Launch day! Who's watching? (2 Viewers)

Launch is still 3+ hours away, but the stream is live now. Just a heads up.

Had to look up the significance of this because I had not been paying attention. Found a nice summary:

What we're covering here
  • What is happening: SpaceX is expected to launch astronauts Douglas Hurley and Robert Behnken on a mission to the International Space Station at 4:33 pm ET today.
  • Why it matters: This will be the first space launch from US soil since 2011.
  • A win for SpaceX: If successful, this would be SpaceX’s first-ever crewed mission in the company’s 18-year history.

Also, this is DEMO-2: It's the final test to gain certification from the govt to a commercial company to provide crewed space flight.

DEMO-1 was this exact same procedure, all the way to ISS and back, just without people within it.

Had to look up the significance of this because I had not been paying attention. Found a nice summary:

What we're covering here
  • What is happening: SpaceX is expected to launch astronauts Douglas Hurley and Robert Behnken on a mission to the International Space Station at 4:33 pm ET today.
  • Why it matters: This will be the first space launch from US soil since 2011.
  • A win for SpaceX: If successful, this would be SpaceX’s first-ever crewed mission in the company’s 18-year history.
Yeah, I don't know why this isn't getting more media attention. My wife didn't know about it until I mentioned it last night. I'll have to remind her later to turn it on and watch with the kids because I'm at the office today.

As a kid I had Space Shuttle wallpaper in my room and a constellation painted on the ceiling and I still geek out over space stuff.

Yeah, I don't know why this isn't getting more media attention.

Totally agree. I have paid close attention to SpaceX's progress for years and I care about spaceflight more than most. And I almost missed this somehow. Seems like a serious PR failure to me.

It's also possible that I've just been avoiding the news on purpose.

We bought our house from an old widow whose husband had worked at Martin Marietta, and he had this picture in the basement signed by the Apollo 17 crew. I tried to convince her that she could leave it with the house, but no dice.

DSC00115.JPG

I was enthralled with the possibilities of Diamandis’s Ansari XPrize competition 25 years ago and was in awe with what Burt Rutan did with Space Ship One. This is going to be a fun day.

Can you imagine the iss astronauts that have been up there watching us deal with a pandemic and then watching this rocket come toward them. “MFers better have SCRUBBED that thing inside and if I see ONE sneeze we’re calling this off....” ;)
Was thinking this too! That's a pretty easy disease vector to trace.

Is this a good source to watch the actual launch online? I don’t have live tv where I am.
So far it's been mostly good info. There is a live feed in Dragon right now. They are already seated and running tests I believe. A lot of interviews and history discussions, as well as reports on what social media thinks. :rolleyes:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom