Labeling Done Right (1 Viewer)

Colquhoun

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
After going through the process of making my own mistakes while labeling chips, and after seeing countless images of labels either not centered, creeping up the edge of the recess, or not fully pressed down on the edges...I thought I would share what I have found to be the most effective technique so far.
Caution: this is FAR from the fastest technique.

The tools I use are:
Tweezers (the small one from the Harbor Freight set found here.)
A burnisher (this one is a part from a caulking set, but any soft plastic item with a pointed edge will do)
A plastic sculpting tool (I think it’s used mostly for plastic clay sculpture)
File_014.jpeg

I start by bending the backing of each row to expose the front edge of the labels (these are @Gear labels and the labels separate easily) and grab with the tweezers. I squeeze the tweezers and the label sticks to the bottom tine. I can release the tweezers and the label is still secure.
File_011a.jpg

While resting the bottom tine on the chip (I’m not squeezing the tweezers closed), the label is able to float a tiny fraction above the chip, so I can put it EXACTLY where I want it.
File_001.jpeg

I then “set” the edge of the label by gently pressing with my finger. While continuing to hold the label down, I can separate and slide out the tweezer.
File_002.jpeg

To burnish and set the adhesive, I use the blue burnisher in a circular motion starting from the center and working outward. The sharp corner of the burnisher can get almost all the way to the corner of the recess.
File_005a.jpg

To finish, I use the sculpting tool at a 45 degree angle into the corner of the recess, where this burnishes the outer edge and also “rounds over” the sharp edge of the label.
File_010.jpeg

I know this takes quite a while longer than peeling with your fingers and sticking down, but I’ve found the results to be superior, and will give the best chance for the labels to make the best contact and adhere fully.

Any techniques you’ve found effective are greatly appreciated!

How long does this method take per chip?

When I go for relabeling...that's not something relevant for me...prefer the right way vs quick & dirty
I'm not knocking the method. I'm a complete noob here....just asking the question. I have my first set of labels from gear...went through a rack so far, have 2 more racks to go...

I wouldnt push the label down in that manner, all you will do is make any imperfections underneath very visibile.

Best result for me is to gently lay the label on the chip, maybe push down with very little pressure, and let the glue do the work.

I wouldnt push the label down in that manner, all you will do is make any imperfections underneath very visibile.

Best result for me is to gently lay the label on the chip, maybe push down with very little pressure, and let the glue do the work.
I agree, if there are any imperfections.
However, on a milled chip, there shouldn't be any. On a murdered chip, I could see there may be issues.
I had a small dimple left over in the center of each chip that I had to scrape off.
Perfectly smooth is the goal.

I agree, if there are any imperfections.
However, on a milled chip, there shouldn't be any. I had a small dimple left over in the center of each chip that I had to scrape off.
Perfectly smooth is the goal.
Good point! I didnt see that. For newbies doing nonmilled chips skip that step.

Thanks, will do - if I can. Another member mentioned they’re on pretty sizable back order and not taking new orders currently. Perhaps that wouldn’t apply tothe sample packs tho

Thanks, will do - if I can. Another member mentioned they’re on pretty sizable back order and not taking new orders currently. Perhaps that wouldn’t apply tothe sample packs tho
Hey There,

We are still taking orders, but you are correct, the wait is pretty long. I posted an update just last week here.
In regards to sample sets, those are already printed and ready to go at your request. Just go to our website and ask. :)

Cheers!

I'm not knocking the method. I'm a complete noob here....just asking the question. I have my first set of labels from gear...went through a rack so far, have 2 more racks to go...
In my humble opinion, it's not noticeably more time consuming than using your fingers. Especially when you have to stop to pull off labels that you couldn't lay perfectly with your fingers. As others have said, I opted for using the exacto knife to pick up and lay the label down. I then smooth it out with my finger once the label is in place.

I’m about venture into the adding gear labels to murdered chip business. This is exactly what I needed.

Thanks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom