Light sanding of new CPC Chips? o_O (1 Viewer)

Quicksilver-75

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I was shuffling my normal hhr stack tonight and remarked how much I love the feel of them. They’re crisp and have sharp edges but the nubbiness of the mold has lessened. Which got me thinking.
So, I tried running some of my extras on 1000grit auto paper. No water. Just two left and two right circles with minimal pressure. Once done the chips have the same buttery soft feel of the Paulsons. They stack solid. Anybody else try this?

Did a triple take on the username, expected a noob. Many have to try this tomorrow, the texture on the B Molds is definitely aggressive, and I’ve been excited for the day when they’ve broken in a little bit, needless to say our regular games haven’t happened in a long time.

Yeah. There are certain moods I wouldn’t try this with. But the HHR and Amold are two that really need breaking in. I just helped it along. The purest in me can’t quite bring himself to “sand” new chips. But it was a neat little experiment. And there seems to be no indication that it has happened unnaturally.

So many moons ago in high school, the way I improved my dice chips (they were actually the suited plastic slugged ones with the dots for edge spots), was to take heavy grit sand paper to them with an orbital sander. It created enough texture on the chips for them to stack/shuffle better / feel a little more realistic. We had beach towels snuggly pulled and stapled down to plywood for tables.

All these years later, paying 30x per chip as I did back then, and I still gotta get out the sander I guess!

I was shuffling my normal hhr stack tonight and remarked how much I love the feel of them. They’re crisp and have sharp edges but the nubbiness of the mold has lessened. Which got me thinking.
So, I tried running some of my extras on 1000grit auto paper. No water. Just two left and two right circles with minimal pressure. Once done the chips have the same buttery soft feel of the Paulsons. They stack solid. Anybody else try this?
Steve I oiled the sample set you sent us last night and damn near cut myself about 10 times!! There is a such thing as too sharp on these poker chips! I don't blame you at all and I guarantee they are much better! If you played those chips on your new table it would be covered in blood in a couple hours man! Wow they are sharp!!

CPCs take a while to break in too, so again sand away!! Lol

I don’t mind the edges. It was the sound and feel of the chips with the nubs. If aligned in just the right way it is pretty much the sensation you get when rubbing two cheap bicycle chips together. I wish there was a way to express what I tried without sounding like I was wearing a face shield and sparks flying everywhere. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

HHR. Like I say, I have a shuffle stack of Palmas that are the best feeling chips I’ve handled. They’ve been shuffled for countless hours. When I started shuffling my new ones it got me thinking. The amount I’m taking off is minimal. I’m probably doing nothing more than rounding the tips of the nubs. I’d say I’ve taken them from HHR out of the box to FDL out of the box in terms of feeling.

I'm curious which mold you have as each (of the molds I've handled) CPC mold feels and shuffles different imo.
Damn, I never thought to take that in to account when ordering from CPC. I figured it was mostly a design thing...

Damn, I never thought to take that in to account when ordering from CPC. I figured it was mostly a design thing...
CPC molds are night and day different in the feel and even sound of the chips. From what I’ve handled I think the best feeling molds are SCrown>MD-50>BMold>plain mold> everything else

From Factory:
78A3ABD1-0521-4B78-BBF2-A8115B29328E.jpeg

1000grit:
0BF42DE4-7B0A-4EA3-BAAB-B739785230D3.jpeg

I should also add that only the outer 80% of the chip ever hits the paper. The recessed inlay portion doesn’t touch. Again, I am not about to do the whole set. I can’t. It just doesn’t feel right. But I was curious. And the results feel great. But it’s the journey they say....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom