Key West: New $20 chip for 2016? (1 Viewer)

Which green $20 do you prefer

• A: Light green with light chocolate spots

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • B: Light green with dark green spots

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • C: Light green with dark green spots

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • D. Dayglow Saturn with Green Spots

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • E. Canary with Green spots

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • F. Dayglow Saturn with light chocolate spots

• G. No new $20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • H. Canary with light chocolate

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I. Day Glow Saturn with Day Glow Tiger

• Total voters

dennis63

Flush
Site Vendor
Supporter
Reaction score
PCF%20Key%20West%20choices%20Tuesday%20final_zpsp2u6zpig.png

The Key West is considering a new $20 chip in 2016

In January, 2013, we did a limited-edition $20 chip at the request of some members. Working with Michael Dambauch and the old ASM, we made a charcoal gray $20 chip with red 312 spots. Only 80 of these chips were ever produced. Honestly, I thought the color of the charcoal $20, shown below in a photo taken by Mike at ASM, was a bit dark for the Key West theme.

Gray%2020_zpsdfkvwt6t.jpg

So now, I'm thinking about placing that $20 inlay on a new chip -- something more in line with the Key West colors.

Base colors:

I like the idea of making the chip green, but a different green from the $25 chip. Chances are, the $20 and $25 won't be on the same table.

Spot colors:

Light chocolate reminds me of the colors in a coconut palm tree, as does green and dark green.

The Question at hand:

1. Should we do a green $20 chip?
2. Which of the potential designs do you like best?

What to do about the old $20s?

Exchange them, of course. If we create a new light green $20 chip, and you own any charcoal gray and red $20 chips, send them to me and I will send you light green $20s for the cost of the shipping.

Timing?

If we go with a new $20, Classic Poker Chips, I will place the order ASAP. They will likely be produced some time in the first quarter of 2016. I anticipate they will arrive in March.

Last edited:
Love a light green/dark green or light green/retro green chip, but I'd go with a different base color. It's just super confusing to me when I'm looking at a green chip between $5 and $100 and it's not a $25.

Love a light green/dark green or light green/retro green chip, but I'd go with a different base color. It's just super confusing to me when I'm looking at a green chip between $5 and $100 and it's not a $25.

I'm definitely open to ideas for a different base color. A unique base color for the $20 would be great.

I'm definitely open to ideas for a different base color. A unique base color for the $20 would be great.

As much as I like the charcoal chip above, now that you mention it I agree that the spots make it a bit too dark for the Key West theme. How about with DG Pink spots, though?

IorWr1p.png

I'm not in the market for these so take this for what it's worth: I don't like green for a $20 chip in a set that uses standard/traditional colors for the rest of the chips :)

Same here. Not in the market, but don't like a green $20 (esp. with a red $5). Make sure you compare the new options to both the white and blue 1 though. I had a really nice light blue $20 going, until I remembered about the other singles.

I did think of this. Does the yellow spot on the $1 give you any doubts about saturn for the $20 base?
I'm on my phone so I can't easily mock it up but I'd love to see Saturn yellow base with some sort of green spot mocked up. I bet it would look substantially different from the $1. It is a really distinct version of yellow.

I'm on my phone so I can't easily mock it up but I'd love to see Saturn yellow base with some sort of green spot mocked up. I bet it would look substantially different from the $1. It is a really distinct version of yellow.

Saturn with regular green looks good to me as a chip, but I'm not sold on it with the $1.

7vbctXj.png

Given the traditional color scheme throughout, I think the base almost has to be yellow. So saturn or canary, prolly charcoal or pink spot would fit in.
key_west_samples.jpg

The poll and OP photos have been updated to include choices suggested above.

Last edited:
The problem I have with green spots is that it's also on the $100.

Green spots on a yellow $20 won't fit well with the black hundo which has green spots.

Here are a few choices that will meld much better with the existing cash chips:

keywest20-1.png

keywest20-2.png

keywest20-3.png

keywest20-4.png

I like all of these, almost equally.

Saturn/Tiger keep any replication of colors off the table for the whole set. Plus, since Saturn and Tiger are new to the CPC color line-up (since the release of the Key West line) it really feels like something that couldn't be done until now (as opposed to an oversight in such an excellent set).

After remembering that the $100 chip had green spots, this is the exact color combo I had in mind.

Saturn/Tiger keep any replication of colors off the table for the whole set. Plus, since Saturn and Tiger are new to the CPC color line-up (since the release of the Key West line) it really feels like something that couldn't be done until now (as opposed to an oversight in such an excellent set).

DG Saturn and DG tiger seems too bright to me for this set. The Key West colors are pretty low key. For some reason, the bright redish orange of DG tiger just doesn't say "Key West," (or "$20") to me, unless we're talking about one of those bars in Key West where the guys wear dresses.

(The other issue I would have in offering a DG Saturn / DG Tiger chip is that a large number of people would place an order for one chip in order to get samples of CPC's two new colors.

I'm wondering if we could every possibly settle on just one $20 chip...

Last edited:
I wonder if two DG colors that bright wouldn't be too bright. The colors in this set are pretty low key...

I'm wondering if we could every possibly settle on just one $20 chip.
Do you have a full current color sample set? Pull them out and put them next to some existing chips.

DG Saturn and DG tiger seems too bright to me for this set. The Key West colors are pretty low key...

I totally agree.... and that's exactly why I went with regular orange instead of dg tiger in my mock ups. I'm leaning towards the light chocolate spots as a good fit for the subtle Key West colors. DG saturn isn't as bright as some of the other DG colors.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom