006 so they took on a whole new level of importance to me.

Well my dad finally found them a few weeks ago while looking for some old family photo albums. He surprised me with them when I went to visit last week.

They were in an old box he had laying around.
I opened the box slowly savoring the moment. I was dying to see which mold they were on and whether or not they were actually clay.
Well they are the real deal. They are clay and they have never been played! Nice and chalky.

Diamond mold with a "JC" hot stamp on them. My dad and I share the same name so I liked the hot stamp :)
I was so excited. My dad told me that he wanted me to have them.
Just a really great moment between father, son and dearly departed mom.

==Comments by Mike Endy from BCC about the history of the mold==

Great find, congratulations. I love those old hot stamp chips.

That looks like the Todd mold. Paulson used that mold to make retail chips for Golden State Game Supply (my dad's company in Los Angeles) who would sell hot stamped chips. That happened during the time frame you are talking about (mid 70's to late 80's when Charlie sold the company and joined Paulson Gaming).

The Todd mold is really old and has been owned by a few chip manufacturers. It has been copied by a lot of cheap knockoff injection molded chips. I'm sure Eisenstadt's site has a lot more information about it.

M. Endy

Golden State used to sell chips through the Game Keeper and number of other retail outlets including billiard stores and luggage stores. The reason I bring up Golden State is that my understanding was Paulson only used that mold for GS for a number of years. Also I have a set of hot stamps with the same style font. They may not have been purchased directly but highly probable they stamped them for the other store.

M. Endy
==

Attachments

• 20111230-35956.JPG
    20111230-35956.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 911
  • DSC01821.jpg
    DSC01821.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 863
  • DSC01822 (1).jpg
    DSC01822 (1).jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 864
  • DSC01823.JPG
    DSC01823.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 861
  • DSC01824 (1).jpg
    DSC01824 (1).jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 845
  • DSC01825 (1).jpg
    DSC01825 (1).jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 816
  • DSC01826.jpg
    DSC01826.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 787
  • DSC01827 (1).jpg
    DSC01827 (1).jpg
    109 KB · Views: 811
  • DSC01828 (1).jpg
    DSC01828 (1).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 677
Super cool story to accompany some pretty chips! Those definitely have a Paulson look to them unlike a lot of diamond mold chips, special indeed.

Great looking chips on an awesome mold, accompanied by an awesome story. Thanks for sharing (y) :thumbsup:

Wow, great story, congrats! I love how there are such a small number of chip makers going down through the years, the Endy family were real innovators.

Great Story!!!
The yellow chips are delicious:D

It looks like that set was never used or touched by humans in any way. Absolutely fantastic find!
Considering the sentimental value, that is a priceless set of chips. Good Luck with them!

Great story and great chips Jim. Would love to check these chips out in person one of these days!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom