Latin Quarter Chip Review

Reaction score
I know a couple old-timers who will give me flack about the gray being too light if I bring these to the table.
"The gray is too light - I can't read it."
"You don't need to read it - It's a single chip, you know it is."
"Back when I..."

[me leaving to take a shot because my beer is no longer cutting it]

ODDSMAKER003

High Hand
Site Vendor
Reaction score
I know a couple old-timers who will give me flack about the gray being too light if I bring these to the table.
"The gray is too light - I can't read it."
"You don't need to read it - It's a single chip, you know it is."
"Back when I..."

[me leaving to take a shot because my beer is no longer cutting it]
What color do you use as a replacement for the white 1’s? This is certainly something we will address in the future.

Reaction score
What color do you use as a replacement for the white 1’s? This is certainly something we will address in the future.
The white is nice and appropriate - Maybe a darker gray would have prevented me from hedging.. that extra contrast helps the design stand out

Amish Rabbi

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
It’s just too small and not useful for telling the number of chips in a stack

ceramics are excellent for creative edge spots because they don’t have to be physically possible

Josh Kifer

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being ceramic we went with edge type rather than the edge spots.ceramic with edge spots is something that we will work on very soon.
I actually think the text edge will be more popular with amateur chippers and impulse buyers. It's a visual feature. It promotes the brand and pushes it as "designer". It's used to show off what it is.

But with hardcore chippers and serious poker players, edge spots and a dynamic edge helps us seeing denoms across the table and is more visually interesting when your use these three times a week.

Finding that middle ground is the hardest part.

Not a ceramic guy personally, but got a graphic design degree I never use. Just thinking as a chipper that's done some coursework.

Just throwing in my two cents.

ODDSMAKER003

High Hand
Site Vendor
Reaction score
I actually think the text edge will be more popular with amateur chippers and impulse buyers. It's a visual feature. It promotes the brand and pushes it as "designer". It's used to show off what it is.

But with hardcore chippers and serious poker players, edge spots and a dynamic edge helps us seeing denoms across the table and is more visually interesting when your use these three times a week.

Finding that middle ground is the hardest part.

Not a ceramic guy personally, but got a graphic design degree I never use. Just thinking as a chipper that's done some coursework.

Just throwing in my two cents.
This project started with a focus on playing cards and we added the chips later. We needed a chip set that could be used 3 times a week for years. We also wanted chips that handled well and were distinguishable from one another. China clays and Plastics didnt meet this criteria. Not being able to find a supplier of compressed clay we went with ceramics with vivid colors so that players can distinguish one chip denomination from the other. The writing versus edge markings certainly makes for less barber pole stacks and other creative ways to pass time, we are going to work on edge markings in the future

Josh Kifer

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This project started with a focus on playing cards and we added the chips later. We needed a chip set that could be used 3 times a week for years. We also wanted chips that handled well and were distinguishable from one another. China clays and Plastics didnt meet this criteria. Not being able to find a supplier of compressed clay we went with ceramics with vivid colors so that players can distinguish one chip denomination from the other. The writing versus edge markings certainly makes for less barber pole stacks and other creative ways to pass time, we are going to work on edge markings in the future
All good. I know ya got it. More explaining the perspective. Good luck!

yone

3 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m definitely in the minority that likes high end plastics. But I can understand production costs aren’t too favorable for marketing.

mrplacey

3 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one distraught by the set being called Latin Quarter, but there's no 0.25 chip?

ODDSMAKER003

High Hand
Site Vendor
Reaction score
I’m definitely in the minority that likes high end plastics. But I can understand production costs aren’t too favorable for marketing.
Yone,
Where can I find a sample of high end plastics?
Thanks,
Mike

ODDSMAKER003

High Hand
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Am I the only one distraught by the set being called Latin Quarter, but there's no 0.25 chip?
To help ease your mind. This set doesn’t have denominations. If you would like to use the 25 as cents that’s perfectly ok.

Chips vs Cheques is the one that always gets me. Although cheques are used for poker they are never referred to as such.

Last edited:

yone

3 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yone,
Where can I find a sample of high end plastics?
Thanks,
Mike
I have a custom set of Matsui’s and samples of Abbiati’s. I love the quality of the Matsui decals and mold options. However, the biggest drawback is the slipperiness, which I can live with.
Abbiati’s offer slightly more vibrant colors, (especially the red and blue) and have a much better feel. Abbiati’s are way more expensive though...I’m considering pan handling to obtain a custom Abbiati set.

Top Bottom