Just another board gamer (2 Viewers)

jack208

High Hand
Reaction score
I'm from the board game world and obviously me stumbling into this forum is due to the use of poker chips in our 18xx games (and not so much board games as for those, we prefer to use either the Iron Clays or its own Metal Coins upgrade).

I started with the NexGen Pro and have since bought close to 1000 pcs of the Apache Bank chips so that I've enough sets to rotate among the game sessions that we host. As board gamers, our appeal re poker chips lies more in its functionality and value (vis price point) rather than its exclusivity and feel/texture/etc (as it's impossible to justify $10+ for those top-end chips when our games cost like $50-75 on average each).

But this forum has been an eye opener for me in terms of educating on the various types of chips, not to mention the huge community that rallies around them.

While I'm but a dust in this Poker Chips world, I can at least say I've an active role in the Board Game world. haha. My personal board game collection totals over 3,000 titles and that makes me a Herculean Board Game Collector in Boardgamegeek (a similar community site not unlike this but for board games).

You can view the board games in my list here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/jack208

I also run a boardgame business over here in Malaysia, and we host an active meetup community where folks gather at our place weekly to place board games. Not sure if I'm allowed to share more of our biz activities and info here; if yes, I'll do so later. If not, I'll stop at here but if any of you are in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), give me a ping if you want to play some board games. :)

This is how poker chips are used in our (18xx) games. Sparsely... haha.

IMG_20230102_114417.jpg

Welcome! I started as a board gamer too and still love them, though I'm an amateur at spending money on both board games and poker chips. I recently had a friend who was very impressed by my 75-100 game collection and I told him "buddy, this is nothing, you have no idea what a real board game collection looks like"

I'm from the board game world and obviously me stumbling into this forum is due to the use of poker chips in our 18xx games (and not so much board games as for those, we prefer to use either the Iron Clays or its own Metal Coins upgrade).

I started with the NexGen Pro and have since bought close to 1000 pcs of the Apache Bank chips so that I've enough sets to rotate among the game sessions that we host. As board gamers, our appeal re poker chips lies more in its functionality and value (vis price point) rather than its exclusivity and feel/texture/etc (as it's impossible to justify $10+ for those top-end chips when our games cost like $50-75 on average each).

But this forum has been an eye opener for me in terms of educating on the various types of chips, not to mention the huge community that rallies around them.

While I'm but a dust in this Poker Chips world, I can at least say I've an active role in the Board Game world. haha. My personal board game collection totals over 3,000 titles and that makes me a Herculean Board Game Collector in Boardgamegeek (a similar community site not unlike this but for board games).

You can view the board games in my list here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/jack208

I also run a boardgame business over here in Malaysia, and we host an active meetup community where folks gather at our place weekly to place board games. Not sure if I'm allowed to share more of our biz activities and info here; if yes, I'll do so later. If not, I'll stop at here but if any of you are in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), give me a ping if you want to play some board games. :)

This is how poker chips are used in our (18xx) games. Sparsely... haha.

View attachment 1062503
Hey Jack, Small world. I too am a BBgeek... love solo war games. Poker is my goto social game. I have spent all my time for the last 5 months here on PCF. I should check back in to BGG, but my wallet can't take both. :wtf:

My brother from another mother! I got involved again in chips because of the Bank chips after my disappointment in the iron clays.

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/brown02134

Yeah, Josh Apache did a great job on the bank chips - just what the Boardgamer Doc ordered for us! While the casual boardgamers rave about the Iron Clays, I was not much a fan. The NexGen and the Bank Chips remain my goto chips for boardgamers.

Good to see more boardgamers here!

Also started as a board gamer really! Recently played a game of Iberian Gauge with chips and it was such a good experience.

@jack208 you have 2! copies of Glory to Rome? Need any Tigers?

ah.. good to see a GLORY TO ROME fan! According to my pic, I should have two copies of the Black Box, the 2nd copy still in seal. Are you looking for the Black Box? The others are just different language vers of the game incl the classic and super rare All Colors Cambridge ver.

BGC23_Glory to Rome (grp pics).jpg

Always have an eye out for Glory to Rome. Also use the NexGen, relabeling them is on my project list, including a bunch of the yellow 100000 I plan to use for $20s

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom