Limit 2-7 hand gets out of hand (1 Viewer)

200 Motels

Flush
Reaction score
Every 3 weeks we play 4/8 fixed limit. Mix of Hold'em, O8, Stud8, Razz & 2-7 triple draw.

In all games betting is uncapped if it's heads up, but it's still 4/8 Limit.

(Pic from that night but not from the hand in question)
PXL_20221207_034122677.jpg

The hand in question is 2-7 Triple Draw and it's heads up with no draws remaining. Both players have around $450 behind (why should that matter, right?). Pot is around $90

Action goes:

8, 16, 24, 32,

Player 1 says "it's uncapped, can I go all in?"
I'm not in the hand and mumble "no, it's limit".
Player 2 says "are you sure?"
Player 1 says "yes".

They agree. Player 2 calls and clearly has the 7-5. Player 1 (the bettor) has the number 2. Player 1 pays Player 2 his stack which is about $400.

Player 1 leaves the game as it's close to the end of the night.

Thoughts on this hand? It's uncapped heads up but betting like 50BB is silly. It's between them, but could it be considered unfair to other players since the very bad player is now gone? You'd think if it remained fixed limit, Player 1 might get the hint after like the 10th raise.

Betting sizes are not uncapped -- but the number of raises is unlimited. So anything the two players agree to between themselves is allowed.

Okay, I intuited this part, I just used the wrong terminology. I suppose the technical rule is that the final bet amount must be a multiple of the big bet size or until one person is all in.

I don't understand how this would be unfair, because all one of them had to do was say "call". You don't get special parameters just to get your shot at the action player. Poker better and best the players that are left.

Also, I want in on this game! So awesome.

Maybe it's just my lack of limit experience, but it seems like anytime a limit player is asking to uncap, his range consists of exactly the nuts.

If I have second nuts here, I'm saying no all day.
You would think so, but in this case, it was the non-nuts player that wanted to go all-in.

As stated earlier, you can't fix stupid.

Oh, and fwiw, I've seen this all-in scenario play out three times in limit games. Twice it was nut-flush vs straight flush, and the third was straight flush vs a bigger straight flush.
I read about another time this happened in LHE. Quads v. nut full house.

Oh, and fwiw, I've seen this all-in scenario play out three times in limit games. Twice it was nut-flush vs straight flush, and the third was straight flush vs a bigger straight flush.
I dont know man, Im not the best player but when you're playing limit it seems so easy to nod and decide to stop betting when you dont have the nuts! NLHE has the swings and the pressure, going all in in limit for 14 raises or whatever seeks like very slowly driving your car off a cliff.

Perhaps this is an underground game or everyone is a baller, but if not...

Why not apply the cap rule when people are heads up too? This protects the donk from blowing his load, but it also protects the game because if the donk blows his load too much he's going to stop coming right? Then someone's going to need to head down to the local bowling alley and find randoms that say they like to play cards (e.g. worm from rounders).

Perhaps this is an underground game or everyone is a baller, but if not...

Why not apply the cap rule when people are heads up too? This protects the donk from blowing his load, but it also protects the game because if the donk blows his load too much he's going to stop coming right? Then someone's going to need to head down to the local bowling alley and find randoms that say they like to play cards (e.g. worm from rounders).
Depends on the donk, some of my players would be frustrated by limit games and caps when they want to splash and gamble. Totally understand what you're saying, though, this is why its only when they both agree to it.

Balancing the two types is tricky in my games, few players would strongly prefer a bomb pot everytime someone blinks while others hate the idea of preflop raising.

Why not apply the cap rule when people are heads up too?
Because they are two consenting adults that don't need every little thing controlled. If they want to keep raising each other when either can say "call" whenever they want, there is no good reason to not let them.

I would like to point out that neither the winner or loser is here complaining....the OP was not in the hand. (not saying he is complaining, merely asking whether is was "fair")

I fail to see anything wrong with this situation, or anything that needs to be fixed with rules or bumper guards.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom