Limit poker. Doubling bets. What do you think? (1 Viewer)

TheJack

High Hand
Reaction score
I love limit games. One thing that people dont like about limit games is not being able to bluff. So i was wondering maybe that could be fixed a little by doubling bet size every street? For example in holdem: small bet preflop and flop, big bet on turn, double big bet on the river. 2 chip/4 chip/8 chip game. Im not sure how it can be made on stud games. Has somebody tried playing like that? What you think about the idea? Sorry for my english :)

I love the idea! I'd suggest giving it a go and see how it plays. I wonder if it will lead to even more people limp/calling pre and on the flop and just trying to get lucky before the turn/river?

I love limit games. One thing that people dont like about limit games is not being able to bluff. So i was wondering maybe that could be fixed a little by doubling bet size every street? For example in holdem: small bet preflop and flop, big bet on turn, double big bet on the river. 2 chip/4 chip/8 chip game. Im not sure how it can be made on stud games. Has somebody tried playing like that? What you think about the idea? Sorry for my english :)
I play in a game like this and I hate it. It is Big O 5/10/15/20. It just makes it correct to call all the way down with any bullshit that catches....like you need an additional reason to call in BigO. I am convinced that the game runner does it to appease the fish and to maximize the rake out of every pot.

I would much rather play 10/20, where I can maximize my equity advantage of better hand selection preflop by raising/reraising the limpers, and not let them realize their hands cheaply and get paid when they make their turd hands on the river.

If bluffing is the most important part of playing poker to you, stick to NL. Limit is about maximizing equity advantages and sometimes bluffing when the stars align.

The fix to not being able to bet big enough to deny equity is nl which introduces other problems.

Spread limit is another in-between game, but it doesn't fix everything either.

There are both good and bad aspects to both games.

I personally would not introduce a non standard betting structure to my game, but that is just me.

It really doesn’t change much. You’d call slightly more than regular limit on the flop, slightly less on the turn but the big difference is the last bet which mostly results in slightly fewer hands go to showdown not less chasing.

Thank you for your comments. No, bluffing is not the most important part of playing poker for me. But it still is for my players who only play NL and just start to play limit. Everybody complains that its like million chips in the pot and they only can bet 4 :) they are new to poker and play only micro stakes. They cry after loosing 10eur and its hard to get them back in the game. So i was thinking maybe double bet will feel more like bluffing to them without loosing full stack. If doubling bet its not the way to go, any advise on how can i make limit game more appealing to them?

We spread a 3/6/9 limit game in my poker room for a while. Players really liked it. My boss said it was an East coast thing back in the day. Instead of a spread limit game, it would just be a 1.5x river bet to spice things up.

it just sounds like they want to complain about something. you can pick whatever rules you want if people agree to them. but if they aren't happy with limit or no limit betting structures i doubt there's any betting structure they would be happy with.

We spread a 3/6/9 limit game in my poker room for a while. Players really liked it. My boss said it was an East coast thing back in the day. Instead of a spread limit game, it would just be a 1.5x river bet to spice things up.
Green Valley Ranch in Vegas used to spread a 4/8/12 Omaha game.

Thank you for your comments. No, bluffing is not the most important part of playing poker for me. But it still is for my players who only play NL and just start to play limit. Everybody complains that its like million chips in the pot and they only can bet 4 :) they are new to poker and play only micro stakes. They cry after loosing 10eur and its hard to get them back in the game. So i was thinking maybe double bet will feel more like bluffing to them without loosing full stack. If doubling bet its not the way to go, any advise on how can i make limit game more appealing to them?

Mr. Miagi said it best in "Rounders Kid"

Play Limit...ok
Play NL.....ok
Play mix between the two....squish like grape

If you are going to play limit, stick to the standard rules. If they are calling too much, raise the stakes. It's really that simple. You would be surprised by how much bluffing you can actually do in limit when the situation dictates and the stakes are right for your players. Of course, when 6 people see the flop, 3 see the turn and 2 see the river...if you are bluffing here you are a moron....he's got it. You would also be a moron to bluff here in NL, btw.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom