Found Irvine CA design submissions for Cali set, $750 to the winning design (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorbash

Full House
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I figured I'd post this "wanted ad" in the "wanted" section since most of the people on PCF that I've gotten to know frequent the classified section on a regular basis. I am in the process of putting together a personal Cali relabel set and I am looking for a label design associated with Irvine California.

Backstory

My ex-wife passed away unexpectedly in 2020. At that time my 9-year-old son lived with his mom during the school year in Irvine and with me in the Summer, he obviously now lives with me full time. My 9-year-old son loves poker and probably understands advanced poker math better than I do lol. I'd like to put together a custom Cali set to give to him once he is old enough to appreciate the difference between leaded and non-leaded chips, which may be a way off because right now he only appreciates colors, not weight or sound.

What I am Looking for:

I'm not sure, I just want it to represent where he spent his first 8 years because he looks so fondly upon that time. I spent a decent amount of time in Irvine, and I cannot think of one memorable aspect of Irvine other than every housing unit was the same color, which is why I'm asking for design help. The only thing I request is no surf boards lol.

Thanks everyone for their assistance in advance, I've really enjoyed these first 6 months on PCF.

-Tim

Never been to Irvine CA, but I just did a quick Google and there were two places that seemed like they could stand out as themes for a young kids memories/poker set.

Pretend City, and Boomers. Maybe these places suck irl and your kid as never been there LOL, but just throwing ideas out.

Also tagging @Sprouty since he has a set for his kid and maybe can help more! Can’t wait to see where this goes

Never been to Irvine CA, but I just did a quick Google and there were two places that seemed like they could stand out as themes for a young kids memories/poker set.

Pretend City, and Boomers. Maybe these places suck irl and your kid as never been there LOL, but just throwing ideas out.

Also tagging @Sprouty since he has a set for his kid and maybe can help more! Can’t wait to see where this goes
I appreciate you researching Irvine! Boomers actually was a prime location for 3-hour endeavors with my son when I visited Irvine, but I probably wouldn't form a design around Boomers because I don't think that going to register with him long-term.

I think I'm looking for something Irvine-based that will endure when he's older and playing poker

I’ll do more research in the morning, off another quick glance, seems like Irvine has some cool hiking trail names :
Bommer Canyon
Turtle ridge

Just two examples. I’ll try to think of some more stuff!

I’ll do more research in the morning, off another quick glance, seems like Irvine has some cool hiking trail names :
Bommer Canyon
Turtle ridge

Just two examples. I’ll try to think of some more stuff!
You may be on the right track if you can form a cool design with that, his mom loved hiking in CA and they frequently hiked together (but I have no idea where they specifically hiked).

You may be on the right track if you can form a cool design with that, his mom loved hiking in CA and they frequently hiked together (but I have no idea where they specifically hiked).
Okay it’s a start! Even if this isn’t the final route, hopefully it’ll get some creative juices flowing amongst other members when everyone’s awake haha.

I’ll keep brainstorming and see if I can just sketch a random idea out and maybe it’ll inspire someone :)

Okay it’s a start! Even if this isn’t the final route, hopefully it’ll get some creative juices flowing amongst other members when everyone’s awake haha.

I’ll keep brainstorming and see if I can just sketch a random idea out and maybe it’ll inspire someone :)
I appreciate your efforts to get the ball rolling independent of whether your eventual design wins. I'll find a barrel of $100 chips to send your way as a thank you if you don't win.

I appreciate your efforts to get the ball rolling independent of whether your eventual design wins. I'll find a barrel of $100 chips to send your way as a thank you if you don't win.
I appreciate the kindness but plz, I do not need any more chips I’m trying to get rid of mine LOL.

I appreciate the kindness but plz, I do not need any more chips I’m trying to get rid of mine LOL.
I saw you were moving but I didn't realize you no longer were acquiring chips. In that case, I'll send @FordPickup92 my barrel of Hotel Nevada's that she wanted on your behalf (they won't fit into any set I'm working on she had interest in these chips), which should get you some future brownie points lol.

I have been to Irvine a few to times and the one thing that stands out for me is the Irvine Spectrum Center which has a ferris wheel. Maybe a design with a ferris wheel on it?

I have been to Irvine a few to times and the one thing that stands out for me is the Irvine Spectrum Center which has a ferris wheel. Maybe a design with a ferris wheel on it?
Maybe, depends on the design, although I don't think Irvine is the type of place where any monument is meaningful to the city, so this may require some creativity versus relying on a building as a basis for a label.

This is a heart warming story - I'm sure he will love the set; Almost as much as he loves bonding with you about everything Poker.

All the best to you and your family Tim!

Sorry to hear about your son’s mom, but this is a really cool idea. I live in Orange County, right next to Irvine, and you are right - there are not really ideal buildings or monuments here that you would probably want to build a design around. And houses are pretty much all the same color.

If it were me, I’d probably do something more subtle as a nod to Irvine. I’d find something your son was into and design around that, with an “Irvine, California” designation along the bottom of the inlay. For example, if he is into fish, I’d name it “The Fish Tank” and maybe have a picture of a cartoon fish climbing out of a tank on each chip and Irvine under the denomination. If he is into hiking, you could show hills on the inlay (maybe like @madforpancakes ’s Rainer Room chips).

If there’s something he really liked about Irvine, maybe you could build around that. But unless there’s something down that path, I’d just create something cool around anything else he’s into and put Irvine on the bottom.

I was thinking something related to the Irvine name, there's Clan Irvine and their family crest has the holly plant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Irvine

Just a starting point for ideas.

I do like @wonderpuddle's idea about incorporating something your son's into and putting Irvine as the location.

Another idea for concepts may be a little harder for your son, emotionally, but perhaps something related to a favorite activity that he and your ex-wife shared? He'll most likely have a strong association between Irvine and his mother.

I was thinking something related to the Irvine name, there's Clan Irvine and their family crest has the holly plant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Irvine

Just a starting point for ideas.

I do like @wonderpuddle's idea about incorporating something your son's into and putting Irvine as the location.

Another idea for concepts may be a little harder for your son, emotionally, but perhaps something related to a favorite activity that he and your ex-wife shared? He'll most likely have a strong association between Irvine and his mother.
I think you're headed in the right direction. I think activities they did together like hiking are a good starting point. Yes, they may be a painful reminder, but a main point of this set is to be reminder.

From @wonderpuddle : "If it were me, I’d probably do something more subtle as a nod to Irvine. I’d find something your son was into and design around that, with an “Irvine, California” designation along the bottom of the inlay. For example, if he is into fish, I’d name it “The Fish Tank” and maybe have a picture of a cartoon fish climbing out of a tank on each chip and Irvine under the denomination. If he is into hiking, you could show hills on the inlay (maybe like @madforpancakes ’s Rainer Room chips)."

Hiking was a major interest for him and his mom. So were beach walks. The third was go-karting, but that probably wouldn't work on a small inlay lol..

I really appreciate the suggestions.

there are not really ideal buildings or monuments here that you would probably want to build a design around. And houses are pretty much all the same color.
The more I read this statement the more I laugh and have fond memories of a place that is pretty much not inherently memorable, so thank you :)

I think you're headed in the right direction. I think activities they did together like hiking are a good starting point. Yes, they may be a painful reminder, but a main point of this set is to be reminder.

From @wonderpuddle : "If it were me, I’d probably do something more subtle as a nod to Irvine. I’d find something your son was into and design around that, with an “Irvine, California” designation along the bottom of the inlay. For example, if he is into fish, I’d name it “The Fish Tank” and maybe have a picture of a cartoon fish climbing out of a tank on each chip and Irvine under the denomination. If he is into hiking, you could show hills on the inlay (maybe like @madforpancakes ’s Rainer Room chips)."

Hiking was a major interest for him and his mom. So were beach walks. The third was go-karting, but that probably wouldn't work on a small inlay lol..

Sorry for your loss, and double sorry for your son's loss.

I definitely think you could work each of his favourite things to do with him mum into the inlays and even the chio colours. The beach for example would be the perfect $5 and hikes could be a frac maybe? I don't think there is any real standard for frac colours in Cali? And you could do some sort of chequered flag hundo with a third colour to match his kart or something.

And then as @wonderpuddle said you could just put Irvine, Cali on the inlay. That would be a really nice way for him to remember his mum.

Best of luck.

This is an absolutely heartwarming story — so sorry for your loss, buddy.

I'm wondering whether there's any way each inlay could represent a different interest they both enjoyed? The circle of a go-karting tyre would work perfectly, I think. For example, you could have something like Irvine Club on the top where Pirelli is, then California or the denomination across the bottom where P Zero is:

1024px-F1_tire_Pirelli_PZero_White.svg.png

This is an absolutely heartwarming story — so sorry for your loss, buddy.

I'm wondering whether there's any way each inlay could represent a different interest they both enjoyed? The circle of a go-karting tyre would work perfectly, I think. For example, you could have something like Irvine Club on the top where Pirelli is, then California or the denomination across the bottom where P Zero is:

View attachment 885443
You could use a compass to represent hiking, too?

images (28).jpeg

Tim,

This is a noble chip design idea, your son will be lucky to have it.

I’ve been researching for an hour and the only thing that really resonates with me that captures a design and feel of family is the irvine spectrum center giant wheel. Checks all the boxes for me being a recognizable landmark too.

I can riff on this more if you’re interested.

Best,
Dan
C9FDE3C2-FEE9-4CB7-8663-B3685AFF404B.jpeg

Tim,

This is a noble chip design idea, your son will be lucky to have it.

I’ve been researching for an hour and the only thing that really resonates with me that captures a design and feel of family is the irvine spectrum center giant wheel. Checks all the boxes for me being a recognizable landmark too.

I can riff on this more if you’re interested.

Best,
Dan View attachment 885469
Looks like they often change colors on it and put designs on it. So lots of choices and customizability
CAEE2F91-1476-41C8-8205-863E8B6847BD.jpeg

Attachments

• 67C0D51A-B884-40CC-8598-9E7925CD2273.jpeg
    67C0D51A-B884-40CC-8598-9E7925CD2273.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 1F5A92BD-AABF-4BB5-AADE-9E75CCA76AE3.jpeg
    1F5A92BD-AABF-4BB5-AADE-9E75CCA76AE3.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 43
  • D4B52136-FB8D-41D2-AF62-9344BBEAD0A4.jpeg
    D4B52136-FB8D-41D2-AF62-9344BBEAD0A4.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 41
  • BDC8E53D-AF27-4EAC-89BD-7B299B34E064.jpeg
    BDC8E53D-AF27-4EAC-89BD-7B299B34E064.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 42
  • A73564F4-7168-43C8-8720-6C6AEB80C51C.jpeg
    A73564F4-7168-43C8-8720-6C6AEB80C51C.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 61E13421-E498-4A05-87C9-5F2FF3C2EE07.jpeg
    61E13421-E498-4A05-87C9-5F2FF3C2EE07.jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 41
Have a name in mind for the set/design, or based on your son's name? I have an idea or two but suck too much with actual drawing to take my ideas to the canvas.

I saw you were moving but I didn't realize you no longer were acquiring chips. In that case, I'll send @FordPickup92 my barrel of Hotel Nevada's that she wanted on your behalf (they won't fit into any set I'm working on she had interest in these chips), which should get you some future brownie points lol.
I don't know what events occured for this to happen but this is a wonderful blessing :love::love:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom