Is Putting a new hot stamp on a milled chip a thing ? (1 Viewer)

Justchipin

3 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Hellow PFC !
Got a new set of solids today and trying to figure out what I want to do with them. The set never came with a $1 chip and was thinking about adding one. could I mill a different solids and then put the same hotstamp as the rest of my set on them to match?

If you know anything about this stuff or know someone that does would Appreciate the help

I think someone did this and it turned out decent. It wasn't a showstopper imo but it was many moons ago so the details are fuzzy. One of the old school guys back me up on this.

One of the great concerns was the possibility that milling reduced the strength of the chip so that the second stamp would warp or break them. Not sure if this was proven or not.

It’s not impossible but there are hurdles.
As mentioned above, weaker chips
Also, the surface isn’t always level with respect to the edges of the chip.
The stamp has to go further in, increasing the chance of the machinery contacting other higher parts of the chip and leaving a mark
The recess edges are sharp and will flake and wear down fast

You might have better luck getting old worn hotstamps, have Dan recondition them, then restamp.

Yes it me!

Results were tolerable...there is one issue, the middle of the chip needs to be perfectly flat to take the stamp so I ended up having to buy aluminum stamping blanks the size of the recess and then flatten out the middle in my heated press...it was complicated but happy to go over in more detail ..

Something else I *think* would be feasible that I havent tried yet is "restoring" the space where the inlay was...I have some white chips that I can try this with if it interests you

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom