Lighted Rail Table Questions (1 Viewer)

Trihonda

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
A lighted table has always piqued my interest some, And I've toyed with the idea, but I know they're more complicated to build. I have an opportunity to obtain a DIY build kit from a reputable table builder for a very reasonable price. This builder has built over 1000 tables, and does high end work (comes recommended by many locally).

Three questions:

The builder knows I've built a bunch of tables, and says he wants to cut me a deal (pun intended) on all the lumber pieces cut to spec on his CNC machine. Deal would include all play surface pieces, an assembled rail, and the defuser. Deal would not include legs, upholstery, or actual lighting source (but he would show me where he buys his lighting online, and how to integrate it into the table). Essentially, he's giving me all the cut wood pieces (including routed out channel for the diffuser). I simply add lighting, upholster, and assemble. His pricing is in the realm of $300. Question. Is this a good deal, or with someone of my skills find it a simpler and much cheaper to do all my measurements and cuts myself? Construction is 100% plywood.

Second question:

I like the look of a raised/lighted rail table, but how practical is it, really? Does the light from across the table get annoying or blinding? Are there any benefits to the lighting, other than asthetics?

Last question:

The kit offered includes a diffuser, but I've seen a lot of tables with diffusers, then aluminum cut out designs placed in front of the diffuser. Thoughts on this, and where would I get something like that made? Price?

Any overall tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Here's a phot of this builders work:

5630e0593ec925b6ede5a5fc5fff6ca6.jpg

I have no clue...but check out novaflexled.com. I spec them at work. Their strip lighting is encased in 100% silicone, submersible, multi colored and white color Temps available and very affordable.

I don't work for them or get anything for free.

For the diffuser, check out t_chan (chanman). I saw he was making the aluminum cut outs over on pokertableforum.

I have no clue...but check out novaflexled.com. I spec them at work. Their strip lighting is encased in 100% silicone, submersible, multi colored and white color Temps available and very affordable.g

I don't work for them or get anything for free.

thanks! Will do!

For the diffuser, check out t_chan (chanman). I saw he was making the aluminum cut outs over on pokertableforum.

I posted a similar thread there, and am hoping Tony will weigh in. I didn't realize he was selling the aluminum cutouts. If I do a custom cloth, I'm certainly going to use him. However, I leaning towards SSC... Not sure if I just need to pony up for custom if I am going with a lighted retail table..?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom