Label specs for best results with Gear labels? (1 Viewer)

Toby

Full House
Reaction score
I've been asked to produce a couple of designs for relabels, including 39mm formerly inlaid THCs and some 47mm Winners Club chips.

Can anyone advise on the inlay size to use to get best results?

Normally use for 22.225mm for new 39mm inlays for customs... But are there any process issues with removing labels, or recesses on chips that have already been labelled, which affect the inlay size?

Curious to know what folk have used and what specs yield the best results for @Gear labels.

Thanks in advance!

Well, @Gear would know best, why not ask him directly?

From what I've seen, 39mm THC chips with a standard size inlay would be 7/8" in diameter. That's what I'm doing with my own small inlay replacement project.
I have no idea about your 47mm.

Well, @Gear would know best, why not ask him directly?

From what I've seen, 39mm THC chips with a standard size inlay would be 7/8" in diameter. That's what I'm doing with my own small inlay replacement project.
I have no idea about your 47mm.

I've emailed Chris but have heard he's really busy.

Was hoping some folk in the community had some experience/theories to share as well as @Gear!

In my experience if you let @Gear know what chips you are labeling then he will appropriately size them. I have had him provide labels on many different 36mm, 39mm, 43mm, and 47mm (Winner's Clubs) chips without issue.

As a business, I wouldn't expect @Gear to provide those numbers as it is part of the service he provides (like asking for the special sauce recipe). He puts a lot of work into finding the right size for each chip.

And, if it's up in the air (for example, with some of BCC's offerings where the inlays were oval or the recesses were inconsistent,) @Gear has even sent out sizing labels to make sure they fit.
20190304_164317.jpg

Thanks everyone!

@Toby I do indeed owe you an email -- coming today.

In terms of size, I generally need to work with supplied files a little bit anyway (e.g. to add cutlines) so resizing is not a big deal. There's generally no need for you guys to worry too much about the exact precise size -- just tell me exactly what chips you're planning to label (with a photo if possible) and I will take care of it.

That said, it's not a bad idea to print out your design(s) at life-size, to check whether those fine filigree details are even visible, but for that you don't need ultra precision in measuring the label size. The nearest mm is plenty good enough for sanity-checking a design.

Thanks everyone!

@Toby I do indeed owe you an email -- coming today.

In terms of size, I generally need to work with supplied files a little bit anyway (e.g. to add cutlines) so resizing is not a big deal. There's generally no need for you guys to worry too much about the exact precise size -- just tell me exactly what chips you're planning to label (with a photo if possible) and I will take care of it.

That said, it's not a bad idea to print out your design(s) at life-size, to check whether those fine filigree details are even visible, but for that you don't need ultra precision in measuring the label size. The nearest mm is plenty good enough for sanity-checking a design.

I think the emails have details of the chips/sizes.

I just didn't want to create extra work for you, if it could be avoided! (The opening of files, rescaling of elements etc!)

Anyone know if label designs need to include a bleed area (I normally would assume so), or is his cutting machine so precise it can be designed at exact size?

Anyone know if label designs need to include a bleed area

Answered in PM but publicly is useful too: About 1/16" is usually enough. For example a 1" circle should be about 1.05" or more. (I guess technically that's 1/32" bleed, but you get the idea.)

is any cutting machine so precise it can be designed at exact size?
Nope :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom