Is chiptalk dead? (3 Viewers)

DrStrange

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I wonder if chip talk died this week. Or at least they lost all their data - all the threads and the galleries. I see linked pictures that were hosted on chip talk show up as broken,

For a few days the entire site was missing. Now there is a "no data" placeholder. It does remember my member name though.

Does anyone have information they can share?

DrStrange

Just went through a bunch of my old saved links and all give me a server error. But the forum software is up and running so it could just be a db restore is necessary.

Tried to visit the site night before last. Thought about creating a similar post here, but decided against it. No reason for optimism after last year. Fairly clear it was a matter of time before the lights would go out.

Don't want to see it die, not due to the current discussions or conversations (which are pretty much not existent), but for the vast amount of chipping knowledge to be found buried within the forums. It will be sad if all of that info & knowledge vanishes.

This is true, there was a ton of good info there

Yeah, still can't access it.. :(
would hate to see it go as there is a wealth of info and some great pics there
Group Buy? :cool

Wayback Machine's most recent snapshot is from Feb 19th

Does anyone know the site admin? It might be worth seeing if the database can be purchased and archived in a content repository somewhere - at least the important posts.

I haven't even visited CT for a long time now. When I think of CT I think of golden years or 'The Good ol' Days' of chipping...

I had over 10K posts there (user ID: Couga) and wasn't there for the Pharaoh GB, but arrived shortly thereafter. Sure I miss the good stuff, but it had it's time and it was just a shell of it's former self. If it's gone, I'll miss it, but not any more than I missed it the last couple of years.

Last edited:
It wasn't my first informative poker site, that goes to HomePokerTourney, which is also dead.

Chiptalk was good for the time, but everything has been better on PCF... everything. No fees, constant sight upgrades, Tommy's give-a-ways... everything has been better here.

It's hard to miss when the best parts of CT are here (the people), especially when most of the images from CT have been missing for a while.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the site admin? It might be worth seeing if the database can be purchased and archived in a content repository somewhere - at least the important posts.

Abby already said she was in touch with Greg who owns the site. She's the best contact for anything CT related.

... Chiptalk was good for the time, but everything has been better on PCF... everything. No fees, constant sight upgrades, Tommy's give-a-ways... everything has been better here...

I don't know... The asshats seemed to be less asshatty back then. On the other hand, I may just be older and grumpier now.

The domain is still active and the site is still live, so there's probably a technical issue. It could have been hacked, the database may have become corrupted, there might be a compatibility issue with the server and the forum software (like an out of date version of PHP). Chances are the server has an archived version of the full site somewhere.

It's also possible that the site has just been completely abandoned by the admins.

It wasn't my first informative poker sire, that goes to HomePokerTourney, which is now dead.

Chiptalk was good for the time, but everything has been better on PCF... everything. No fees, constant sight upgrades, Tommy's give-a-ways... everything has been better here.

It's hard to miss when the best parts of CT are here (the people), especially when most of the images from CT have been missing for a while.

This is how I feel about it too, here we have a site owner that cares. A big part of this hobby for me is the people, that’s why I check in as much as I do.

The domain is still active and the site is still live, so there's probably a technical issue. It could have been hacked, the database may have become corrupted, there might be a compatibility issue with the server and the forum software (like an out of date version of PHP). Chances are the server has an archived version of the full site somewhere.

It's also possible that the site has just been completely abandoned by the admins.

You must be new... Greg is notorious for abandoning the site to the point that it is sometimes been a year or more with him going AWOL. Jeff, a mod here, and Abby who are active still has admin rights, but as they don't own the server they are limited in what they can do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom