Kobe Bryant Helicopter Crash (2 Viewers)

If you look at the publications, writings, player/coach op eds before this event, Kobe and Jordan’s stature and importance to the league were very different. While Jordan is and always will be Jordan, the player, the movement, the brand, the original best ever to play the game, he simply didn’t carry with him a connection to the league like Kobe has.

I don't know Jeff if you're old enough to remember the early to mid 80's NBA, but it wasn't nearly as popular as it became in the late 80's and through the 90's. This isn't solely attributed to Michael Jordan, but much of it is. Kobe and Lebron are direct beneficiaries and de facto descendents of the Michael Jordan era.

Bryant's legacy may have eventually surpassed that of Jordan in terms of ambassadorship, we'll never know. And maybe I am simply biased or uninformed. But I think Jordan's legacy to this day exceeds that of Kobe.

Last edited:
I don't know Jeff if you're old enough to remember the early to mid 80's NBA, but it wasn't nearly as popular as it became in the late 80's and through the 90's. This isn't solely attributed to Michael Jordan, but much of it is. Kobe and Lebron are direct beneficiaries and de facto descendents of the Michael Jordan era.

Bryant's legacy may have eventually surpassed that of Jordan in terms of ambassadorship, we'll never know. Any maybe I am simply biased or uninformed. But I think Jordan's legacy to this day exceeds that of Kobe.

My opinion as well- and I would also say that I think if social media was what it is today back then Jordan would have been connected to the league as much if not more. If the NBA where to ever contemplate (and who knows maybe they have) changing it’s logo and somehow jordan/Nike where on board with using the jump man as the logo for the NBA it would be a solid no brainer. The jump man is one of the most recognizable images on the planet, that’s worth an insane amount just for that fact not to mention what Jordan did for the game and everybody that plays it/watches it today. IMHO only of course.

Bryant's legacy may have eventually surpassed that of Jordan in terms of ambassadorship, we'll never know. Any maybe I am simply biased or uninformed. But I think Jordan's legacy to this day exceeds that of Kobe.
Agreed. That’s what I’m saying though, you can never outdo the first, it just provides an immeasurable weight. For me that just doesn’t do it though, I need more than the happenstance that you came first.

I guess for me a good example is Shaq/Dwight Howard. Here comes the next you, this kid. Looking for praise, direction, guidance, anything. And Shaq just shit on him at the time. It wasn’t Shaqs job to help him out, and he made damn sure Howard knew that. Given Howards history to that point, temperament, etc., I think that if that relationship had been wildly different, Howard’s career arc would’ve been too.

Maybe it is generational. Jordan’s a historical figure for me, something to be in awe of, something to watch speechless. Every Father’s Day he’s celebrated in this home with a new pair of matching Js for dad and son. He can make his millions now sitting back and basketball wise own and with with a team mired in mediocrity.

Kobe took a year or two to win however many awards, get the book out, get the camps up, whatever else. Before his passing, when the greats were on record, they admitted being intimidated by Jordan, being in awe of him while playing, and he was a bad dude. But Kobe? To a younger guy (me), it just always sounded like they had a different type of respect for him. His tenacity, his study of the game, his relentless pursuit of relationships and communications of those that came before him to get any little edge.

I’m glad we got to watch them both perform at something they were obviously meant to perform at. I’m just not naming any man of the year, lifetime achievements, etc. after Jordan. He can have the “player only” titles. (Finals mvp trophy and the like).

I dig and respect the opinions. Hope we watch a game together while playing cards one day.

If the NBA where to ever contemplate (and who knows maybe they have) changing it’s logo...

No way that ever happens. For one, Nike owns the Jumpman trademark. That in and of itself is a massive barrier to entry. But beyond that, Jerry West is a perfect conduit to the game's history. To remove him in favor of a modern icon would be to further archive the legacy of the game's evolution.

No way that ever happens. For one, Nike owns the Jumpman trademark. That in and of itself is a massive barrier to entry. But beyond that, Jerry West is a perfect conduit to the game's history. To remove him in favor of a modern icon would be to further archive the legacy of the game's evolution.

Oh I definitely agree with that, that’s why I said no one is talking about changing the logo (meaning nobody in the NBA offices are having that discussion) and that the “they” who is talking about changing the logo to Kobe is just Twitter/insta/internet people. Also why I said “if somehow Nike/Jordan was on board” meaning they already own one of the most valuable brands/logos on the planet and just farming it out isn’t going to happen unless they were somehow paid billions with residuals for life in the billions.

It’s just internet chatter and I don’t take it seriously, the nba logo is not changing for Kobe and will probably never change much no matter what.

But, to me, and if we’re just talking hyperbole (like I believe every conversation about changing the logo has been) then I would say the jump man would be the logo of “basketball” way before anything else, no matter how great Kobe was for the game. Which I agree is monumental by the way. Hoops speaking only, I love what the guy did for the game, I was in awe when I watched him, and I definitely shed a tear or two watching his last game.

RIP one of the greats and an icon to sports/pop culture.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom