Is Doug’s fold really that great? (1 Viewer)

Doug's comments in the video above are pretty much my feelings, even outside this one hand. Phil has been playing a lot in the "Hollywood games" (we see him chummy with a group of them in a PAD game last month). Not that Phil is a "bad" player, you can't win 15 bracelets if you are, but his expertise is playing tournaments. I think we can all agree that there is a difference between the two games.

There's a reason why we didn't see him in the earlier incarnation of HSP. High stakes cash just isn't his style.

I would like to know how edited the hand and episode is. Doug's tank doesn't seem terribly long in the episode.

The odds of me going broke if I were in Doug's shoes here are pretty high. That said, if we take the previous episode(s) into mind as a history of how Phil was playing this particular game on this particular day, Phil's overbet seems rather enthusiastic to me, and I feel that's probably what tipped Doug off that he was likely beat.

I’m going to resurrect this thread just to comment on Phil. Holy fuckballs is he an insecure narcissist.

He’s constantly talking about how amazing of a player he is and how he plays perfect poker, but he’s getting so exploited on the show it’s hilarious. It would be more fun to watch if he wasn’t so arrogant.

Benza and Caplan are so good at calling the game though. Perfect balance with hearing table talk and commentary.

i never know how much of PH is an act or not.

Phil just plays ABC TAG poker. Its not fun to watch, but he is not wrong that it probably earned him a lot of money. But nowadays, he is super out matched. I also dont have a grasp on his mixed game skills, which there might be more money in at the higher stakes.

I also dont have a grasp on his mixed game skills, which there might be more money in at the higher stakes.
All of his bracelets are in hold'em and I don't get the feeling he dabbles too much in other forms.

Benza and Caplan are so good at calling the game though
1619195093832.png

All of his bracelets are in hold'em and I don't get the feeling he dabbles too much in other forms.
1619195992198.png

I'm not going to dig thru all of PH's WSOP wins because I dont hate my life that much (not yet at least), but this was a quick search after I sorted via top money finishes for him. He has mixed games and non-holdem games peppered throughout. Yeah, he has way more hold em finishes, but so does everyone else. Finding high buy-in razz (as an example) tourney's is probably only reserved for the WSOP and they wont have many. I'm far from a PH fan, just trying to be objective.

This goes back to the Dnegs vs Polk debate. Polk is a better HU-NLH player, Dnegs is a better poker player. Same thing goes for PH here.

I'm not going to dig thru all of PH's WSOP wins because I dont hate my life that much (not yet at least), but this was a quick search after I sorted via top money finishes for him.
Obviously I am mistaken. I guess I don't remember where I head what I said before. I will just blame Norman Chad.

This Roberto Romanello fold is always going to be my favourite and the reactions at the table are great. It's the first one on the video.

I’m going to resurrect this thread just to comment on Phil. Holy fuckballs is he an insecure narcissist.

He’s constantly talking about how amazing of a player he is and how he plays perfect poker, but he’s getting so exploited on the show it’s hilarious. It would be more fun to watch if he wasn’t so arrogant.

Benza and Caplan are so good at calling the game though. Perfect balance with hearing table talk and commentary.
I may have already said this, but I may have reached my breaking point with Phil on this season’s High Stakes Poker.
He’s the best at what he does (winning live, large field poker tournaments) and thats always meant a lot to me. All his table talk has been at times amusing, annoying, and puzzling. But this season on high stakes poker, the non stop talk about himself just got to me. And when so much of the talk is about how great he is, directed toward a table full of people who think he’s a joke - it just shows a lack (or disregard) of self awareness that’s unfathomable.
I just don’t think I can do it any more. I look forward to this year’s live WSOP in the fall. But I think I can say for the first time, that I don’t want to see any Hellmuth, unless maybe it’s at a final table.

I may have already said this, but I may have reached my breaking point with Phil on this season’s High Stakes Poker.
He’s the best at what he does (winning live, large field poker tournaments) and thats always meant a lot to me. All his table talk has been at times amusing, annoying, and puzzling. But this season on high stakes poker, the non stop talk about himself just got to me. And when so much of the talk is about how great he is, directed toward a table full of people who think he’s a joke - it just shows a lack (or disregard) of self awareness that’s unfathomable.
I just don’t think I can do it any more. I look forward to this year’s live WSOP in the fall. But I think I can say for the first time, that I don’t want to see any Hellmuth, unless maybe it’s at a final table.
That shtick worked in 2005, but it's old now. Like, really old. Back in the day it worked well to get his name out there and create a character for himself. Now it's just old, and everyone knows he isn't the greatest hold em player to ever live. In 2005 it was believable, now, not so much. It's just time to stfu Phil.

If one truly is the greatest poker player in the world, would you really want the world to know? :unsure:

That shtick worked in 2005, but it's old now. Like, really old. Back in the day it worked well to get his name out there and create a character for himself. Now it's just old, and everyone knows he isn't the greatest hold em player to ever live. In 2005 it was believable, now, not so much. It's just time to stfu Phil.
He's just so damn arrogant that I don't believe it's a shtick, he's just socially unaware of how much of a baby he looks and acts like. He's literally the joke of the table and you can see it in the players' faces. Hell, Ivey couldn't get out of there fast enough. I mean, if you've played as much poker as Hellmuth wouldn't you expect bad beats periodically? This season he's been literally bragging the entire time about how good he is, how much he's won and how stupid all of us viewers are because we don't "get it", meanwhile amateurs are running over him.

We get it... he's a man child.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom