Launch day! Who's watching? (1 Viewer)

SpaceX just re-launched the first stage that they used to send Bob & Doug to the ISS, setting a record for fastest turnaround of an orbital rocket at 51 days. It's a new record for the Falcon 9 and also beats the previous best from 1985 when NASA launched Atlantis 54 days after landing. Interesting, but it seems like a weird comparison to me since Atlantis was the vehicle and the rocket boosters did the heavy lifting and were not reused.

SpaceX just re-launched the first stage that they used to send Bob & Doug to the ISS, setting a record for fastest turnaround of an orbital rocket at 51 days. It's a new record for the Falcon 9 and also beats the previous best from 1985 when NASA launched Atlantis 54 days after landing. Interesting, but it seems like a weird comparison to me since Atlantis was the vehicle and the rocket boosters did the heavy lifting and were not reused.
I didn't realize that was the same first stage. I just came inside a few minutes ago after watching the launch from my yard. :cool

I didn't realize that was the same first stage. I just came inside a few minutes ago after watching the launch from my yard. :cool
Very cool, I'm jealous!

I wondered if the rocket would be retired and saved after the historic launch of NASA astronauts from US soil again, but SpaceX said screw that, turn that bitch around pronto and go set a record!

Very cool, I'm jealous!

I wondered if the rocket would be retired and saved after the historic launch of NASA astronauts from US soil again, but SpaceX said screw that, turn that bitch around pronto and go set a record!

And just after the landing they said something about getting it ready for it's 3rd launch. Let the poor thing rest, it's been working hard!

Very cool, I'm jealous!

It's a crappy picture, but this gives a decent idea of what we can see from here. Night launches are 10x better, especially on a cloudless night.
IMG_20191220_063820.jpg

SpaceX is going to use that stage a bunch more, then probably send it to the Smithsonian once it's no longer usable. That's the best of both worlds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom