Limit sets: Non-denominated labels questions (1 Viewer)

dmoney

Full House
Reaction score
I am considering putting together a single-table limit set and want to maintain flexibility for various stakes. I’ll use a 2-chip/4-chip structure with:
  • 900 workhorse chips
  • 80 “20x”
  • 20 “100x”
My question is about labels - how have others handled?
  • Labels with just 1-20-100
  • Something like 1x-20x-100x with the “x” predetermined
  • Something else, like a different symbol on each denomination? Bear, snake, horse or spade, diamond, club, etc.

My question is about labels - how have others handled?

P1020511.JPG

Awesome - so no denominations whatsoever are an option also. Just let the colors do the work?
Yeah that should be fine. 900 of the same chip: In mid-session people better not be asking, "What is this chip worth again?"
Also, big value chips, the 20x and 100x, are never bet, only used to hold value in someone's stack, so if they are easily distinguishable, then that should work.

The games I used to host were all limit games, starting with $0.25/$0.50 and eventually working up to $0.50/$1.00. At those limits, it's all $0.25 and $1.00 as your workhorse chips, with $0.05 for blinds and antes. I also had $5 chips, but we never broke them out.

We found:
--20 is the bare minimum for $0.25 & $1 chips. Anything less, and you spent too much time making change.
--30 is where the sweet spot starts.
--40 is more than enough for your workhouse chips.
--$2 chips can be really helpful in a limit game if you are working with fewer chips.

40 is more than enough for your workhouse chips.
Strongly disagree. If playing a 2 chip/4 chip game, then max raises on all streets allows for 48 chip in the pot per player. Starting any given hand with less than 48 chips puts you in a position where you can't extract maximum value. If playing a home game where you're just having fun trying to rake huge pots and you're playing a 4 chip/8 chip game, then that bumps up to 96. So if you're sitting 8 players, that means your're starting with 800 chips (rounding up) right off the bat.

If playing an 8-max home game, I typically recommend 8 (or whatever the max number of players) x 1.5 x the normal maximum risk per hand, rounding up (either 50 or 100 chips). This allows for everyone to start with max chips, plus some rebuys with betting chips. This comes to either 600 or 1200 betting chips. Then add some rebuy chips on top. IMO the absolute barest of minimums that should be considered for betting chips in an 8-person limit game is 400, plus a barrel of rebuy chips.

I wouldn’t do x, 20x, 100x I would rather used Roman numerals I, XX, D (100 seems too close to 20). Or some unique imagery I had contemplated using an abacus set in the 1, 20, 100 position but didn’t provide enough differentiation between the labels.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom