Let's talk about Suede baby(for your rail) (1 Viewer)

ando5k

High Hand
Reaction score
New guy here putting together his 2nd table. First one used whisper vinyl. Looking at making a 2nd table with a suede and had a few questions for anybody that has done it. Question 1, Does the suede have the same longevity stretched as vinyl does? My fear is that it will wear and eventually loosen leaving more of a couch cushion instead of a rail, but I see quite a few examples on this site of some beautiful rails, so I would guess no.

2nd Question, does the density and thickness of the foam matter as much with a suede rail as it does with a vinyl? I assume the 1" hd foam is still the standard.

Final question. Are all suedes created equal for rails? I see the texuede on YAT at $20 a yard, but I look at Joann's and I see this: https://www.joann.com/home-decor-so...prefn1=prod_type&sz=54&start=1&prefv1=Product Is there really that big of a difference to justify 3x cost plus shipping? Are there other examples folks have of rail suede that is more affordable than $60 a table? Thanks

Suede makes me nervous mainly in part because it stains super easy. Then its there. Forever... I've never tried Texuede though. I'll have to do a little research on that.

edit:
Does this Texuede have any elasticity to it?

Suede makes me nervous mainly in part because it stains super easy. Then its there. Forever... I've never tried Texuede though. I'll have to do a little research on that.

edit:
Does this Texuede have any elasticity to it?

My Texuede is black. I can't see it staining. I don't think there's much elasticity, but @T_Chan would be able to give a professional opinion.

I've had a suede rail in use on my main table since August 2011. It has no apparent stains (though it is black) or discoloration, even after nights where I grilled 25 burgers or smoked turkey or beef for dinner - and I know my arms must have had at least some carbon on them.

Both my tables have black suede, I'd never use vinyl on my tables again. Texuade is what you want, IMHO its worth the few extra $$$.

Both my tables have black suede, I'd never use vinyl on my tables again. Texuade is what you want, IMHO its worth the few extra $$$.
Did you use Texuede SP, or Texuede Soave? The Soave version seems to have a built in stain resistance, and is a lot cheaper than the SP. I may be ordering a sample of each to see what the difference is.
Anyone have experience with both? @T_Chan, @allforcharity ??

Did you use Texuede SP, or Texuede Soave? The Soave version seems to have a built in stain resistance, and is a lot cheaper than the SP. I may be ordering a sample of each to see what the difference is.
Anyone have experience with both? @T_Chan, @allforcharity ??

I didn't know there were two kinds. Tony should know which one he uses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom