Is it ever too hot to ship poker chips? (1 Viewer)

bluesman250

Two Pair
Reaction score
I live in Texas where temps now are consistently 100 degrees+. I am buying some (rather expensive) mint Paulsons and having them shipped to Texas. Has anyone has ever had issues with heat damage (warping, etc.) in shipment? Is air better than ground? Should I wait for it to cool down a bit? Am I just being paranoid???!

I had a sample set of chips last year in a bubble mailer that was sitting in US customs for a week show up pretty gnarly looking with warping. No big deal as these were going right into air tites and no one could tell anything, but for higher quantities of chips, buyer beware.

I would say it's not a prolonged period of exposure and you should be fine to go ahead and ship them. Others may chime in differently but chips typically warp in a storage environment where they are repeatedly exposed to that temperature
I guess you could get warping from being left in a mail truck in heat over night and processed into an air-conditioned facility but even those temps are not drastically changing rapidly enough for it to cause an issue (Strictly my opinion)

I had a sample set of chips last year in a bubble mailer that was sitting in US customs for a week show up pretty gnarly looking with warping. No big deal as these were going right into air tites and no one could tell anything, but for higher quantities of chips, buyer beware.
Thats customs though, I would imagine within conus it shouldn't be that long?

It would highly depend on where the chips were going. Two or three days the most via USPS priority mail? Probably no issue. Overseas for several days or weeks? Could get dicey.
For some reason I thought he was buying the chips in Texas, the post does not clarify that so I can see where your concern for the overseas shipping comes in :tup:

Last edited:
So Ms. Brie typically wraps all of the chips in cellophane, they are kept tight the whole time, loose chips even in Warnke boxes that have uneven preasure I would think it doesn't take very long in Temps well over 100 to take a toll on the chips.

I would say ship them. But see if the seller is willing to wrap the individual barrels tightly in cellophane before putting them in the boxes.

To clarify I live in Texas and I’m buying the chips. I’m not yet sure where they are shipping from but any shipment coming to Texas is going to see some high temps.

I live in Texas where temps now are consistently 100 degrees+. I am buying some (rather expensive) mint Paulsons and having them shipped to Texas. Has anyone has ever had issues with heat damage (warping, etc.) in shipment? Is air better than ground? Should I wait for it to cool down a bit? Am I just being paranoid???!
Longtime AZ resident here. Shipped and received tens of thousands of chips. Paulsons are generally safe in just about any temperature. Not sure about TRK's specifically but I've never had a problem with them so far. ASM/CPC's will melt and warp if you're not careful. Those should be delivered to the postal service inside a climate controlled facility, and should be similarly received if at all possible. Even that may not be enough, though - if they're sitting in the sun for a while (in a shipping container on the tarmac somewhere, for example) - you could be screwed regardless.

Longtime AZ resident here. Shipped and received tens of thousands of chips. Paulsons are generally safe in just about any temperature. Not sure about TRK's specifically but I've never had a problem with them so far. ASM/CPC's will melt and warp if you're not careful. Those should be delivered to the postal service inside a climate controlled facility, and should be similarly received if at all possible. Even that may not be enough, though - if they're sitting in the sun for a while (in a shipping container on the tarmac somewhere, for example) - you could be screwed regardless.
Ditto this (minus the tens of thousands of chips). I have received many chips this summer where temperatures often exceed 100 deg. That's our norm in July and August. In fact, rarely does it cool off below 95 even at night for those two months. I do try and not leave them sitting in the metal mail box which can reach oven like temps or sitting in my parked car for that matter. YMMV. Good luck!

I've received plenty of chips in Texas mailed during Aug and Sept and have had enough chips warp that I'll never have chips sent to me in Texas during july- Sept again; this includes Paulson's and ASM/CPC.

Answer is Highly unlikely since they are wrapped in a Package.

However it will be a different story if they are exposed under the sunlight instead

I have received ASMs completely warped but never any problems with Paulsons (my packages typically travel USA to Sweden)

The ASM/CPC chips will start to curve in around the edges. When I bought some singles and was unable to get to the mailbox until the evening, it had an effect on them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom