Issue w/ Rockler Folding Legs (1 Viewer)

links_slayer

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Bought these (http://www.rockler.com/folding-stacking-banquet-table-legs) for my Three Putt Poker table because, while they're still folding legs, they are much more pleasing to my eye than the "standard" folding banquet-style legs.

I installed them per the accompanying manual, making damn well sure that the legs were at a perfect 90º before attaching the mechanism to the bottom of the base. The problem I'm having is there there is quite a bit of "wobble" the long way. It's almost as though the legs aren't locking into the mechanism correctly?

Anyone with these legs (I know there have to be a few of you out there) have any similar experiences or have any advice on how to fix this? I called Rockler and the manufacturer and they were not very helpful (pretty disappointed with Rockler to be honest...I've had nothing but incredible customer service previously). I asked if there were any maximum table specs (length, width, weight) that would cause this but they had no idea. If it was just a little bit of wobble I could tolerate it but it wobbles to the point where I can hear metal clanking/rubbing on metal under the table.

I have them on 1 table. Life is crazy at home, but I'll take a look at them to see what I did. They have been awesome for me. Was planning on buying another set in the near future.

Mark

I have the same problem with my legs. I'm incredibly disappointed with Rockler. I had to order these legs three times just to get a set that didn't have shattered plastic feet.

Maybe @Redbelly could chime in. I know he uses these same legs on both of his tables.

I used these legs a few years ago and I didn't have any problems. I built a table for a friend so I don't have the table, I thought they locked in place. Assuming your legs look like this

heckman's table 003.jpg

Correct - they do lock in place. The problem is that they aren't locking "tightly" after clicking into place. Maybe I shouldn't have been so quick to bash Rockler as it is entirely possible that I messed something up with the install. I just found it incredibly frustrating that they (along with the manufacturer) seemed to offer nothing other than "if you followed the manual we don't know what else to tell you."

Flip the table and see if there is any play in the joints when you push the legs back and forth. You could have a rivet loose or something. Detailed pics could help.

The same thing has happened to me with both tables I've built using these legs. Don't get me wrong; I love the way they look. They're far and away the nicest looking folding legs on the market, but it is frustrating, especially for the price.

Maybe @Redbelly could chime in. I know he uses these same legs on both of his tables.

I was going to say I'm pretty sure those are the legs Sean has, I remember moving his table last summer and thinking to myself how damn sturdy the legs were for how heavy the table was. I made a mental note that those would be the legs I go with from now on because I was so impressed. FWIW I've played on his tables a few times and never noticed a bit of wobble. Sure the table can move a little if someone is leaning over it to deal or rake a pot and they kind of bump it, but nothing that I would call a wobble, just a bump and even then it's minimal.

I hope you get it figured out @links_slayer , I'm interested to see what you figure out because I am so impressed with these legs as far as looks and function that I would have to guess that you got a bad set. Maybe post somepics?

Thanks for the comments so far. I'll post some pics and maybe even some video tonight if I can figure out how to upload.

Alright.

Here is a pic of the underside of the table:

Diodvt1.jpg

And a closer shot:

wnzlc1i.jpg

I took off the rail and flipped the table over.

As is, they look pretty good and plumb

PcsuGtW.jpg

Here is a better (?) close-up of the "locking" part of the mechanism:

2W2qEVS.jpg

And here are some videos:

It's kind of hard to see the wobble in this first one

I think this one shows the "problem" the best

And this one shows the leg from going folded to extended, including going into the clip:

Hey Josh,

I'm not home but as 12th Man indicated, these are the exact legs I used on my tables. I can honestly say that I love them for both the sturdiness and the looks. I don't "think" I have wobble issues, however, if you move the table back and forth there is some movement and also some squeaking but nothing that I would deem unexpected or that takes away from the ga,e itself. Especially for the weight and size of my tables. I'm very satisfied with the result.

When I mounted my legs I used bolts and ezlocs and not screws.

I wasn't able to play your videos. I did mount these legs with the idea that they would be temporary and look forward to the day that I can have solid fixed legs installed.

In all the searches that I did I couldn't find a better alternative to these and personally am pleased.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1445980299.785790.jpg

HD

Fixed that (I think)?
Yeah, I saw the videos. Looks like slop in the latch mechanism is the issue. I can't tell whether it would be easier to build up the diameter of the bar, or adjust the latch mechanism to eliminate it. More pics maybe?

Can see the videos now!

I can't see anything in the videos that would indicate a problem. I think if you take any folding table you will have some movement. Everything I see shows acceptable "play". Hope this was helpful.

HD

I guess I'm just bummed because the cheap/standard folding legs on my old table were way more solid/stable than this. I totally understand the wiggle associated with any style folding legs. I'll see if I can figure something out.

I guess I'm just bummed because the cheap/standard folding legs on my old table were way more solid/stable than this. I totally understand the wiggle associated with any style folding legs. I'll see if I can figure something out.
Try to get the lock to actually clamp the bar in place.

I have my game again first Fri. in Nov. I'll take a closer look then. (Tables are being stored at another home since I moved recently!)[emoji22]

Perhaps if the legs were mounted a hair further out, they'd lock tighter?

Your legs look toed in. His legs look toed out. But it may be barrel distortion from his camera lens.

I think with that type of mechnanism and the tolerances built into its manufacturing, some wobbling is to be expected. If you got really lucky when installing the legs, you could eliminate some of it. Otherwise, you'll have to do some type of engineering to get the pieces to fit together more tightly. If I had some Spotted Cow in me, I might be able to figure out a solution. Well, not some, but a lot.

Last edited:
If you can't make any adjustments...what about a rubber or a neoprene bumper in therebetween the bar and stop to create some resistance when locking the legs in place?

On my table I took legs off a $5 table from Value Village and have been surprised at how well they have worked despite being the cheap legs you see on every cheap table from the dawn of time. One thing I do that really helps is once I have the table set up I go around to each side and kind of pull the legs backwards a little, almost like I was trying to unfold them more past there limits. I think this takes up any slop that will be present and makes it as sturdy as it can be. In other words I would rather my legs be maxed out to the widest they can be as opposed to the other end of the "slop" spectrum that would have the legs almost angled in towards the center of the table. It helps back and forth wobble a ton and if you haven't already tried this then give it a go, my legs have enough play in them that when I pull each side out a little more you can see and feel a huge difference.

I can't tell whether it would be easier to build up the diameter of the bar...

I have some preliminary success with this approach. I took some leftover fabric from one of my wife's sewing projects and wrapped it around the bar. The bar clamps in there really solidly now and the table seems like it's almost as stable as my old table. Still a bit of wiggle but substantial improvement. Thank you all for the advice and suggestions!!

I have some preliminary success with this approach. I took some leftover fabric from one of my wife's sewing projects and wrapped it around the bar. The bar clamps in there really solidly now and the table seems like it's almost as stable as my old table. Still a bit of wiggle but substantial improvement. Thank you all for the advice and suggestions!!

Great to hear. If you have access to wrap the bar, metal would stiffer. A couple layers of the foil tape you can buy for HVAC ducting would work great, I think.

Instead of fabric, use duck tape as a more perm solution?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom