Landline Free! (1 Viewer)

Curiosity, and things anyone might want to consider:

Did you have an actual landline, or telephone service from a cable provider?

In your area, in really, really bad weather, which is most likely to fail -- cell service, cable service, or actual landline?

In an emergency, does that matter to you?

(I realize that being an urban LEO, you may have other communications capability...but not everyone does.)

p.s.: As you get older, cell phone audio sucks, big time. Cable-delivered telephone audio isn't that good, either, in my experience... I'd love to see actual bandwidth comparisons, if anyone has them...

We had an actual landline. Im not worried whatsoever about losing service. We've lost the landline service more over the last decade due to weather than cell service

20190519_123003.jpg

That looks like one of those 25-foot-long handset cords you used to be able to find in any hardware store, etc. Haven't seen one of those in a long time! (Remember Radio Shack? Sigh...). :cool

I can honestly say that I haven't had a landline in my adult life. 1997 when I left my parents house.

We witnessed a very similar thing, at Universal Studios Harry Potter. There is a old English phone booth and a trick that you can dial the ministry of magic phone number for a secret message, so there’s usually a line to get into the phone booth to try it. Last time there, we witnessed several teenage girls attempting to dial the rotary phone, and we should’ve gotten video, it was hilarious

We cut ours a few years ago. It suddenly went dead (again) and called the phone co. They said the problem was within the house, and would have to charge $60 to find the problem.

Me: "You want to charge me $60 to fix something that should be working?"
Phone Co: "Yes. The problem is on your end."
Me: "I could just get rid of your phone service"
Phone Co: "Well, how would you call anybody?"
Me: o_O "How do you think I'm talking to you?"

L-o-n-g silence

Me: "I'd like to cancel my phone service"

I really didn't want to. It's only my mom that would call on it (and telemarketers), and I wasn't going to give my mother my cell number (that lady can talk). Now we have an extra cell phone with it's own number. The only person that calls it is my mother... and robocalls. The extra cell phone is cheaper.

Last edited:
Holy shit. We are finally landline free. My wife refused to cut the cord on the landline even though only two damn people ever used it. Well, outside of damn telemarketers!!

@WedgeRock Its beautiful dude. If you haven't done so yet start pressuring the wife!!!
Would love to do the same. Wife won't cut the cord because of Justin Case. We never use it to call anyone and, other than Robo calls, the only one who uses it is my mother-in-law; when she can't reach my wife on her cell phone. My wife also has a physical newspaper subscription...

Would love to do the same. Wife won't cut the cord because of Justin Case. We never use it to call anyone and, other than Robo calls, the only one who uses it is my mother-in-law; when she can't reach my wife on her cell phone. My wife also has a physical newspaper subscription...
When I finally cut the phone cord, I felt like I was finally exempted from an "old man" tax.

Seriously, I wonder how much of landline phone conversations travel via satellite now. I think "Justin Case" has no case here anymore.

I'm gonna cancel ours as well. Not strictly a landline, we have Vonage, but now that my mother-in-law has learned facetime and whatsapp, there is absolutely no reason to keep the landline. Will save me $500 a year - more money for chippies!

I've had Ooma for years and happily pay about $5/month for our "landline". The main reason is that my in-laws watch the kids a lot and don't have cell phones, so we can reach them or they can call us in an emergency, like when we went out to dinner and a movie and had to rush home to take our dog to the emergency vet.

My 8-year-old daughter recently got her best friend's cell phone number and was so excited to call her (we won't buy our kids phones yet). She used the landline and for the first week they talked every evening for like an hour. It was so retro to see my daughter roaming the house or laying on the couch actually talking to her friend on the phone and not just texting and sending emojis or whatever. Her friend no longer has her cell phone because it went through the laundry, which we told our daughter is a perfect example of why she does not get a phone yet. But they can still talk when her friend can use her mom's phone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom