Label Shrinkage - PSA (1 Viewer)

Wifey

GEAR LABELS
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Hey everyone - this is something I have had to type out a few times so I thought I would put out a PSA.

Shrinkage.png

There is such a thing as shrinkage!
These labels are little circles cut out of large sheets of stretchy vinyl that are 20" wide and over a hundred feet long...
The backing this vinyl is put on gives little to no resistance, to ensure easy removal.

This means there is nothing to resist the very stretchy vinyl from contracting/shrinking in size, since there isn't a wide spread out force holding it on the backing.
We actually factor this shrinkage in when cutting unlaminated labels meant for over labelling. They experience this phenomena the most.

Laminate applied on top helps reduce and slow the process, but those labels shrink up over time too.

Once the labels are applied to the chip, this is no longer a major issue.
The adhesive against the hard surface of the chip is enough resistance to prevent shrinkage for both laminated and unlaminated labels alike.

The longer your labels stay on the sheets and not applied to the chips, the more likely it is the size of the label will be smaller than expected or desired.

I feel like there should be some sort of GI Joe reference here...but I never watched that so I can't say for sure.
(I was an old school Spiderman cartoon fan. It was on at the same time on Saturdays where I grew up.)

Goldfish

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone - this is something I have had to type out a few times so I thought I would put out a PSA.

View attachment 934698

There is such a thing as shrinkage!
These labels are little circles cut out of large sheets of stretchy vinyl that are 20" wide and over a hundred feet long...
The backing this vinyl is put on gives little to no resistance, to ensure easy removal.

This means there is nothing to resist the very stretchy vinyl from contracting/shrinking in size, since there isn't a wide spread out force holding it on the backing.
We actually factor this shrinkage in when cutting unlaminated labels meant for over labelling. They experience this phenomena the most.

Laminate applied on top helps reduce and slow the process, but those labels shrink up over time too.

Once the labels are applied to the chip, this is no longer a major issue.
The adhesive against the hard surface of the chip is enough resistance to prevent shrinkage for both laminated and unlaminated labels alike.

The longer your labels stay on the sheets and not applied to the chips, the more likely it is the size of the label will be smaller than expected or desired.

I feel like there should be some sort of GI Joe reference here...but I never watched that so I can't say for sure.
(I was an old school Spiderman cartoon fan. It was on at the same time on Saturdays where I grew up.)
Wow, I was just thinking about that yesterday. Given that my chip inlays have not yet been removed and I recently received the labels. About how long do I have before shrinkage sets in?

Wifey

GEAR LABELS
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Wow, I was just thinking about that yesterday. Given that my chip inlays have not yet been removed and I recently received the labels. About how long do I have before shrinkage sets in?
The short answer is: We don't know.

The longer non answer is: It depends.
Size of label (RHC vs. SCV), laminate type, if any, play roles.
It also depends on your personal perception of what is tolerable or not.

We are big proponents of the scientific methods of testing, and we have not done any of that to come up with any hard data.
(I swear no pun intended! Well OK I saw the pun after and didn't change it...)

Our loose un-proven recommendations would be:
Laminated labels, we wouldn't leave it longer than a month or so.
Unlaminated...get those applied ASAP.

Of course your mileage may vary...I am sure there are a plethora of people on both sides of this fence willing to prove us right or wrong.

Wifey

GEAR LABELS
Site Vendor
Reaction score
FWIW, I just applied laminated labels to chips last week that were at least four years old and I didn't notice any size/shrinkage issues.
Good to know!
We have seen it most with unlaminated...but have not been able to rule out laminated so best to warn for all.

For "Hard Data" sake...What size (SCV or RHC) and what laminate type?

bentax1978

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Good to know!
We have seen it most with unlaminated...but have not been able to rule out laminated so best to warn for all.

For "Hard Data" sake...What size (SCV or RHC) and what laminate type?

SCV, textured lamination

surfik

Full House
Reaction score
I visited to see Costanza...
I was not disappointed....

Top Bottom