jpietrella: My hand-cleaning journey (1 Viewer)

Genuinely curious here, no reflect on the OP, but why do some people talk about lead content and handling and being careful, etc...., yet we scrub these things with harsh chemicals and brushes, and then we treat that water like it’s ordinary waste? I think it’s more possible to leach out some of the lead salts with the wash treatment than just ordinary handling. Should we be more careful with that waste?

Genuinely curious here, no reflect on the OP, but why do some people talk about lead content and handling and being careful, etc...., yet we scrub these things with harsh chemicals and brushes, and then we treat that water like it’s ordinary waste? I think it’s more possible to leach out some of the lead salts with the wash treatment than just ordinary handling. Should we be more careful with that waste?
Seriously, not a road you want to go down. It ends in EPA fines. Just clean the chips and dump the water. Once its diluted with millions of gallons of sewage it wont matter.

Seriously, not a road you want to go down. It ends in EPA fines. Just clean the chips and dump the water. Once its diluted with millions of gallons of sewage it wont matter.
Dilution is not The Solution.
A career in the oil and chemical industry drives that into your head.

Dilution is not The Solution.
A career in the oil and chemical industry drives that into your head.
Well, feel free to store yours and then pay to have it transported and disposed of as hazardous waste. :LOL: :laugh:

What is the appropriate way to dispose of the solution after cleaning?

Put it in a container and take it to a disposal site? Locally, there are municipal locations in my city that encourage people to bring in chemicals for disposal for free. Otherwise people will just pour stuff down the drain.

Because you know, most people have the attitude of 'f*ck it, I'm not paying for it. Out of sight, out of mind... not my f*cking problem'.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty certain the US wears the chip material down. At least all of the threads that I've read through suggest this, which is why you're not supposed to leave them in for too long.

I do notice that chips that have been cleaned by the ultrasonic seems to be more "porous" for lack of a better word.

I haven't noticed it on my chips but others have reported the fading of colors for chips cleaned with an ultrasonic for too long or multiple times.
I have only noticed the porosity in attempts to clean Burt/ASM/CPC... never with Paulson/TRK (scrown). I have encountered more fading with hot water and oxyclean than I have with the ultrasonic.

I have a bunch of RT plastics to clean, the ones I have cleaned in the ultrasonic so far have faded, especially the reds and then the greens. I like the ultrasonic and would like to continue using it for the rest of this set. I'm doing the "standard" settings of 40c temp, 1-2 minutes. I will try to oil the faded ones first, but if that doesn't work, is it better to lower the temperature, decrease the time, or change detergent. I'm using Lundmark fake tsp. Thanks

I have a bunch of RT plastics to clean, the ones I have cleaned in the ultrasonic so far have faded, especially the reds and then the greens. I like the ultrasonic and would like to continue using it for the rest of this set. I'm doing the "standard" settings of 40c temp, 1-2 minutes. I will try to oil the faded ones first, but if that doesn't work, is it better to lower the temperature, decrease the time, or change detergent. I'm using Lundmark fake tsp. Thanks
I think start with lowering the time and also change the tsp. There are a few threads if you do a quick search with ingredients folks have had the most success with.

This was asked in a different thread but it wasn't addressed so I thought I'd ask it here - are there any special considerations needed for cleaning chips that have Gear's labels?

This was asked in a different thread but it wasn't addressed so I thought I'd ask it here - are there any special considerations needed for cleaning chips that have Gear's labels?

As long as the labels have been adequately cured, there are probably no extra precautions required for laminated labels. For unlaminated, you're on your own.

I don't know for sure and might be a good question for @Gear (the info may be in one of his FAQs), but I might steer clear of soaking for non-laminated labels.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom