Let the Birds Die or Kill the Cat? (2 Viewers)

Let the Birds Die or Kill the Cat?

• Spare the furball

Votes: 46 69.7%
  • Save the songbirds, kill the furball

Votes: 20 30.3%

• Total voters
We 've got a serious wildboar problem in most of Greece, caused by irresponsible and illiterate "hunters' associations", illegally "introducing" shit tons of them in the wild.
Now, they 've come to city centers (thankfully, the pigs; the "hunters" are much worse and they were here anyway), causing serious danger in the countryside for B-roads traffic too, while properties in villages are being ravaged (thank God I kept my automatic watering system within my village home this winter).

Firearms are not normally allowed here, but again the "Law" here is a joke.
Would you opt for 9mm or 10mm revolvers for anti-pig use?
I 'm saying revolvers, for minimum maintenance and training.
I don’t know the variation of wild boar’s you have there, but I would certainly opt for a high power rifle over a pistol - unless you are an extremely good shot. And even then, I wouldn’t face off with a wild boar with only a 9mm by choice - lol.

Boars are mean and tough bastards. A pistol might just piss it off and then your in for a really bad day :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Life has a way of throwing you curve balls.

Learning the challenges my neighbor across the street has faced over the last few years softened my stance on the feral cat living under his trailer. I took the wait and see approach, figuring the fox might outsmart the cat and make a meal of him or a passing car might take him out. Neither event happened.

I did take matters into my own hands early one misty morning when I witnessed him prowling, semi crouched, stealthily up along the bank of the driveway, entering the lilac bush from behind. The unsuspecting songbirds actively flying around the bird feeders out front.

Armed, I went outside with lethal intent. I approached the lilac bush from the wrong side, allowing the feral cat to escape. He darted for the garage, by the time I made my way over he was down the hill hidden somewhere in the tall grasses where the lawn ends.

We played the cat and mouse game one other time, with the same result. Work demands during the summer resulted in fewer mornings at home. Out of sight, out of mind. To my alarm, the next time I caught the feral black cat on my property, he had an orange tabby in tow. I cursed myself for not taken his presence more seriously.

Near the end of summer, I caught a glimpse of him crossing my office window. Seizing upon the opportunity, I quickly slipped on my loafers, grabbed my gun and quietly exited my house, walking softly to the edge of the garage. Stepping around the corner, I found him standing less than thirty feet away, out in the open! Surprised to find myself that close, I hesitated long enough for him to sense my presence. He did a quarter turn, craning his neck to cast a stare in my direction, revealing his entire side in the process. Neither one of us moved, both aware of the other.

His large green eyes locked on to mine. In that moment when I should have taken my shot, I lost my fortitude. He had grown. His stare and posture underscored that he was a wild cat, not a domesticated house pet. Like the squirrels I once killed to keep out of the feeders, but now accepted as part of the wildlife, I recognized that this bane of my life for the last five months fell into the same category.

I kept his stare for four or five seconds, then stepped back, and rounded the corner of the garage from whence I came, with the gun hanging down by my side.

Had I grown soft? What if he breeds and produces other feral cats? What are the consequences then?

I bandied these questions about in my head amongst others over the next couple of months. Ken, a friend of mine whose property I care-take during the winter, stopped in for a visit last month before going out west. Ken grew up in Colorado and is an accomplished artist. He paints landscapes and like me, he has an appreciation for songbirds and wildlife. I shared with Ken my dilemma.

From Ken's point of view, feral cats are territorial, which raises the question: If I kill the black feral cat, would I find myself in the same position again? Then what? Food for thought.

Ken knows he is on borrowed time. His lungs are dying. (Pulmonary fibrosis) Because of his weakened state, Ken enlisted my help in gathering pink granite rocks this past June. Short of breath, to the point where he needs to rest after walking a few steps uphill, Ken spent the entire summer building a birdbath in his front yard one stone at a time.

His words struck a cord with me. They contained wisdom that I lacked.

This morning I woke up, walked into the dining room and peered outside. Between the two staves from which I hang the birdfeeders, sitting upright, still as an Egyptian statue, was the black feral cat, gazing over his dominion.

(Picture of the two staves along with two bushy tail grey squirrels feeding on the seed mix I scattered on the ground.)
1639871035368.png

Last edited:
Life has a way of throwing you curve balls.

Learning the challenges my neighbor across the street has faced over the last few years softened my stance on the feral cat living under his trailer. I took the wait and see approach, figuring the fox might outsmart the cat and make a meal of him or a passing car might take him out. Neither event happened.

I did take matters into my own hands early one misty morning when I witnessed him prowling, semi crouched, stealthily up along the bank of the driveway, entering the lilac bush from behind. The unsuspecting songbirds actively flying around the bird feeders out front.

Armed, I went outside with lethal intent. I approached the lilac bush from the wrong side, allowing the feral cat to escape. He darted for the garage, by the time I made my way over he was down the hill hidden somewhere in the tall grasses where the lawn ends.

We played the cat and mouse game one other time, with the same result. Work demands during the summer resulted in fewer mornings at home. Out of sight, out of mind. To my alarm, the next time I caught the feral black cat on my property, he had an orange tabby in tow. I cursed myself for not taken his presence more seriously.

Near the end of summer, I caught a glimpse of him crossing my office window. Seizing upon the opportunity, I quickly slipped on my loafers, grabbed my gun and quietly exited my house, walking softly to the edge of the garage. Stepping around the corner, I found him standing less than thirty feet away, out in the open! Surprised to find myself that close, I hesitated long enough for him to sense my presence. He did a quarter turn, craning his neck to cast a stare in my direction, revealing his entire side in the process. Neither one of us moved, both aware of the other.

His large green eyes locked on to mine. In that moment when I should have taken my shot, I lost my fortitude. He had grown. His stare and posture underscored that he was a wild cat, not a domesticated house pet. Like the squirrels I once killed to keep out of the feeders, but now accepted as part of the wildlife, I recognized that this bane of my life for the last five months fell into the same category.

I kept his stare for four or five seconds, then stepped back, and rounded the corner of the garage from whence I came, with the gun hanging down by my side.

Had I grown soft? What if he breeds and produces other feral cats? What are the consequences then?

I bandied these questions about in my head amongst others over the next couple of months. Ken, a friend of mine whose property I care-take during the winter, stopped in for a visit last month before going out west. Ken grew up in Colorado and is an accomplished artist. He paints landscapes and like me, he has an appreciation for songbirds and wildlife. I shared with Ken my dilemma.

From Ken's point of view, feral cats are territorial, which raises the question: If I kill the black feral cat, would I find myself in the same position again? Then what? Food for thought.

Ken knows he is on borrowed time. His lungs are dying. (Pulmonary fibrosis) Because of his weakened state, Ken enlisted my help in gathering pink granite rocks this past June. Short of breath, to the point where he needs to rest after walking a few steps uphill, Ken spent the entire summer building a birdbath in his front yard one stone at a time.

His words struck a cord with me. They contained wisdom that I lacked.

This morning I woke up, walked into the dining room and peered outside. Between the two staves from which I hang the birdfeeders, sitting upright, still as an Egyptian statue, was the black feral cat, gazing over his dominion.

(Picture of the two staves along with two bushy tail grey squirrels feeding on the seed mix I scattered on the ground.)
View attachment 831580
i will never know if this entire thread is real or fake.

It’s good to see you step outside the political side of the forum. Just seeing this post now, hoping the cat is alive and well and your conscience is free from the burden of murder.

I will snap a picture of the cat by the bird feeders/lilac bush when I get a chance.

My hesitation on what to do about the situation gave the cat time to mature, which changed everything. The high powered Gamo air rifle I purchased to kill red and grey squirrels isn't powerful enough to kill a grown cat without running the risk of inflicting serious harm and I am not going to use my .22 to do the job.

His sudden appearance not only caught me off-guard, it occurred during a time when I was working long hours trying to finish projects. He was using the lilac bush and bird feeders as a killing ground to hone his skills as a predator.

Because he is a feral cat, there was no simple solution. I couldn't politely ask my neighbor to keep his house pet inside.

The shock of the intrusion gradually wore off as did my emotional reaction to the situation.

This winter, I have an unusually high number of smaller songbirds gathering around the feeders. Several dozen golden finches and dark eye juncos and a healthy number of black capped chickadees. In addition to the aforementioned songbirds, there are two red cardinals and a female cardinal that have returned. My only fear is that he may kill one of them.

Unusually warm weather this morning. Woke up early and took a walk outside wearing my headlamp to get an idea of the snowmelt.

Noticed two bright white orbs staring at me from the lilac bush.

1645614921084.png

Thought for a moment that it was a flying squirrel. (Spotted twice.)

Realized it might be the feral cat from across the street.

1645615023893.png

The eyes kept following me as I walked around the lilac bush trying to get a better view.

Crouching low.

1645615143664.png

Caught the bugger!

1645615237359.jpeg

Captured a couple of great shots of him waiting patiently for his morning buffet.

Staring back at me, wondering who I am.

1645615314922.png

1645615367790.png

Last edited:
Is it safe to assume you don't eat chicken, but you do eat dog then?

Is it safe to assume you don't eat chicken, but you do eat dog then?

Safe to assume that he feels somewhat safe in the cover of darkness.

Spent some time playing cat and mouse before he felt secure enough to let down his guard, allowing me to capture the last couple of pictures.

My question is: Do cats taste like chicken?

I don’t like the idea of killing anything. I know someone who has successfully used motion-sensor sprinklers to keep deer and others out of gardens. Might work for your cat problem!
Yes, but this would actually ATTRACT retrievers. I mean, it would create the cutest problem ever, but the retriever owners of the neighborhood will probably be upset at you their dogs are always coming home wet and panting.

My subsequent conversations with Ken, whose property I caretake in the wintertime, put the matter to rest. And that is where the story ends.

What? That's the end of the story? What happened to the cat?

What did Ken tell you to do?

Kill the cat and bury it on his property?
Take the cat to humane society and it was killed?
Capture the cat, release it on his property, and it was subsequently killed by the harsh winter?
You captured the cat, domesticated it, but you killed it anyway?
Is Ken really the cat's dad?

I need answers!

Ken's p.o.v. is that feral cats are territorial and if I killed the black cat, that could invite another. Then what?

Feral cats seem to kill for the sport of it when they are young. He was the most destructive during the first few weeks. Silly as it sounds, I was also concerned about the safety of the pair of chipmunks that occasionally appear around the birdfeeders. From time to time, one of them would come out by feet when I would sprinkle ground seed around the feeders.

My life is busier now then the winter. I haven't seen the cat in two or three months. I don't believe Ken is the father.

Here is a link by Cornell Lab on the subject of "Outdoor Cats And Their Effects On Birds."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom