J9s in the BB - this is WAR (1 Viewer)

Yes, Crafty has that play in his book. But Hero's reputation will help counter that. Hero "doesn't bluff" . . . . or at so it is said.

DrStrange

Well then I guess I check and... do something. Time for a live read. :eek:

Yeah was trying to type something up, but this about sums it up.

However, it depends on how deep the "Hero doesn't bluff" belief runs with Crafty. If deep, we can pretty much bet him off his entire range here imo. One of the good lessons I did learn from Bart Hanson's training was when we should turn our hands that are good a majority of the time into bluffs in order to fold out that portion of a villain's range that could beat us but would fold to a properly-sized bet.

Here, I think we have the best hand a majority of the time. He could have binked a king (I had him on two overcards, so he certainly has some kings in his range imo). But I don't think he hit spades as I said earlier.

I think you bet, but your sizing should be dictated by his river stickiness. It goes back to the above question of how deeply he believes you don't bluff. You could get away with betting as little as $60 and getting him to fold a king. You could have to bet as much as $100. With this information, I would bet $90 and expect him to fold all his kings, to flat with most flushes, and to raise with the nuts, second nuts, and maybe third nuts. Obviously we are folding to his raise.

Hero's read on the flop & turn was Crafty wasn't too happy about calling those bets. I wouldn't bet the farm on the read - just a table impression.

DrStrange

*** Finish line ***

Hero counts out $60 in chips, eyes Crafty, then pulls four chips off the pile and bets $40. This was intended to accomplish two things - blocking and value. Hero hoped Crafty would call with pocket eights or a seven in his hand and likely wouldn't raise even with top pair fearing Hero might have a flush or set.

I came to like the check-raise plan the next day, but didn't consider it at the table.

Villain squirms for ~20 seconds and asks if Hero wanted a call. Hero smiles sweetly. Crafty mucks.

Hero rakes in the pot then starts making a lot of two-dollar piles of his one dollar chips, enough to kind of get in the way. Someone asks what is that about? Hero replies that Crafty gets my blind $2 at a time all night long, Hero gets Crafty's chips $100 at a time a couple of times a night - spreading out $2 piles helps us figure out who came out ahead.

Crafty did end up as the big winner, but Hero got a nice chunk of his hide along the way.

DrStrange

I came to like the check-raise plan the next day, but didn't consider it at the table.

Don't beat yourself up about it. It's a LOT easier to calculate and figure things with hours to do so online, than it is when the pressure is on and it's happening to you right at the table

Hero rakes in the pot then starts making a lot of two-dollar piles of his one dollar chips, enough to kind of get in the way. Someone asks what is that about? Hero replies that Crafty gets my blind $2 at a time all night long, Hero gets Crafty's chips $100 at a time a couple of times a night - spreading out $2 piles helps us figure out who came out ahead.

DrStrange

That doesn't seem like a very heroic thing to do...

Hero and Crafty have a long history of needling each other. Each gives as good as get.

This is relatively mild compared to Crazy running in circles hollering "sucker fish" after he hits a 3-outer on the river to take your stack.

DrStrange

Hero and Crafty have a long history of needling each other. Each gives as good as get.

This is relatively mild compared to Crazy running in circles hollering "sucker fish" after he hits a 3-outer on the river to take your stack.

DrStrange

...and in the funny things heard thread that player wondered why guinness hadn't been stabbed yet?....

Man, I really like Crazy a lot more now. He's taken nutter butter lessons obviously.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom