Keeping Kems Flat (1 Viewer)

Old State

Full House
Reaction score
I thought I would share/endorse a very simple tip I found somewhere in a post online a while back.

I have played with plastic cards for 18 years and began with a set of Kem Arrows. Those first cards were great but every set of Kems I bought after (pre and post 2004) all bowed on me. So I gave them up and searched for an equivalent. Well after buying a sample of almost every manufacturer that makes plastic cards, i've never found the manufacture I can replicate the feel of Kems. Well, after a 10 year boycott I decided to try a set after I came across a simple tip:

Simply store the cards upside down in the box with a cut cards and dealer button (never use those anyway) on top. This is a perfect thickness that really squeezes the cards. After several months I'm happy to report they have remained perfectly flat!

You shouldn't have to do that, but if you really enjoy the feel of Kems, this seems to work.

The KEM Arrow double deck setups that I purchased this year came in two different types of plastic boxes. One made of very thin plastic where the lid very loosely shut, and another of a significantly more sturdy plastic material that had a tight closing lid which has some kind of slight recess into the box. The cards stored in the latter type always get pressed flat and will stay like that for a while after taking them out of the box. Once they start bending, putting them back into the box for a day got them flat again. Not really any effort required there, but annoying nonetheless.

Eventually I think they all bow. Some just take longer.
My original circa 2000 Arrows never bowed after significant play. I retired them due to wear. Every other set bowed. One, from around 2001 with an extreme warp. All others lesser.

My Gemaco Superflex developed a bow as did my Cartamundi Acetates and Dal Negro Acetates. I think I spotted a trend.

Flat KEMs you say?

giphy.gif

You can store them upside down under a pallet of bricks and it wouldn't make a difference in Florida.

Flat KEMs you say?

giphy.gif

You can store them upside down under a pallet of bricks and it wouldn't make a difference in Florida.

After literally trying every card made except for Piatnik I have come to the conclusion that Acetate may feel the best but will warp 99% of the time. My Cartamundi Acetates started to do this and I did the same procedure above and was able to almost reverse it. I've never been able to unwarp Kems....so the key may be to never let them warp...which so far, in my conditions seem to be working.

For the record, I love Desjgn cards and if they would produce more bridge sized cards with regular index, it's all I would ever buy again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom