Is it normal for KEMs to start chipping after 24 hours? (1 Viewer)

Judd

Waiting List
Reaction score
I got my KEMs 48 hours ago. I noticed some chipping on a few cards a day after I got them, with the AS having the most damage. The only thing I can think of is when I was pitching the cards, some of them hit the side of my keyboard on the hard plastic. Still, they only would have traveled about 10 inches through the air.

Are all acetate cards this fragile or am I just unlucky?

Hard to see without zooming in, but the ones with some damage look "extra dirty".

PXL_20230112_215315751.jpg

PXL_20230112_215337983.jpg

PXL_20230112_215456786.jpg

This happend once in my table but guy slamed cards in anger

The ace says 2422
Those are pretty new. Just under a year old. Manufactured February 4, 2022 that means.

I've mostly stayed away from Kems with the exception of when my Rounders chips go into play.

Those are pretty new. Just under a year old. Manufactured February 4, 2022 that means.

I've mostly stayed away from Kems with the exception of when my Rounders chips go into play.
Purist..

I sat in front of my computer, moved my keyboard forwards, put a mat down, and then I pitched a card forwards. It happened to hit the back long edge of my keyboard.

ah right, thanks, I wondered what they meant exactly. I'm not sure I'd buy kems again after my experience. Shame because they handle very nicely.

i’ve only seen 4 digits on KEM cards. i don’t think the first 2 digits are month/date. perhaps the week of that year?

I noticed some chipping on a few cards a day after I got them

I sat in front of my computer, moved my keyboard forwards, put a mat down, and then I pitched a card forwards. It happened to hit the back long edge of my keyboard.
I think you found the reason

Last edited:

ah right, thanks, I wondered what they meant exactly. I'm not sure I'd buy kems again after my experience. Shame because they handle very nicely.
Seems like an unlikely thing to happen if you handle the cards correctly on an actual playing surface.
I'm not a huge fan of KEM either (for different reasons) but this seems to be an unfair yardstick.

Ive had some that warp within 5 shuffles and others that have never warped even after hours of play, both of these were made recently too. I imagine its the same with chipping, pretty sure their quality control is just terrible

Ive had some that warp within 5 shuffles and others that have never warped even after hours of play, both of these were made recently too. I imagine its the same with chipping, pretty sure their quality control is just terrible
right, has to be QC

In my experience, temperature warping is more of a problem than chipping with KEMs, but chipping can happen quickly with any card you're pitching with force into a hard backstop. Plastic cards in general are not really made to take that impact.

I used to have a set of 4 cards—IIRC Desjgn—that I had to use constantly to do a random selection from a set of 4 options, for work. But being on the desk meant I'd play with them all the time, including more-than-occasionally pitching them across the room. Eventually all 4 of them were utterly destroyed. Chips, cracks, worn ink, the works. Wish I'd hung onto them so I could show you.

What I will say about KEMs is that I've never found them to be a good value for the money. I've found even Bicycle Prestige to be a better quality card for less money (though I'm now finding that Prestiges have a tendency to crack at the middle after extended handling).

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom