Kidney shaped table plans (2 Viewers)

tkang

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Still havent gotten around to building my table yet but I will have free time soon. Finally decided on a "kidney" shaped table with a dealer spot as there will ALWAYS be a permanent dealer. No one I play with likes to deal and they dont mind tipping to not have to do it lol. Only problem, I cannot find plans for this type of table as everyone wants you to buy them and no one wants to show how to make it. I can see how to make a raised rail, but not sure about specifics how to attach diffuser and round out the spots next to the dealer in the rail. Anyone with insight that can help would be appreciated. Even if you dont want to post it and just inbox me some specifics, that would be great. Going to more than likely order the diffuser from TChan but not sure how to attach. No racetrack.

This is the section I am having a hard time visualizing to build

I would start with an oval drawn 1:1 scale on a big piece of paper or a couple pieces and then warp that into a kidney shape the size of the inner rail.
I would then use spray adhesive to attache that pattern to a sheet of high density fiberboard and make a router template that I would use to cut out the rail and table pieces. You can then hand shape the template to your liking.

I would make something similar to a butt scriber for my router to make the larger, outside cuts using the first template.

Butt Scriber

For the end of the rail sections, make one template to do one end and then turn it over to get a symetrical shape on the other end.

this is the best i can do.

I am having a play in illustrator to see what i can doView attachment 276658
Nice work.
Just eyeballing it, I think I would increase the radius of the bends that comprise the dealer cutout - making the cutout less deep, maybe even flatten it completely. The elimination of the rail at the dealer position should give enough extra depth to the dealer while allowing the players to see their opponents.
Just my 2 cents

I believe I got this pic from @T_Chan ages ago. Maybe he can shed some light on how to approach this project.

Those are my plans indeed, I used to give those out but now have them for sale.

No worries, those are old drawings and are just part of a package when plans are sold which include build instructions as well.

No worries, those are old drawings and are just part of a package when plans are sold which include build instructions as well.
@T_Chan, I am about to start a build and would love to know what plans and build instructions you have up for offer. I didn’t find them on your site. How do I get you to take money?

So the hardest part about a kidney table like that is the really large radius cut for the outside curve. Obviously that's easy to do if you have a CNC set up, but without a CNC, you are looking at building a 5-6' circle jig for your router and then trying to properly secure. I recall seeing a picture of someone who did this and they basically had to temporarily attach another sheet of plywood to the one they were cutting just to get a mount point for the circle jig.

Definitely doable, but also pretty wild :)

I ended up doing 96×48 and a flat cutout for the dealer. The parts I had a hard time with was the ends on to fold the vinyl by the dealer. All in all, pretty pleased. Took about 2 weeks

Attachments

• 20190503_181144.jpg
    20190503_181144.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 457
  • 20190503_161324.jpg
    20190503_161324.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 460
Just to put into perspective how blind I was going into this.... I do not have a router, nor have any idea what a "jig" is. So I just winged it and freehanded everything. I figure almost every cut is covered so it didnt have to be perfect. Like studs behind a wall, as long as the drywall looks good, no one knows how straight the wood underneath is lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom