Is there a world of difference between CPC inlays and hotstamps? (1 Viewer)

Minus

Pair
Reaction score
I got the hotstamped color samples on A-mold thinking it would simplify things, but it's astonishing how... wrong... they feel and sound. I expected them to be different from Paulsons, but it's a cheapness kind of sound.

For everyone with more CPC experience, were you also disappointed with the hotstamps, but then blown away by how good they are with inlays on the right molds?

CPC are not Paulson and Pauson are not CPC. If you were expecting them to be the same, you haven't read enough around here.

They are both very good chips, and CPC are the only way you can (easily) get 100% custom compression clay. You did the right thing by getting samples (some people don't), but if you were expecting Pauslon from CPC, that was never going to happen.

1654987374317.png

Sorry, felt like being sassy

I do find the difference between stamped and inlaid chips on a given mold to be significant, but have noticed others are not as sensitive to it.

While I have much less experience with ASM/CPC than many others here, it does seem like their chips can vary quite a bit in sound and feel across molds, as well.

View attachment 929367

Sorry, felt like being sassy
My response is a knee-jerk reaction for myself anymore. I see so many posts people wanting one to be like the other when they aren't I mostly eye-roll and move along.

Maybe a bit reactive on my part when I see 'cheapness' used.

Sorry if I came across as a bit of an ass with my reply, but unfortunately sarcasm and vocal tone shifts that make a lighter or less serious post don't translate well to text in a thread. Sarcasm is my second nature and I find myself having to use emoji a lot to make sure I get that across.

My response is a knee-jerk reaction for myself anymore. I see so many posts people wanting one to be like the other when they aren't I mostly eye-roll and move along.

Maybe a bit reactive on my part when I see 'cheapness' used.

Sorry if I came across as a bit of an ass with my reply, but unfortunately sarcasm and vocal tone shifts that make a lighter or less serious post don't translate well to text in a thread. Sarcasm is my second nature and I find myself having to use emoji a lot to make sure I get that across.
I thought your response was perfect.

I got the hotstamped color samples on A-mold thinking it would simplify things, but it's astonishing how... wrong... they feel and sound. I expected them to be different from Paulsons, but it's a cheapness kind of sound.

For everyone with more CPC experience, were you also disappointed with the hotstamps, but then blown away by how good they are with inlays on the right molds?
I have CPC samples of inlaid chips on all molds they offer, and hotstamps on many of them. I also have sets or have plaid with chips from every major manufacturer or mold out there. I can say that CPC chips, in general, are their own beast, and often times initially feel/sound inferior to other chips - particularly Paulsons circa 1992-1996. They are also all distinct, and each mold will offer considerable differences in the look, feel, and behavior of chips due differences in molds. I *highly* recommend that you reserve judgement on any given mold/hotstamp combo until you see and feel it in your hands. Perhaps you're not a fan of hotstamped A-molds, but inlaid DIASQR's may be your jam. You can't know until you see and feel a sample.

Here are some of my favorite combinations. Your mileage may vary.

- Inlaid jockey molds. While not the same, the feel of these chips are the closest I think you can get to chips on one of the THC molds. The first time I got a sample set on that mold my brain immediately noticed a difference and for the first time I thought "These feel right!"

- CSQ mold with 1" inlays/DIASQ mold with 7/8" inlays. These feel like good and appropriate mold/inlay combinations to me and, while not Paulsons or TRKs, have a classic look and feel about them that sems "right".

- Inlaid small crown. The CPC materials are different, but for my money, outside of linen inlays and/or sawtooth inlays on the old original TRKs, these are a reasonable facsimile to the originals.

- Hotstamped large crowns. CPC will not stamp these themselves and it will take an aftermarket stamper a bit to get their machine dialed in to stamp these properly, but the resulting product can be quite similar to unscraped TRK hotstamps (again, material difference aside). The Vesper Club set by @gopherblue is the premier example of this, IMO.

- Hotstamped scroll molds. These feel very reminscent of their European bretheren once broken in a little bit. In fact it was a simple hotstamped scroll mold fractional from England that sold me on that mold.

All that said, one thing to keep in mind is CPC's endure normal wear and tear better than Paulsons. Paulson chips take flea bites easier and wear down sooner. I can shuffle a stack of paulsons into oblivion far faster than CPC chips, and that's not nothin'.

I would say no.
And though this doesn’t answer the title question, I’ll add it anyway. The first time I played a session with CPCs, I think I had a similar feeling about them - they sounded more like ceramics than Paulsons. But the more I got exposed to them over the years, the more I came to like them. I’m not saying they’re an acquired taste, though. I think it just took some time to get over the idea that Paulsons are ideal and the less a chip is like a Paulson, the less ideal it is.

Oh, there is definitely a difference between sound and feel for CPC hot stamps and inlaid chips, but it's more about the difference between the molds I think as well.

As many have stated here, CPC chips are a beast of their own, and within CPC, the molds themselves can have devout followers or haters.

So, it's really a matter of getting your hands on what you like aesthetically to see if you're going to like the feel and sound of it. For me, I went with pure aesthetics, using the small crown mold to pay tribute to TRKs. Luckily, I did like the feel when my chips arrived.

If you don’t take color into consideration, I prefer CPC to Paulson. To me they are old school clay. They aren’t soft and feel more durable. Yes, they’re light and have a higher pitch sound, but I like it.

I really don’t see much difference between hot stamp and inlay CPCs, except that maybe the sound has a slightly less ring.

Last edited:
I know this wasn’t one of the things mentioned… but the roughness of the edge of a new CPC chip compared to the sharpness of a new Paulson is something I just can’t overlook. I’ve bought a 600 piece custom CPC set and that was enough for me. The quality of the chip just isn’t as good.. and all the brass fillings in the colors suck too.

I've handled hot stamped, blank and inlayed diamond square and circle square shuffle stacks.

My experience with these is that the hot stamps and blanks have a higher pitch sound than the the inlayed chips.

I am blown away with my custom CPC and ASM sets, and they feel nothing like Paulsons.

If your comparing Paulson's and CPCs, you arnt ever going to get an answer. Both are different items. One is not the other. And that's okay.

CPC all the way, as the creative ability is better to me then a Paulson chip. But everyone has different goals in this hobby, and those goals can change and evolve thru time.

Reactions: JFG
If your comparing Paulson's and CPCs, you arnt ever going to get an answer. Both are different items. One is not the other. And that's okay.

CPC all the way, as the creative ability is better to me then a Paulson chip. But everyone has different goals in this hobby, and those goals can change and evolve thru time.
Absolutely, apples and oranges. Completely different recipe and process.

Absolutely, apples and oranges. Completely different recipe and process.
Yup. In the realm of life, they are very close.

In the realm of poker chips, they are vastly different. If people want amazing poker chips, Paulson's are great. That's great, but I want creativity. So CPC gives me that option.

Reactions: JFG
I would suggest getting your hands on different molds. There can be significant differences in how they feel and sound. When I got my A mold samples I wasn't impressed enough to consider getting CPCs over Paulsons. However, I played with the SCROWN mold and thought they felt amazing and would definitely get a set of those.

Well, in order to complete my chipping journey, I decided to create a custom hotstamp trourney set and went with the Dice and Cards mold from CPC.

img_20220528_094648-2-jpg.918734

I've Paulson hotstamp, C&J hotstamp too and I've to say that even if they are totally different in feel and sound, I like my CPC hotstamp a lot. They achieved their goal, complete my chipping journey.

Last edited:
Well, in order to complete my chipping journey, I decided to create a custom hotstamp trourney set and of course and went with the Dice and Cards mold from CPC.

img_20220528_094648-2-jpg.918734

I like my CPC hotstamp a lot. They achieved their goal, complete my chipping journey.

Agreed.

Back in the day I used to think Paulsons were superior to CPC. Since then I realized that NOTHING can compare to your own meaningful custom set. This set could be CPC, Matsui, ceramic, etc.. Or a semi-custom overlayed/murdered/milled Paulson set is an option too if your OCD can handle that...

Agreed.

Back in the day I used to think Paulsons were superior to CPC. Since then I realized that NOTHING can compare to your own meaningful custom set. This set could be CPC, Matsui, ceramic, etc.. Or a semi-custom overlayed/murdered/milled Paulson set is an option too if your OCD can handle that...

Indeed.

I've also custom ceramics and hybrids plus milled/Gear-labelled Paulson.

But since hotstamp was my first love and I mostly play and host tournaments, a CPC hotstamp set was really the thing that could complete my chipping journey.

There can be big differences in sound and feel across the various CPC molds. Some you will probably really like, others you will likely hate. Most will fall somewhere in the middle.

Personally, I've found little sound difference with inlays vs hot-stamps in/on the same mold (especially once broken-in). Feel is definitely different, since hot-stamps are 100% uncovered and roughed-up by the foil/stamp material displacement. And in general, hot-stamped chips will weigh slightly more (paper/vinyl inlays and plastic lamination weigh less than the chip material they replace). But I wouldn't say that one is necessarily 'better' than the other, just slightly different. Mold choice is a much bigger variable, imo.

Your best approach is to get barrel samples of the CPC molds that appeal to you visually, and then compare away to determine your own likes and dislikes.

Just don't expect any of them to be anything like Paulson chips (beyond being round disks), because they are made using a totally different process using totally different materials.

I know this wasn’t one of the things mentioned… but the roughness of the edge of a new CPC chip compared to the sharpness of a new Paulson is something I just can’t overlook. I’ve bought a 600 piece custom CPC set and that was enough for me. The quality of the chip just isn’t as good.. and all the brass fillings in the colors suck too.
A-mold? It has a very rough feel and while I like the look of them I just can’t get over that feel. Other cpc molds are not like that.

You already know…QUOTE="Eriks, post: 1873205, member: 4894"]
A-mold? It has a very rough feel and while I like the look of them I just can’t get over that feel. Other cpc molds are not like that.
[/QUOTE]

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom