So after cleaning up on Sunday and logging into work on Monday, I find out I have to immediately pack my shit and get in the car for a 6 hour drive to Virginia to help out with a series of workshops this week. Soooooo I apologize for the delayed response/recap, I wanted to chime in with a bunch of thanks but I've been working on remaining conscious, upright and functional...... lol
Anyways, another big thank you to all who came out to the meetup last weekend! It was really great to see the comments that folks felt welcomed and comfortable, that's what I really try to focus on as I know it can be uneasy and even intimidating to travel to a total stranger's house for a weekend of poker (and sometimes even more intimidating trying to explain it to your spouse
) When you boil away all the non-sense and arguing about our petty first world problems and get down to playing cards with fellow chip nerds, you learn just how cool this little community of hobbyists can be
This year's meetup started with a couple of hours of the new "in" thing on Thursday & Friday - horse racing courtesy of @JMC9389
! This would help to define the host's luck with cards most of the weekend......
Also had a bang up time at Top Golf on Thursday evening, getting tips from our pros @Geremie
and trying to figure out why a "hole in one" got less points than a worm burner that clipped a green....
And there were several rounds of cornhole tossed
But hey, this is a chipping event, right? So let's get down to the chips. We got an even dozen chip sets in play in 3 days this year, including 9 guest sets - and nearly all of them were different from last year!
's Bellagio replicas to kick off horseracing
's Lakeshores (a dream come true getting to felt these!)
Skittles Mixed Casino Limit
's incredible custom Chessie's Coves
's 21st Century
's brandy new Indiana Grand Tourney Set
's sexy Riffle Steins
's Gloria's - fruity goodness felted for the first time!
The Barrel House Tourney
's Puck Hobsons
Lots of great chips to almost
match the quality of folks who attended. I got the chance to meet a couple of "old friends" for the first time this year....
- third time's a charm, I hope it was worth the wait and the long trip down from the great white north
And thank you for showing us yanks that Canadians drink much
better beer than Molson and Labatt's.....
- it was so cool to finally get to meet you in person after all our hundreds of PMs on various chip pursuits over the years. And thank you for lugging all the sets, goodies and small fortune worth of Treehouse down the coast, you must have been getting like 10 miles/gallon with everything you had loaded
we've been trying for a while to toss some cards together, it was great to finally connect and chat a bit (and thank you again for the bourbon!)
And also got the chance to meet a bunch of awesome new chippering folks!
was a trooper, first time meetup attendee who came all 3 days, it was a pleasure getting to know you Cliff!
- good luck (and have fun!) designing those customs, I hope you got lots of great insight and feedback from the customs veterans
thank you for bringing the Binions & Riffle Steins Justin, I was crazy bummed that I didn't sneak over to the NLHE table on Friday for a bit when those Riffles were in play, hopefully they make a return trip one day
- so glad you made the trip down from "almost Canada" to join us the whole weekend Jim. One of the highlights of the weekend for me was getting the chance to hang out on the back deck after the tourney with a cigar and shoot the shit with you and Nelson, good times.
And then of course it's always nice to catch up with old friends!
The PA contingency @Klobberer
- thank you again for bringing that JD10 (and all the other bourbon) Brian, and Joe good to see you again it's been way too long, congrats on the high hand for the weekend!
we didn't get the chance to chat as much out back this year, but fortunately enough got plenty of felt time without me loosing my shirt to young bull lol (and speaking of shirts yes they all fit - thank you). Looking forward to seeing that customs idea come to fruition
- great to have you guys both back again this year, pleasure pitching some cards on the cash table with you guys Saturday afternoon.
- good to see last year's champ back and thank you again for the awesome gift, as a fellow woodworker I really admire the craftsmanship on the piece
You're "local" enough to hit us up for a tourney or two during the year, don't be a stranger
- Rick it had been too long, I was pumped to hear you were making the trip up - and then was even more excited when I heard the Chessie's would be tagging along. Thank you so much for lugging them up here, it's a fantastically well done set top to bottom, and I'm now 100% convinced that when I get my "dream" custom cash set, they'll be on the large crown mold. Enjoyed all the table time as well as the 4am chatting on Saturday night with you and Ben.
- meh, I guess it was ok to see you guys................
Always honored to have you two fit me into your annual meetup trek, and thank you for bringing up both the TRKs and minty Indiana Grands. Congrats on an incredible new tourney set, it was a golden ticket well spent. And I'm thinking I'll need to add a late Friday night TURBO tourney to the meetup schedule every year! Good luck out in Vegas this week!
And of course to my local PCF crew @JMC9389 @Phish1321 @sgago84 @Nuhockey @randy2310 @juankay20 @CantSpellPoker @LordEpyon @theewpice
thank you all so much for everything, there's way too much for me to name all the things you guys helped out with, and picked up and bought this weekend, you guys rock and I'm incredibly lucky to have such a great group of poker buddies. Special nod to my man @Phish1321
for practically living at my house all weekend and helping to set up and cook every
day and be the first welcome the early birds each morning, you really helped set that cool "welcome" vibe from day one.