Wanted iPad with cellular capability (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snooptodd

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread speaks for itself. Looking for an older, gently used iPad that I could get cell service for. Vast majority of surfing would likely be done on WiFi, but would want to have the ability to use from anywhere.

ipad or ipad mini?

I have a 32 gig ipad mini 2 (retina screen) that's in near mint condition that I could probably sell.

Mike

I'm not too particular. Mini would actually probably be best. Looking for something I can take with me while bike touring, so smaller would probably be better. What are you thinking in terms of price?

I'm not too particular. Mini would actually probably be best. Looking for something I can take with me while bike touring, so smaller would probably be better. What are you thinking in terms of price?
I don't know, to be honest. I just have it sitting, haven't used it in a while. (I think last time was when I took it with me to Israel in December.)

Shoot me an email mike96 at gmail.com

Mike

Okay, stupid question. If an iPad is on a given network, does it have to stay on that network? Or can you change it to a new network?

Sincerely,
Guy that still owns a flip phone

Okay, stupid question. If an iPad is on a given network, does it have to stay on that network? Or can you change it to a new network?

Sincerely,
Guy that still owns a flip phone

Depends where you live and who the carrier is. If a cellular device is locked (i.e. to the carrier's network) then yes, you can only use it on that carrier's network.

Some carriers will unlock your device (usually for a fee) once the initial contract period is over, i.e. the device has been paid for by the monthly contract for 2 years or whatever.

Once a device is unlocked, or if it was unlocked in the first place -- for example, Apple will sell unlocked iPads directly to the consumer in Canada -- then you can use it with whatever carrier you want.

iPads in general are factory unlocked. They are not locked to a carrier.

The only caveat to this, is that Verizon has a registry of all devices for their network, and will not allow other devices onto their network.

It used to be that it was competing technologies at play. CDMA vs GSM , however that has become way less of a concern these days (however, the bands that a device works on can be different internationally vs North America).

I have used two different canadian sim cards, and 2 different us sim cards, as well as a UK sim card and an israeli sim card in one of my ipads. (and my unlocked phones).

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom