Ivey’s going deep (1 Viewer)

I thought the turn check made Ivey’s story tough to believe too. The pokergo guys thought it was a great move on his part.
I dunno.
Bottom line for me was the unnecessary risk - it really didn’t seem like a shit or get off the pot moment for Ivey. That’s why I was scratching my head.

Turn check only makes sense if he's holding a non-s/s 9T for the straight, but concerned about the flush.

If the flush *and* straight come on the turn, that's a good spot to gather info, IMO. Bet.

it really didn’t seem like a shit or get off the pot moment for Ivey. That’s why I was scratching my head.

Maybe that's what makes it a great bluff spot. But if you think you are behind and need to bet to win the pot, why not lead the river?

By the way, did anybody see Ivey’s misclick? I was watching on my phone, so I’m not sure of the betting details.
Ivey was in middle to late position, I think.
I think somebody led out for a small amount. Then somebody definitely went all in with QQ, which I believe was for at least 6 digits.
Ivey was looking at his phone. Guy next to him tapped in front of him like “wake up.”
Ivey put down his phone, looked at 33, fired a 25k chip in to presumably either limp, or call the initial raise. Somebody said “no, that guy’s all in.” Ivey immediately pulled back his 25k chip and muncked his cards.
It folded around and the all-in raked his small pot, without a word, I think.
I’m pretty sure if it was me at that table, I would have been forced to be in for 25k or calling the all-in. But Phil’s earned a bit more respect than me, I suppose.

If the all-in was over 50k, you too would be permitted to pull back the 25k, provided you did not vocalize call.

If I were at the table I would have asked Phil (or anyone too busy on their phone to play poker) if that was a call, and got him to commit before telling them it was for X more. At that point the call would be verbal and binding.

If the all-in was over 50k, you too would be permitted to pull back the 25k, provided you did not vocalize call.

If I were at the table I would have asked Phil (or anyone too busy on their phone to play poker) if that was a call, and got him to commit before telling them it was for X more. At that point the call would be verbal and binding.
The card room I play in most often, in that tournament situation, will rule that the chip(s) in the middle stay in the pot, but give the guy who made the mistake the option to fold instead of calling the all in.
It seems like an awkward compromise (that might not be supported by any written rule) but it also seems fair.

Re-reading the TDA rule, your card room is right...

42: Binding Declarations / Undercalls in Turn

A: General verbal declarations in turn (such as “call” or “raise”) commit a player to the full current action. See Illustration Addendum

B: A player undercalls by declaring or pushing out less than the call amount without first declaring “call”. An undercall is a mandatory full call if made in turn facing 1) any bet heads-up or 2) the opening bet on any round multi-way. In other situations, TD’s discretion applies. The opening bet is the first chip bet of each betting round (not a check). In blind games the posted BB is the pre-flop opener. All-in buttons reduce undercall frequency (See Recommended Procedure 1). This rule governs when players must make a full call and when, at TDs discretion they may forfeit an undercall and fold. For underbets and underraises, see Rule 43.

Illustration Addendum
Example 1:

NLHE, blinds 1000-2000. Post-flop, A opens for 2000, B raises to 8000, C pushes out 2000 silently. C has undercalled B’s bet. Per Rule 42-B, because B is not the opener (A is) and the round is still multi-way, at TD’s discretion C may be required to make a full call or allowed to forfeit the 2000 undercall and fold.

Example 2:
NLHE, blinds 1000-2000. Post-flop 4 players remain. A opens for 8000, B silently puts out 2000. Per Rule 42-B, B undercalled the opening bet and must make a full call of 8000.

Example 3:
NLHE, blinds 1000-2000. Post-flop, A opens for 2000, B raises to 8000, C declares “call”. Per Rule 42-A, C has made a general verbal declaration (“call”) in turn. C is obligated to call B’s full bet of 8000.

I thought the line was sound but the gambit was unnecessarily risky at that point. Ivey’s edge over the remaining field with a deep stack is significant, however this kind of play is a huge part of that edge. The turn check looks very trappy, and top 2 doesn’t feel so strong in this spot. Sad to see him go here.

Overall it’s a sick bluff spot. 99s double blocks the possibilities, and Ivey is capable of playing anything the same way. Usually that play gets through. Sure takes a lot to bluff 100bbs at this point in the ME. He was playing to win so good for him. It was a great call as well with the flush and straight possibilities. The fact that villain tanked for a bit shows how difficult it is to make correct plays at this depth of the event, alone against a guy like Ivey.

The word around the "poker media" is that Ivey was visibly tilted losing an 8-minute tank-call to trip-3s just a couple of hands prior. The going theory is that this was a tilt-jam reaction to that bad call. Not sure there was much strategy behind it other than that. Even pros can become a victim to their emotions.

The word around the "poker media" is that Ivey was visibly tilted losing an 8-minute tank-call to trip-3s just a couple of hands prior. The going theory is that this was a tilt-jam reaction to that bad call. Not sure there was much strategy behind it other than that. Even pros can become a victim to their emotions.

My take: I was watching live at the time. Ivey was pissed after the 7 min tank and making the loosing call. Since the dinner break was after completion of the current hand, he shoved, happy to either double up or go home. I don’t think he cared. He didn’t want to play a short stack.

Isn't a single chip thrown out considered a call?

Or is that only when you intentionally throw a single chip out, implying a call?

Single over-chip is a call. Action with a gross misunderstanding of the amount bet can be undone.

I've seen most places where even a single $1 chip is a call, but there is a complete understanding of the bet.

Agreed, definitely not a long tank. If it were me, I might still be thinking about it. :banghead: Nah, I’d have folded after maybe 20 seconds and humbly shuffled the remains of my stack lol

Definitely unnecessary, its what made it so disappointing.

I’ll take the word of those calling and watching the entire stream and sequence for context, for sure. Just throwing my instincts on the one hand into the mix. Seems a reasonable analysis, and Ivey being tilted or ready to leave isn’t hard to buy either.

I thought the turn check made Ivey’s story tough to believe too. The pokergo guys thought it was a great move on his part.
I dunno.
Bottom line for me was the unnecessary risk - it really didn’t seem like a shit or get off the pot moment for Ivey. That’s why I was scratching my head.
Bad move by Ivey... I think we are all left scratching our heads... doesn't seem like the typical Ivey play.

Bad move by Ivey... I think we are all left scratching our heads... doesn't seem like the typical Ivey play.

Only bad because it didn't work. Otherwise he would look like a genius. Took a lot of guts to make the move, but doing it a few hands after 8 minute tank call/lose is probably not the most optimal timing wise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom