INTEREST - Chipco Egyptian Group Buy (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjdev7

Full House
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Fellow chippers,

I have really exciting news. I’ve spoken to GOCC, and they’ve agreed to remake the legendary Chipco Egyptians, complete with Octagons and Plaques, on their Protech blanks.

I’ve never done a group buy before, but I also realize that this is bigger than me because these chips are just so damn sexy. So, I’m going to give this a shot (be patient with me, please!). Before placing an order, I’d like to gauge interest from PCF to see if I can meet the minimum order size to qualify for a price break. Something tells me this won't be a problem :)

I am planning to purchase somewhere around 1000 myself :whistle: :whistling:

Prices:

39mm chips

.89c per chip under 2000
.63c per chip over 2000
50 chip minimum per denomination
1k and 5k Octagons

$1.35 per Octagon
25 chip minimum per denomination​

5k Plaques

$5.00 per 5k Plaque
25 plaque minimum​

Actual shipping from me to you will be extra, and I plan to spread out my cost of shipping from GOCC to me to everyone involved in the group buy since I imagine it’s going to be heavy and costly. I am entertaining shipping to the UK + Continental USA, but I need to see how much shipping will cost before I decide for sure.

For now, just tell me if you’re interested, what breakdown you’d like, and where you’re located (e.g. Country), and I will make the call after doing some research.

Note: I don’t really want to buy a HUGE amount of chips, so depending on interest, I will do first come first served until I feel like I’ve reached the amount of chips where my girlfriend won’t leave me for having them shipped to my Manhattan sized apartment.

Artwork Pictures from GOCC:

9qzlvbfq6kBRAXLSLXZaBgLg54O4lI1rj95A92Cu7eGJ-JZWzvkTUXcqUaGkuEkqwYvLK8p1x4rgUzNMQBOmnq13Oo3CgQC7aOAX_AI2Sg-MNg1-FQDzkZCj-6zpnblcNXq-0qZ1

Plaques (originals from my set since GOCC didn’t have any art samples):

full

full

Thanks!

Last edited:
Check with Michael for permissions on these?

Apologies, not sure who Michael is, but I did ask GOCC if they had rights to the original artwork and they assured me they did. Can you elaborate please?

Last edited:
My chip funds are depleted right now but if this doesn't happen until early next year then I would likely be in for a high-denom set.
I might even think about designing a 25K chip/plaque. Anyone else interested in 25K or 100K denoms?

I'm definitely in for some (probably 50) of the $1k octagons.

Intriguing. I'm interested but don't have a breakdown in mind yet. I'll give it some thought.

I am very interested. However, I do think Michael S. Patton (of holdempokerchips.com) should probably be contacted to see if this is a kosher thing. I was under the impression that he commisioned or designed these, and had rights to the design?

EDIT: I am not sure I have Michael's name correct, or if holdempokerchips was his site. I may be confused. I am sure someone from Chiptalk can chime in here and confirm/clarify.

Last edited:
5c chips that cost $1.25 each.

Which is probably nothing compared to what it costs to make CPC nickels :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Amen brother. Some here look at $1.25 as a big discount to their regular chip prices. The CPC regulars and the TRK addicts come to mind.

All joking aside though, doubling up on high denomination art and making one also a nickel will sell more chips.

But what about my ultra ultra ultra deep .05-.10 NL game? How will we tell the nickels from the $5000s?

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
If someone has more info on Michael please let me know (PM me). I certainly want to do the right thing here. I just know that GOCC said they own the artwork and could reproduce.

Judging from holdempokerchips it looks like they only have dealer buttons left in stock (I ordered one already a couple of weeks back when I found my Chipco tournament set of Egyptians).

Perhaps we just won’t get dealer buttons from GOCC then.

Anyway, I will look into this some more. Please be patient with me though because I’m currently in India for business, coming back to NYC on Saturday night (11/11)

Thanks!

If my PNY's sell I might be in for a 500 chip cash set. These were some of my favorite ceramic chip designs.

Like I said, let’s please be patient. Last thing we want is to do something that backfires and ruins our reputation with GOCC. I see this and the Yaks group buy as a big opportunity for all of us moving forward.

@BGinGA and @jja412 are right in that we should do right by the creator of this artwork and respect his intellectual property.

You have my word I will make this an official group buy as soon as I have the green light. I’m as excited as you all about this!!

Apologies, not sure who Michael is, but I did ask GOCC if they had rights to the original artwork and they assured me they did. Can you elaborate please?
I am very interested. However, I do think Michael S. Patton (of holdempokerchips.com) should probably be contacted to see if this is a kosher thing. I was under the impression that he commisioned or designed these, and had rights to the design?

EDIT: I am not sure I have Michael's name correct, or if holdempokerchips was his site. I may be confused. I am sure someone from Chiptalk can chime in here and confirm/clarify.
^^ No, you are absoluetly correct. I think Michael Patton @MSPatton (holdempokerchips.com) has the rights to at least the plaque artwork, and probably all of the chip artwork, too. I'd guess that's why GOCC doesn't have the plaque artwork, because the plaques were not manufactured by Chipco (I think he ended up using two different vendors over time).

And just because GOCC has possession of artwork of previously Chipco-produced chips does not mean that they own the rights or have permission to use it. That's like saying CPC has the right to produce chips for somebody else using your custom artwork that was previously used by ASM to produce chips for your original custom order...... just because a manufacturing company has physical possession of artwork doesn't mean they own it or have the rights to use it.

Next prudent action is to contact Michael before moving forward on anything.

Last edited:
They have the artwork for the plaques as well. They just didn’t include it in the art sheet and I didn’t want to have too many back-and-forth conversations on an already long email, when we are still gauging interest at this point.

That said, you are correct and I appreciate you providing me with historic context that I didn’t have. While I love chipping as much as the next guy, I’m still relatively new to this so you’ve been helpful.

Like I said, let’s please be patient. Last thing we want is to do something that backfires and ruins our reputation with GOCC. I see this and the Yaks group buy as a big opportunity for all of us moving forward.

@BGinGA and @jja412 are right in that we should do right by the creator of this artwork and respect his intellectual property.

You have my word I will make this an official group buy as soon as I have the green light. I’m as excited as you all about this!!

Ha totally kidding!

According to the holdempokerchips.com web site, the artwork was designed by Greg Cagle (TenPercenter, the owner of chiptalk.net). Good luck getting in contact with that asshole.

According to the holdempokerchips.com web site, the artwork was designed by Greg Cagle (TenPercenter, the owner of chiptalk.net). Good luck getting in contact with that asshole.
Ouch.

You could collect a typical artwork fee in a separate transaction. If in a year you haven't found the asshole, everybody gets that money back.

Edit - Assuming the artwork is still his.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom