Just curious what people's opinions were ........ (1 Viewer)

Like the 25 and up; hate the three lower denoms, (mirroring how I feel about the NPS).

Don't like the label at all -- the crown seems too large, and the convex print does not loo clear or distinct.

Now if you could build a set using the colors and spots of the Paulson TH&C set's low denominations, and the NPS upper denoms, IMO that would be terrific.
This is a really great idea!!

I agree with Ben's comment about the two tri-moon chips. Maybe lighter blue (or white) spots instead of darker blue on the "1" chip?

I like the NPS look too. Agree with some of the color tweaks though I hesitate to get too worked up on colors over a pic on the net.
I don't love the A mold inlay; that would be a turn off to me. I love the 2 options or your Rounder chips, but if a new inlay is a possibility for these chips crowns would compliment the theme perfectly and could be made pretty simply. Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 6.46.53 PM.png

I like the NPS look too. Agree with some of the color tweaks though I hesitate to get too worked up on colors over a pic on the net.
I don't love the A mold inlay; that would be a turn off to me. I love the 2 options or your Rounder chips, but if a new inlay is a possibility for these chips crowns would compliment the theme perfectly and could be made pretty simply.View attachment 117108

The crowns used were (deliberately) an emperor's crown and an imperial crown :)

Maybe nothing original, but I like the chip colors on the 2nd set. I lay does nothing for me, though.

Like the 25 and up; hate the three lower denoms, (mirroring how I feel about the NPS).

Don't like the label at all -- the crown seems too large, and the convex print does not loo clear or distinct.

Now if you could build a set using the colors and spots of the Paulson TH&C set's low denominations, and the NPS upper denoms, IMO that would be terrific.

Problem is the chips all cost $2+ to produce then and that prices them out of the market that stock sets are designed for.

And that makes perfect sense - but remember, some people think McDonald's is great until they have a 5 Guys burger (not to mention they GLADLY pay more at 5 Guys).

I'd spend some time looking at all the classic chips that were produced that people love (I think there is a thread or 10 like that on here), identify the common theme(s), and hand it over to a designer to see what they come up with.

I also get the $20k vs $200 investment, but if I was in your shoes, I'd make 5 to 10 sets of the "winning" design (and I'd only sell as fixed sets to start - people buying as a gift would appreciate that - would even have the reasoning behind the breakdown in the listing) and would sell them at whatever the final price would be - even though I'd "lose" money on them, the market information would be worth way more.

If they sell in a timely fashion - awesome! If not, back to the lab again.

The problem is that once you sell cheap in order to move them, word spreads quickly and everyone expects a deal. That is a great way to piss off your existing customers. Only really works when you have a large quantity of something that came cheap. Even 5 to 10 sets could cost us $10k to produce. Most people here probably don't realise that margins are between zero for a 300 chip order (that's why we have a minimum) and 10% for 2000 chip one (assuming there are no screw ups). Therefore every 'investment' has to be much more carefully thought through than you may think.

I actually really like them fwiw. Only comment would be what Ben said about the non-denom chip...needs to be something other than gray - yellow maybe? And I would NEED a $.25 chip. That would be a deal breaker for me if the line doesn't have a frac.

The problem is that I doubt anyone here is the 'target market'. Might have been better had I started by saying 'Ask your neighbour their opinion' :)
If a set was created that was all (or mostly at least) Level 1 then that does make it easier. Even opens it up to other molds. The reason I'd stayed on Amold for now was purely that the mold is installed all the time, so if something was short it could probably be made very quickly. The less often a mold is installed, the higher the volume of stock would have to be held for it to work. Then the risk increases.
Interesting (maybe) fact here - a number of people say the Atlantic inlaid are bland. We've sold 10 times as many of those than the hotstamped since they became stock items!

I actually really like them fwiw. Only comment would be what Ben said about the non-denom chip...needs to be something other than gray - yellow maybe? And I would NEED a $.25 chip. That would be a deal breaker for me if the line doesn't have a frac.

Paulson managed to sell near 2 million of them without any fracs :)

I'm a bit biased because I picked up a bunch of the error Imperials, but they look great in photos and I'll definitely want to add to my set if they become generally available.

Another thing is that unfortunately the nature of the beast means you can't have unfinished parts sitting on the shelf for ages. Otherwise you could have stock of a dozen colors/spot patterns and choice of inlay designs that could be mixed and matched and finished in a week or two.
Of course the target market needs them yesterday, not even in a week or two. :)

I need to follow this. I get that this is playing off what's been done before, but I think I fall in the category of 'general consumer' and they interest me.
I'm with this guy. Ever since I followed @Hobbyphilic on YouTube I fell in love with the World Top Hat and Cane set.

Honestly, if you did make a stock set that was as appealing as WTHC, I'm sure this guy could review it and you'd get people purchasing based on just his good review!

My first real chip set came from watching his videos and then eventually buying Milanos. Led me to you guys and the wonderful world of Paulsons eventually!

It would have been 10 million if they had fracs. :D

I'm too poor to NOT use fracs. You might have something to do with that. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
I agree with you! I think more people than you know love fracs.

I know a quarter is a standard in my playbook with every set and many sets also have dimes and nickels. It's appealing to me and to others, not just on the principles of having a wide variety of stakes but also because it "feels" more complete and what we are transactionally used to.

Honestly, if you did make a stock set that was as appealing as WTHC, I'm sure this guy could review it and you'd get people purchasing based on just his good review!

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Atlantic Club colours and spots are loosely based on WTHC. The Atlantic Club $1 and $100 look really awesome.

I'm a bit biased because I picked up a bunch of the error Imperials, but they look great in photos and I'll definitely want to add to my set if they become generally available.
I need to follow this. I get that this is playing off what's been done before, but I think I fall in the category of 'general consumer' and they interest me.

What do you like or not like about them as they are?

I agree with you! I think more people than you know love fracs.

I know a quarter is a standard in my playbook with every set and many sets also have dimes and nickels. It's appealing to me and to others, not just on the principles of having a wide variety of stakes but also because it "feels" more complete and what we are transactionally used to.

Maybe no one asks for them because they are not in any stock sets?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Atlantic Club colours and spots are loosely based on WTHC. The Atlantic Club $1 and $100 look really awesome.

They were loosely based on them while keeping the average spot level reasonable.

Maybe no one asks for them because they are not in any stock sets?
That's a possibility. Maybe customers don't think it's an option. I know it sounds silly to us who could ask for a $13 chip or .42 cent frac if we wanted. But the average customer might think in integers or not realize that their table games at home might be more welcoming if they started their stakes at 25 cents.

I'll give you an example.

When I met up with a craigslist person to get my InPlay tournament set, the guy selling it to me mentioned that he had a cash set of $1s, $2s, and $5s.

I said, "I usually play quarter-quarter or quarter-50 cent blinds" and he said, "that's neat, I never thought to do that".

Maybe he was a weirdo and doesn't represent the norm but there's one example :)

If I ran across these at Costco I'd snap buy all day long. I think they look fine. Could they be better? Sure. If these can be priced and marketed right, I think they are a winner.

If folk wanted fracs, it'd be a good GB for the forum - make the fracs up separately.

Here's an example of what I might offer if I was in @David Spragg 's shoes. I kept the bases as weighted colors because I assume that's what he would want to do.

full

(1) hostamped solid frac is optional but cool, could do as GB / separate runs as suggested
(2) 1-25 are level one, 100-1000 level two to keep your costs down
(3) slap on a professional but generic enough inlay, could even do some kind of color matching as it won't increase your costs
(4) ...
(5) profit

(y) :thumbsup:

Edit: Noticed I was lazy and duplicated Blurble, not a hard fix if don't like that.
Edit2: Possible 5k and 25k as 44mm chips via GB / separate run...

Last edited:
Here's an example of what I might offer if I was in @David Spragg 's shoes. I kept the bases as weighted colors because I assume that's what he would want to do.

full

(1) hostamped solid frac is optional but cool, could do as GB / separate runs as suggested
(2) 1-25 are level one, 100-1000 level two to keep your costs down
(3) slap on a professional but generic enough inlay, could even do some kind of color matching as it won't increase your costs
(4) ...
(5) profit

(y) :thumbsup:

Edit: Noticed I was lazy and duplicated Blurble, not a hard fix if don't like that.
Edit2: Possible 5k and 25k as 44mm chips via GB / separate run...

Let's bring another question in then.
What is a reasonable price to expect to pay for a typical 500 chip set of the above, off the shelf, shipping and fees included?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom