It is not possible to exceed the weight limit on a USPS small flat-rate box (1 Viewer)

Gear

4 of a Kind
Site Vendor
Supporter
Reaction score
https://boingboing.net/2022/04/23/n...the-weight-limit-of-a-usps-flat-rate-box.html

1650736578382.png

If no known element at that size exceeds 70 lbs., why is there a specified weight limit at all?
I’d like to think it’s because someone was having fun and wanted to challenge us.

More likely, someone saw a need to establish a weight limit, someone else calculated and reported the max weight, and then they called it a day.

As a chemistry teacher, I have imagined doing this calculation with gold (19 g/cm^3), which is almost as dense as osmium but not quite, but I'd never done it. I figured the answer would be close. Cool stuff.

If I'm not mistaken, the 70-lb weight limit is for any size flat-rate box, i.e. up to and including large. It just happens that it doesn't make any sense for small :LOL: :laugh:

70 lbs is the maximum postal limit for everything, although I thought there might be a surcharge to go above that, but I might be wrong

it is NOT possible to ship 2 racks of chips in a SFRB...only with no padding (no go for clay)
I do this all the time. I put 2 boxes of chips in the SFRB. then wrap the entire box in bubble wrap, then put the bubble wrapped package in a bubble wrap mailing envelope and tape it up. Works fine.

So did anyone else start scratching their head on putting Osmium in CPC chips? Hmm a Troy OZ costs $400... that's 31.1 grams or $12.86 per gram... so if we were trying to get a 7 gram chip over the 10g threshold it would only add $38.58 per chip to the cost, not bad goven the current chipping market... but of course we better make sure it would be safe.
Screenshot_20220424-101944_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ok never mind... lol

I do this all the time. I put 2 boxes of chips in the SFRB. then wrap the entire box in bubble wrap, then put the bubble wrapped package in a bubble wrap mailing envelope and tape it up. Works fine.
But that's not a SFRB shipment anymore, is it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom