Lets talk inlay size (1 Viewer)

bsdunbar1

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Specifically on the CSQ mold.
78" vs 1"

I really like the look of seeing the inner diameter "groove".

On the 1" inlay it completely consumes the inner diameter from groove to groove.

With the 7/8" inlay you are able to see the inner groove, which to me looks more symmetrical & complete.

The questions I have are is the larger size worth it? The larger size obviously allows for your inlay to be more legible, but is that 1/8" significant?
Also, in regards to the inlay being centered. With the 1" inlay if it is off center it will really really be noticeable. Are they off center that much?
You guys who have made multiple sets and have used both, which do you prefer? What are the pros and cons you see?

I've never owned a csq set before, but I went back and forth on this same decision for my own set.

I do have 3 samples on csq. And I think for this mold specifically I like the 7/8. I also think your inlay would look great with a bit of clay inside the inner rim.
IMG_20190510_211535.jpg

Sorry I don't actually own a set of csq's, but I'm going to post my opinion anyways.

For me csq's look much better with 7/8 inch inlays.

I'm going to be a contrarian here, I prefere the 1" over 7/8". I don't mind a slight bit of "oversplash" over whatever you want to call it when the inlay isn't percfectly centered. To me its preferable to seeing too much of the base between the end of the edge spots and the inlay. I also like the ability to have slightly larger fonts on the inlay with a bigger size.

I do agree with @BGinGA, however, that 15/16" would be better than both of the current options.

Last edited:
7/8" on CSQ for sure. And I like large inlays. I just don't think they work well with that mold.

The bigger inlay means a lot if your design demands it. The Redbelly set is a perfect example.

Reducing that would be detrimental to the readability of the chip.

The D logo in the OP might work fine on 7/8. Simple is good for small labels. Super simple is great for no labels (Hotstamps). Oversized if best when the label is extremely complex (Duy's). Finally, Ceramic is the go-to when the image is a 39mm work of art (Paymasters).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom