Kem cards pixelated jokers (1 Viewer)

Insane666999enasnI

Sitting Out
Reaction score
:tdown:

IMG_4560.JPG

I do belive that pic shows KEM deck that is at least 10 or more years old.
I know that expectations are high but if you take cards tha are old to perform as new one.
Plastic material also deteriorate with age.

I know that expectations are high but if you take cards tha are old to perform as new one.
Unfortunately this is a new deck.

That's a printing/production error, and an easy one to make. The entire deck will be in a layout, and any images in the layout will be lo-res previews, which link to a hi-res file on the network. If the file was accidentally renamed, moved etc. the lo-res version will be printed causing that pixilation. This would have been missed in the pre-print file checks and in the proofing process.

After it was printed, either QC missed it, or they saw it and because they are jokers and still functional they let it go by. Bummer no doubt though.

I never noticed this before, but they recommend keeping the cards in a freezer for storage? And a really cold one at that?

Maybe that's why they bow so easily when left at room temps... they were designed to be used outdoors in Canadian winters.

InShot_20210521_091836847.jpg

That's a printing/production error, and an easy one to make. The entire deck will be in a layout, and any images in the layout will be lo-res previews, which link to a hi-res file on the network. If the file was accidentally renamed, moved etc. the lo-res version will be printed causing that pixilation. This would have been missed in the pre-print file checks and in the proofing process.

After it was printed, either QC missed it, or they saw it and because they are jokers and still functional they let it go by. Bummer no doubt though.
I think you are right, because all cards are fine, just jokers are pixelated.

I never noticed this before, but they recommend keeping the cards in a freezer for storage? And a really cold one at that?

Maybe that's why they bow so easily when left at room temps... they were designed to be used outdoors in Canadian winters.

View attachment 703432
Recommended temperature is -18 to 38 Celsius, so room temperature is fine for them. if you keep them in hot place they will be crack like this.

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 287

And every time you look at the joker, realize a production person likely lost their job over this. That’s a big error.

And every time you look at the joker, realize a production person likely lost their job over this. That’s a big error.
If everyone got fired for every misprint, nobody would be left working in print shops. Something like this would have gotten past several people, not just one person.

If everyone got fired for every misprint, nobody would be left working in print shops. Something like this would have gotten past several people, not just one person.
Yep, but someone is accountable.
A major respected card company, which produces a high-end product for a high-end price, in which detail is paramount.
Add in the fact that the jokers and the face cards are the most important distinguishing feature of playing cards. Basically, the face of the company is the back design and the jokers/face cards.
Thousands upon thousands were likely printed.
A mistake like this isn’t just a “misprint”.

For what is charged every one of the cards in the deck should be top quality including the jokers. Many games where these cards are used include the jokers. I would be disappointed to find such a printing.

Bullshit. Quality original KEMs. Flat as pancakes and as good as the day they were printed.

IMG_20210522_005400.jpg

In 1974....

IMG_20210522_005419.jpg

No joke.

IMG_20210522_005852.jpg

But seriously. Who gives two shits about the jokers?

USPC KEMs suck though.

But seriously. Who gives two shits about the jokers?
Specially if jokers looks like that :LOL: :laugh:
Bu if they look like these then I give a shit.

Attachments

• 512b17724fa245a02a51050f77e429f5.jpg
    512b17724fa245a02a51050f77e429f5.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 199
  • 7162342683_6a9e2c1a5d_o.jpg
    7162342683_6a9e2c1a5d_o.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 301
  • 7354503144_8906b0b46a_o.jpg
    7354503144_8906b0b46a_o.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 334
  • 7354503152_403bba5b28_o.jpg
    7354503152_403bba5b28_o.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 8086004440_d6284c4f74_o.jpg
    8086004440_d6284c4f74_o.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 212
  • nieuw_2.jpg
    nieuw_2.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 233
Yep, but someone is accountable.
A major respected card company, which produces a high-end product for a high-end price, in which detail is paramount.
Add in the fact that the jokers and the face cards are the most important distinguishing feature of playing cards. Basically, the face of the company is the back design and the jokers/face cards.
Thousands upon thousands were likely printed.
A mistake like this isn’t just a “misprint”.
For sure, it’s a mistake. Ultimately someone reviewed and signed off on the print proof. The fact that they ended up in people’s hands is what leads me to believe nobody really gave a shit about this. The deck isn’t defective or unusable and the fix is simple.

It’s pretty standard practice for KEM and other card makers to replace defective cards for free after the fact. I’m sure the decision was made that instead of a reprint, repackage etc. (expensive, time consuming) they ran an extra quantity of jokers and will happily pop some in the mail for anyone who is upset about it. I’m guessing that number is low though.

In the end, there were probably very many boring and time consuming meetings and they likely made a few less pennies per deck on this run in the end.

Hi Guys, today I also just received one deck of BLUE KEM ARROW BLUE POKER SIZE SUPER/JUMBO INDEX (0921) and they also came with 2 pixelated jokers. From all the deck of cards I ordered, this one is the only deck with this mistake.

I'm curious to know what action other members have taken upon noticing this misprint. On one hand this deck now feels 'special', on the other hand I prefer it to be the same level of quality throughout — same as the other deck from various of brands I now own.

Attachments

• 2022.01.18_Kems_Arrow_Jokers.JPEG
    2022.01.18_Kems_Arrow_Jokers.JPEG
    189.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 2022.01.18_Kems_Arrow_Joker_Close_Up.jpeg
    2022.01.18_Kems_Arrow_Joker_Close_Up.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Not sure why anyone cares about the jokers being pixelated. Especially if the main deck is not.

Seems more of an interesting observation.

In that picture, everything is pixelated o_O

Yeah I think take it as a unique personality trait. They might be worth Bitcoin prices in the future!

Just crossed this thread and realised the order of Kem's I received have the same pixelated Joker. I just shrugged it off as being a quirk of the card makers when i got them. The cards still play like butter so I wasn't complaining. :LOL: :laugh:

I thought all KEMS had those pixelated jokers. And who cares?

i wish i didnt stumble on this thread, the normal ones are so nice! Jks i only ever see them when opening the box. i leave em on top and bottom of the deck.

Looks like this has not been fixed yet. Left is a set I just opened. Right is from ~2013 and now that I look closer, the older images look pixelated as well, just not nearly as badly.
kem_jokers.jpeg

This is interesting to me as the one set up of KEM's I picked up to try out before deciding they're not for me also had pixelated jokers. I laughed that they were using such an old design. Glad to know that's not their normal joker graphic. lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom