is a Royal Flush a hand ranking? (1 Viewer)

dkersey

Straight
Reaction score
When looking to print some cheat sheets for novices at my games of hand rankings, it seems that 95% of them have the rank of 'Royal Flush' as the highest rank above the straight flush. To me, a Royal Flush is the highest possible straight flush, and therefore it is not a different ranking. Every rank has its high possible combination, and the straight flush one just has a catchy name, so why is it listed on most of the cards as its own rank?

Gee, I hope this doesn't cause major controversy like the Hot Dog / Sandwich debate...

Steel Wheel ≤ Straight Flush ≤ Royal Flush.

So just list the Straight Flush and be done.

Yea but I got a steel wheel in Pai Gow and it paid a higher bonus than a regular straight flush. I think it was actually the same bonus as a Royal, so what I meant to say is Straight Flush < Steel Wheel = Royal Flush.

When looking to print some cheat sheets for novices at my games of hand rankings, it seems that 95% of them have the rank of 'Royal Flush' as the highest rank above the straight flush. To me, a Royal Flush is the highest possible straight flush, and therefore it is not a different ranking. Every rank has its high possible combination, and the straight flush one just has a catchy name, so why is it listed on most of the cards as its own rank?

Gee, I hope this doesn't cause major controversy like the Hot Dog / Sandwich debate...

I got into this discussion in another thread on here recently. I agree with you. I was in the minority. I gave up.

The first word of the question is essential for the discussion. IS a royal a hand ranking... not SHOULD a royal be a hand ranking

Good luck finding a hand ranking for poker hands that doesn’t have a royal flush up top. The same is NOT true for Broadway, which is more just a special name for a special hand. A royal flush is clearly enumerated so uniquitiously that its absolutely a hand ranking.

Royal Straight Flush used to be the go to term. Sounds more impressive.
That's how I remember it. I only started calling it a royal flush in the past 10 years.
Or maybe it's a regional thing.

To me, it's akin to having grand slams and not just home runs.

Very well put. A royal flush is a specific type of straight flush that beats all other straight flushes.

I agree; there should be no distinction.
A straight flush is not a flush.
A royal flush IS a straight flush.

This is the best answer right here on both of these questions.

I agree no distinction is necessary and/but it is pretty universally designated.

In thinking of reasons to justify its inclusion, I guess it could give an implicit indication that Aces are high. Though that seems like a bit of a stretch.

It’s not that I think that 3 pair should beat 2 pair, it’s just that I think 3 pair should get you some kind of partial refund. Or maybe a drink coupon?
I am very late to this party but @upNdown you should get an award for best post of the week!! That shit was halarious and I couldn't agree more!!

Why isn’t there a royal straight? Might call that next game when I have it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom