Letgo find...snap-on tool chest (1 Viewer)

uclaure

Flush
Reaction score
I have been looking for a while at getting a tool chest to store chips. Hadn’t really found anything I liked in my price range, less than $300. I came across this snap-on Black Knight edition bottom and top chest. The price wasn’t listed, just said negotiable. I contacted the seller and asked how much they were selling it for and they said $500. I asked if I could go ook at it to get a better idea of its condition. So I drove over and saw that it was a genuine Snap-on chest. It was in a little rough shape. The bottom chest had a dent and the top chest had a bigger dent on the top back left corner...possibly suffered from a fall. All the drawers opened a closed, not very smoothly though. Not all the locking mechanisms worked properly. The chest was full of tools. I offered 300 and they accepted. Sweet, especially since I looked up that chest online and I saw them selling from 4-7.5K !
Now how to get it home...wouldn’t fit in the back of my Honda Pilot...even if it did, this thing was freakin heavy. I left a deposit for half of the amount and agreed to return during the weekend with a lift-gate truck. I called around and the best price I could find was 59.95 per day plus 0.59/mi for a 16 ft box truck with a lift. They had 12 footers, but none available today. I get to the home and back up into the driveway. I start rolling the chest toward the truck. I lower the lift and try to roll it on...too heavy to get it over the small lip. I back it up and get a running start...it gets partially on. I try to maneuver it with the help of the lady, but it’s not working. She calls her adult son out and with his help we get it on. That was on ordeal in itself.
I make the 40 min drive in traffic to my home ( only 14 mi away, lol). When I get home, I decide I’m going to unload this thing on my own. I don’t like inconveniencing people or asking for help. I figure if I take all the tools out it’ll be lighter and easier to move. So, I empty all the drawers then back the truck up to the entrance to my garage, which has a slight slope. I take my time trying to position the chest on the lift, but it’s tricky because the wheel locks don’t function properly. Every time I would scoot it on one side, the other side would start rolling towards the edge. At one point, I seriously thought the whole thing was going to fall over. It started rolling off the edge and I put all of my strength into it and pulled it back. I was praying that it wouldn’t keep rolling back. I don’t know how, actually I do (the man upstairs), but I got it positioned perfectly on the gate and lowered down. What a rush! I was done at that point, but I still had to unload all of the tools I had emptied in the truck.
After surviving that, I’m now trying to figure out how to proceed. I think I’m going to give it a good cleaning and grease all the drawers. The top door opens up and reveals a cool image of a sword. It doesn’t open all the way though because of the bent top corner. I’m going to see if I can bend some of the metal back enough to allow the door to swing all the way up. I’m sure I can store a crap load of chips in this thing. Or i might just use it for my tools, since I don’t have a proper place to store them. Or I might try and flip it and make a few bucks. We’ll see...for now I’m gonna drink a beer and celebrate the fact that I’m still alive after this crazy ordeal!
659D9AA7-B05F-4BFD-8737-220A6F1F81AA.jpeg
B28B8E5A-0DD2-4C3D-B9CE-B6C125BF4A31.jpeg

Full of tools too? We're they snapon?

This is an incredible find with or without the tools. This thing is probably worth atleast 5 grand when it's fixed up. All the parts to fix it up should be available through snap on. It might be stolen I can't see anyone who paid what these things cost new selling it for 300 dollars.

If I were you I would re-condition and re paint this thing and sell it for a big profit. Or you could probably just list it for like 1000 to 1500 and it would sell fast.

Good find! Post pics of the tools. $300 screams "I am stolen" but maybe not. Death, disease, or divorce may have played a factor.

If the tools are snap on then damn did you get a deal. Our mechanics at work spend thousand upon thousand amassing these. The stolen thing popped in my mind too, but maybe somehow they had no idea what they had.

I’m pretty sure it’s not stolen. The couple I bought it from are older and they just sold their home and moving out of LA to cheaper Riverside county. I believe it belonged to a family member who kept it in their garage. They’re getting rid of a lot of things they do not want to take with them to their new place. I found old pay stubs inside...the guy worked at pep boys. He had pictures of his car, a late 70’s Oldsmobile. He probably got most of the tools from pep boys. There were a few snail on tools, but majority look like generic mechanic tools he probably got from his job. There were a lot of car parts inside, brake pads, relays, bulbs, lubricants etc. The husband actually told me that he looked it up online and he said they go for about 3k so he knew that it was not a cheap chest.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom