Let's talk about sunglasses at the table

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
My alternative to wearing sunglasses is to wear a cap and then pull the bill down over my eyes a bit when I'm in a hand while at the same time tilting my head forward. Sometimes I accompany this move with a Phil Helmuth hand-over-the-mouth maneuver. It doesn't really help. Either way, I'm still a donkey, just a donkey wearing a hat with his hoof over his mouth.
But you're a loveable donkey. :D

I too typically use a ball cap for hiding my eyes while involved in a hand if deemed necessary. The sunglasses stay on top of the hat.

Wish I knew where the article was. But in an interview Ivey said he tried glasses at the table once misread the board and lost the pot. So threw the $500 designer glasses in the garbage because it cost him a few thousand dollar pot.

upNdown

4 of a Kind
Tourney Director
Wish I knew where the article was. But in an interview Ivey said he tried glasses at the table once misread the board and lost the pot. So threw the $500 designer glasses in the garbage because it cost him a few thousand dollar pot.
Strangely, he was wearing sunglasses at this year's main event.

Wearing sunglasses indoors is wannabe movie star

Wearing a hat indoors (if you’re a male) just means your parents didn’t bring you up properly

Wearing headphones with company just means you’re my 12 year old son and are gonna get a smack

I've only ever worn sunglasses twice (both for convenience, nothing else). I came last in one game, and won the other, so not entirely sure if it helped or not :p

I actually think sunglasses make playing harder. I have a hard time picking up little things in my peripheral vision that contribute to the decision making process of the game. That being said, I only tried during big tournaments and otherwise avoid them.

When I was younger I liked to use them so I could look without bothering other players, now unfortunately over the years I already wear reading glasses on the tip of my nose and a baseball cap to hide from other looks. but in my last serious tournament I saw that the trend was another one is to cover your mouth, not your eyes.
Foto 28-1-18 7 06 47.jpg

upNdown

4 of a Kind
Tourney Director
When I was younger I liked to use them so I could look without bothering other players, now unfortunately over the years I already wear reading glasses on the tip of my nose and a baseball cap to hide from other looks. but in my last serious tournament I saw that the trend was another one is to cover your mouth, not your eyes.
View attachment 186640
I've noticed that, watching WSOP tournaments and other tournaments. The mouth covering has become very popular. The European men will wear scarves. American men seem to prefer pulling their sweatshirt over the lower half of their face. God only knows what they're all hiding.

Unless you are playing for significant amounts of money against extremely good players sunglasses qualify as “poker shtick” in my view.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/annoying-poker-“shtick”.27025/

Doyle Brunson talked about being able to see a mans carotid artery throbbing when they put to a decision that would cost them the price of a Cadillac. I don’t think that is happening at many home games.

Top Bottom